The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Loui Could Do Us A Solid.

Rate this topic

Cat Man

IMG_1258.thumb.JPG.d579df1d1428bef82603a8d91573928f.JPG

Not up on the jargon and details like some around these parts but could he opt costing him 1 mil in salary, the team could forgo the toll and gain 6 mil in cap?

My demonstratably piss poor computer skills proof I must surely be mistaken? 

Can players opt-out?--Player.textClipping

Edited by debluvscanucks
Changed The Title
  • Wat 2

1 hour ago, canuktravella said:

then wed be on the hook for eriksson til 2023 no thanks hopefully he just retires hes definately the worst signing in canucks history other than messier 

I'd even argue that he's done more damage than Messier did. There was no salary cap back then, plus we got Bertuzzi in the Linden trade. 

• Thanks 1
  • Wat 1
  • Upvote 1

6 hours ago, mll said:

Opting out costs him 4M.  Can't see how the league would allow him to retain the 3M in bonus and opt out.  Would probably trigger an investigation if players take their bonus and then opt out with teams not reclaiming the bonuses.  

I don't think anyone could possibly come to the conclusion that we signed him to a contract 4 years ago to use this as a loophole, for a pandemic we knew was coming.... That's pretty ridiculous.

6 hours ago, mll said:

Opting out costs him 4M.  Can't see how the league would allow him to retain the 3M in bonus and opt out.  Would probably trigger an investigation if players take their bonus and then opt out with teams not reclaiming the bonuses.  

translation: American teams and especially Sunbelt American teams can do this but Canadian teams will be fined if they do this

• Huggy Bear 1

4 minutes ago, aGENT said:

I don't think anyone could possibly come to the conclusion that we signed him to a contract 4 years ago to use this as a loophole, for a pandemic we knew was coming.... That's pretty ridiculous.

If the Canucks allow him to keep his 3M bonus and have him skip the season - that would surely get investigated.   One year less on his contract and his cap hit gets erased for the season.   Was written before seeing the Puckpedia tweet that excludes that scenario - either he plays or has to give up his full 4M. 

I've accepted that he's going to play out his contract, everyone else should start accepting that too so you don't get your hopes up.  If anything but him playing out his contract happens just consider it an unexpected bonus. 

I was dead wrong on this guy in one respect - I thought he was a team guy, he is.  I thought he was a good PK'er, he is.  I thought he was versatile in the lineup,  he is somewhat.  I thought he could still generate some offense to the end of his contract because his game relies on positioning and reading play vs outright skill/speed/strength,  I was dead wrong.   I hope I'm  also wrong that JB/Green will keep him on the roster and continue to spew the line that he still contributes to the team in other ways.

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, Goat James said:

I'd even argue that he's done more damage than Messier did. There was no salary cap back then, plus we got Bertuzzi in the Linden trade. 

I'll give Loui this. He's a boat anchor. At least he's not trying to run the team, and make the GM trade for the players he wants. 

• Like 1