The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[GDT/PGT] Vancouver Canucks vs Montreal Canadiens | January 23, 2021 | 4 p.m. PT | CBC, SN, CITY, TVAS

Rate this topic

-SN-

Just now, Wayne Glensky said:

Should we trade them Stawns? Or cut their pay? Offer them league minimum contracts ? You seem to know what this team needs more than anyone on here so why don’t you give JB a call and lay your plan on the table. Coach Stawns to the rescue. 

Cut their ice time, play the players putting in the effort more.  Put them in the press box for a game of two, light a fire under their butts.  Right now they look like they believe their own hype

Just now, N7Nucks said:

I wanted at the very least Baumer and Brown gone after last season. Extending them at Christmas was a huge mistake. But at that point we were top 10 in both defense and on the PP. So they got their little one year extensions as a reward but the team fell off once they started playing more games against better teams. Now we ended up stuck with them coming into this season. I wasn't expecting this kind of start, but I knew it was a possibility. I had no faith in this coaching staff during their hot streak at the beginning of last season. And at that time we had a red hot Markstrom bailing us out.

I was astonished they got extensions, our powerplay was inflated by feasting on weaker teams last season. We'd have a red hot night on the powerplay and then it'd vanish for stretches at a time. PK had Marky playing behind them, and our team defense was definitely better than what we've seen thus far. 

Holtby and Demko shoulder their share of blame, but I don't think they deserve to be used as scapegoats given how the rest of the guys have played in front of them. I havent thought goaltending to be our issue, any NHL goaltender is going to have a hard time when the team in front of them is giving up high quality scoring chances the way we have been. 

1 minute ago, whcanuck said:

I would love to know what the psychology of the locker room is right now. Bewilderment? Confusion? Panic? We can only speculate, but I’d really love to be a fly on the wall and find out what’s going on. Green has to be starting to sweat, same with JB. 

According to Hughes there a step in the right direction?

4 minutes ago, nuck-lifer said:

People talk about firing the whole coaching staff.

If their not going to fire Green at this point which I don't think they should, why not demote Baumer or fire him.

Move Jarvis or someone from outside the org into that position.

Change the optics without canning the whole staff right now so there can be an effective reset possibly

Last playoffs they raved about how they tightened up their game for the playoffs to win a couple rounds. Why didn't that carry over into this season?

Confused...

Effort

• Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

And cleaning house with the coaching staff as well. Benning’s had 6-7 years. That’s enough in my book. 

Start fresh

I don’t understand TG. I don’t mind the guy. But it seems like he tries to coach via mental games and tricks all the time.

• Huggy Bear 1

First, I gotta get this off my chest:

suspect reffing: calls missed (the hit from behind, toffoli running Holtby) calls made (beagles penalty)  AND THAT WAS OFF SIDE!!!!

Ok now...

the effort tonight was better. But we keep shooting our selves in the foot. If the brain farts stop, we start winning. Too many times, our defence goes to make a pass and whoops, flubs it, goes the other way, goal. Argh!!!!

Zack attack was great, he hustles, he hit, he caused havoc, he caused the ice to shift. After his shift, the Canucks got pressure in the offensive zone. Keep him in the line up. 

I thought Juolevi did everything right on Montreal’s second goal. OJ shot the puck, almost scored hitting the post, hustled back, got his stick in the way, and well, hockey gods are like nope it’s going in. 

Yet another game of the Canucks losing, as opposed to the other team winning. At least tonight, there was some effort, and push back.

Zero dark thirty is on, that will cheer me up!

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, stawns said:

So, talent wise, what's different than last year?  I'd agree on Marky, but you want to pay him $6m until he's in his late30s and lose Demko in the ED?

Everyone else was replaced with equal level players.........the only one that could be called a cap casualty was TT, but most know how I would have managed that

Marky held us in most of those games.  The ice was tilted.  Our warts were covered be goaltending.  I don’t know if it was the passive defensive system we played our if we Lacked the personnel but the ice looked tilted.  

look at our d.  We are still hanging our hat on old man edler .  He’s had the better part of A decade to fix the d.  Other than Hughes who do we have in the pipe that can help us take the next step? 

this is a results business and someone needs to be held accountable for this.  

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Toyotasfan said:

I think the Canucks need a small trade, has to be a roster regular  , if they don’t respond the coaching staff is next. 

And wait two weeks for quarantine?  They don't have the depth for that