The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

(Rumour) Virtanen on the trade block

Send wake and bake Jake to Ottawa for Logan Brown. 

Both big bodies with no consistency and need change of scenery.  Brown at the very least can play center.

On 2/17/2021 at 6:08 AM, Canuckster86 said:

Colin Miller? Rather us just get a pick/prospect back, bigger contract with holes in his game. Buffalo is deep at RHD tho: Ristolainen, Miller, Montour, Jokiharu, Borgen,  Fitzgerald and Laaksonen.

Buffalo would be a good trade option for the Canucks.

On 2/17/2021 at 9:17 AM, Wolfgang Durst said:
Canucks looking for a young forward in return for Virtanen

TSN: Darren Dreger said that there is still interest in Vancouver Canucks forward Jake Virtanen despite only have one goal this season. The Canucks are looking for a young forward in return for Virtanen. Teams are paying attention to his ice-time and one Monday he played just under seven minutes.

“Keep in mind though that Jake Virtanen has another year left on his deal at $2.55 million and why that is important is because of that flat salary cap of $81.5 million, but it’s also important to the Vancouver Canucks for a cap perspective and a cash standpoint. There has to be the right financial fit for the Vancouver Canucks to make this deal happen. Now Vancouver also wants a young forward in return, so we’ll keep this one on the watch list.”

6 minutes ago, garthsbutcher said:

I’ll take Frosty the Snowman at this point

lol

Virtanen isn’t that bad. He’s just massively overshadowed by Boeser, Pettersson and Hughes. 

Aquilini mentioned those three as well as Podkolzin. But not Virtanen or Juolevi. Juolevi probably because he’s finally arrived. But Virtanen was the first of all the firsts. No endorsement.

• Cheers 1

The drafting under Jim Benning has been more hit then miss.  I'm fine with trading Virtanen for a pick.  A second or even a third.  If you can do better then by all means do so. 

When you cannot count on any sort of consistency or reliability from a player, yet your hoping  you will every time you throw him in, it's an enigma.  Bye; Jake!

• Cheers 1

17 minutes ago, 48MPHSlapShot said:

The drafting under Jim Benning has been more hit then miss.  I'm fine with trading Virtanen for a pick.  A second or even a third.  If you can do better then by all means do so. 

When you cannot count on any sort of consistency or reliability from a player, yet your hoping  you will every time you throw him in, it's an enigma.  Bye; Jake!

3rd round picks under Benning:

Tryamkin

Brisebois

Lockwood

DiPietro 

Madden

Jurmo

If you can get a 3rd for Virtanen you absolutely take it. That could be a valuable piece based on Jimbo’s track record.

55 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Tryamkin

Brisebois

Lockwood

DiPietro 

Madden

Jurmo

If you can get a 3rd for Virtanen you absolutely take it. That could be a valuable piece based on Jimbo’s track record.

a 3rd is such a risk and based on the above players none have proven to be everyday regular NHLers yet. Yes some are young and new picks I get that. I think a known commodity would be a better return, similar player under performing on a different team. At least we would know they can play in the league.

But yes, at this point I think pick wise a 3rd would be the highest a team would offer. The team isn't helping the situation with benching him or giving him 4th line minutes tho if they were trying to move him for the best return they could. I bet even after his 18g year last year the offers wouldn't have been that great but likely better then than now.

Still think I would hold on to Jake and bring in a New Coach to give the entire team a fresh slate. Someone willing to break up all line combos and put things in a blender and see what happens. Think Green and Jake have hit the breaking point where the coach won't give him more ice and the player knows it and isn't working hard enough to earn or prove he can contribute more to the team.

Unfortunately Virtanen is not going to morph into our Tom Wilson or Kassian type of power forward who hits and fights. 

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Canuckster86 said:

a 3rd is such a risk and based on the above players none have proven to be everyday regular NHLers yet. Yes some are young and new picks I get that. I think a known commodity would be a better return, similar player under performing on a different team. At least we would know they can play in the league.

Unfortunately Jake has not proven he can be an everyday NHLer yet despite being drafted almost 7 years ago and being given many opportunities.

All of those third round picks are still in the system and look like they will be good trade chips at the very least.  

Right now the best Virtanen will return is an underperforming project like you said. I’m really not sure that’s better value than just starting fresh with a new draft pick.

Either way the time to part ways with Virtanen is now unless a new coach is coming in and they think that can make a difference. Only way I’d give him another chance is if a coach like Gallant could get through to him.

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Unfortunately Jake has not proven he can be an everyday NHLer yet despite being drafted almost 7 years ago and being given many opportunities.

All of those third round picks are still in the system and look like they will be good trade chips at the very least.  

Right now the best Virtanen will return is an underperforming project like you said. I’m really not sure that’s better value than just starting fresh with a new draft pick.

Either way the time to part ways with Virtanen is now unless a new coach is coming in and they think that can make a difference. Only way I’d give him another chance is if a coach like Gallant could get through to him.

Agree, don't think a new coach will make a difference but I would hate to sell him off for cheap and then see him become a solid 9F who contributes regularly. 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

1 hour ago, DeNiro said:

Tryamkin

Brisebois

Lockwood

DiPietro 

Madden

Jurmo

Virtanen, while still not all that he could, or should, or is hoped to be is still much better than the potential I see with these guys. I see more potential for maybe "pretty goodness", but not really greatness. I'd be happy to be shown wrong when/if they ever make it to the NHL (assuming that they are still with the Canucks, eg. Madden). 

regards,  G.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, DeNiro said:

Tryamkin

Brisebois

Lockwood

DiPietro 

Madden

Jurmo

tryamkin

dipietro

brisebois

have all played NHL games

Lockwood and Madden very well could, Jurmo - it is too early to say

3/6 3rd rounders to play in the nhl is pretty good, and Nikita could have had several hundred games under his belt if he didn't leave

• Cheers 1

27 minutes ago, Gollumpus said:

Virtanen, while still not all that he could, or should, or is hoped to be is still much better than the potential I see with these guys. I see more potential for maybe "pretty goodness", but not really greatness. I'd be happy to be shown wrong when/if they ever make it to the NHL (assuming that they are still with the Canucks, eg. Madden). 

regards,  G.

All Virtanen is now is failed potential.

I don’t see guys who still have potential to be regulars for us having less value than a guy that will probably be waiver fodder in a couple years.

Anyone of those guys becoming a regular bottom 6, bottom pair D, or backup would be enough to provide better value. I see that as likely if not probable at this point for at least two or three of them.

It would be interesting to know whether or not JB tried to shop Jake in the offseason and didn't like the offers.  Or did he simply sign him and expect that he would have a turnaround after a poor playoffs?  Hard to know for sure.

Anyway it must be very disappointing for JB at this point.  Jake us the biggest disappointment on the team this year IMO. If he had continued to trend upward on his 36 points last year he would be a very valuable 3rd line winger .  As it is now he is likely not going to be her much longer. And the return could be low.

Gaudette I feel still has a chance to improve.  He is not getting points but man he must have had 20 good scoring chances this year that he just failed to cash in.  He could turn it around the second half of this season.  No guarantees but we shall see.

• Cheers 1

3 hours ago, DeNiro said:

He played 69 of 69 games last year and was #6 in scoring among forwards. I think you are getting carried away there.

• Cheers 1

4 hours ago, Me_ said:

lol

Virtanen isn’t that bad. He’s just massively overshadowed by Boeser, Pettersson and Hughes. 

Aquilini mentioned those three as well as Podkolzin. But not Virtanen or Juolevi. Juolevi probably because he’s finally arrived. But Virtanen was the first of all the firsts. No endorsement.

I wonder who are the Canucks top 5 prospects right now?

Not a great list but it looks worse than it is because of all the graduates to the big club.

1. Podkolzin

2. Lind

3. DiPietro

4. Rathbone

5. Woo

They could afford to add a top 6 prospect preferably a 2 way center like Matty Berniers the super American  and Michigan Wolverine freshmen or a right hand shot d man like Brandt Clarke, Ottawa native playing in a Slovak men's league.

The other options being Kent Johnson the BC boy who plays for the college hockey powerhouse Michigan Wolverines as well.

Also there is Aku Raty the big Finn who plays a solid 2 way game in the top men's league in Finland. 

• Vintage 1

10 minutes ago, Chip Kelly said:

I wonder who are the Canucks top 5 prospects right now?

Not a great list but it looks worse than it is because of all the graduates to the big club.

1. Podkolzin

2. Lind

3. DiPietro

4. Rathbone

5. Woo

They could afford to add a top 6 prospect preferably a 2 way center like Matty Berniers the super American  and Michigan Wolverine freshmen or a right hand shot d man like Brandt Clarke, Ottawa native playing in a Slovak men's league.

The other options being Kent Johnson the BC boy who plays for the college hockey powerhouse Michigan Wolverines as well.

Also there is Aku Raty the big Finn who plays a solid 2 way game in the top men's league in Finland. 

IMO Beniers and Clarke make the most sense for this team but really couldn't go wrong with any of the other D in the top 10.

We don't really need any wingers. If we get Beniers we could keep Petey at wing.

If we were really ballsy and wanted to solidify the goaltending for the next decade then Wallstedt would be a good pickup and would be a good successor to Demko(7 years older). That's thinking really long-term though.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, fanfor42 said:

It would be interesting to know whether or not JB tried to shop Jake in the offseason and didn't like the offers.  Or did he simply sign him and expect that he would have a turnaround after a poor playoffs?  Hard to know for sure.

Anyway it must be very disappointing for JB at this point.  Jake us the biggest disappointment on the team this year IMO. If he had continued to trend upward on his 36 points last year he would be a very valuable 3rd line winger .  As it is now he is likely not going to be her much longer. And the return could be low.

Gaudette I feel still has a chance to improve.  He is not getting points but man he must have had 20 good scoring chances this year that he just failed to cash in.  He could turn it around the second half of this season.  No guarantees but we shall see.

MacIntyre says they’ve shopped him this off- season and pegged his value around a 3rd round pick but believes Vancouver expected more. 

https://www.sportsnet.ca/nhl/article/canucks-virtanen-trade-market-team-looks-shake-stupor/

Edited by mll

23 minutes ago, Junkyard Dog said:

IMO Beniers and Clarke make the most sense for this team but really couldn't go wrong with any of the other D in the top 10.

We don't really need any wingers. If we get Beniers we could keep Petey at wing.

If we were really ballsy and wanted to solidify the goaltending for the next decade then Wallstedt would be a good pickup and would be a good successor to Demko(7 years older). That's thinking really long-term though.

I expect the other top D Owen Power and Luke Hughes to be off the board when the Canucks pick.

Center or d for me is the ideal pick.

Goalies are such wildcards Wallstedt would be a luxury pick for the Canucks as they have a gaping hole in their top 4 d core.

Another poster said somewhere that Schmidt or Myers could have to be exposed in the expansion draft as well.

1 hour ago, coryberg said:

He played 69 of 69 games last year and was #6 in scoring among forwards. I think you are getting carried away there.

And this season has barely been able to stay in the lineup or play effectively when he does. I don’t see anything that tells me his game hasn’t plateaued.

At this point inconsistency and not proving to be an every day NHLer has been shown more than not.