The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

(Rumour) Virtanen on the trade block

honestly I dislike Nylander and have talked a lot of trash about him in the past. 

However if Pete okd it I would accept it. 6x6 isnt a good look and TO should be looking to move him for whatever they can get. If its Virtanen Pearson or something like that going the other way I would be willing to take the chance.

On 2/17/2021 at 9:17 AM, Wolfgang Durst said:
Canucks looking for a young forward in return for Virtanen

TSN: Darren Dreger said that there is still interest in Vancouver Canucks forward Jake Virtanen despite only have one goal this season. The Canucks are looking for a young forward in return for Virtanen. Teams are paying attention to his ice-time and one Monday he played just under seven minutes.

“Keep in mind though that Jake Virtanen has another year left on his deal at $2.55 million and why that is important is because of that flat salary cap of $81.5 million, but it’s also important to the Vancouver Canucks for a cap perspective and a cash standpoint. There has to be the right financial fit for the Vancouver Canucks to make this deal happen. Now Vancouver also wants a young forward in return, so we’ll keep this one on the watch list.”

I am surprised they would not consider a RHD ?

Also surprised when this time last year Benning said he wanted another top 6 winger (while still having Jake)

Gave up tradeable assets to get TT and then let the top 6 winger who wanted to stay, walk and have him sign $4 million somewhere else?

Confusing plan, after 20 games of signing him the Jake experiment is over?

2 hours ago, sassbs said:

Why does everyone like nylander. He’s a perimeter player, Raymond 2.0.  

Toronto can’t stand this fool.   He’s getting ripped front page news, calling him an IKEA project.  He comes with assembly with missing pieces and difficult instructions to build.  

f this guy. And he’s signed for 6 years!!!  
Id rather masterbate on a Cheese grater then to see this clown in a Canucks uniform! 

........ serenity now.... ok I’m calm again

I mean, it's not like we'd be trading major pieces for him. If we can get him for Virtanen (and I assume other smaller pieces), I'd be positively surprised. 

But I highly doubt this would happen for the sole reason that Virtanen is not even remotely close in value to Nylander. This would be like some other team trading a bottom-6 guy for our top-6 secondary scoring, which would be the equivalent of someone like Pearson on our team. 

9 minutes ago, guntrix said:

I mean, it's not like we'd be trading major pieces for him. If we can get him for Virtanen (and I assume other smaller pieces), I'd be positively surprised. 

But I highly doubt this would happen for the sole reason that Virtanen is not even remotely close in value to Nylander. This would be like some other team trading a bottom-6 guy for our top-6 secondary scoring, which would be the equivalent of someone like Pearson on our team. 

I think it would actually be a fair trade given the fact Nylander’s cap hit is 6.9. 

I actually wouldn’t make it given the cap situation. 

• Cheers 2

1 hour ago, J-Dizzle said:

I think it would actually be a fair trade given the fact Nylander’s cap hit is 6.9. 

and since considering TT was 4?

Lol, it would be like what we traded to get TT and throw in Jake and another $-3 mil/year just to have another winger

Edited by ba;;isticsports

1 hour ago, ba;;isticsports said:

I am surprised they would not consider a RHD ?

Also surprised when this time last year Benning said he wanted another top 6 winger (while still having Jake)

Gave up tradeable assets to get TT and then let the top 6 winger who wanted to stay, walk and have him sign $4 million somewhere else?

Confusing plan, after 20 games of signing him the Jake experiment is over?

they would consider a RHD

Dreger is a garbage source where this team is concerned - a troll - doesn't know shizz.  Take anything he says with a box of salt.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

This team has no use for Nylander.

He's another RW - if they're dealing Virtanen or Gaudette for a forward, imo it would be for a center or natural center playing LW.

And further - committing that kind of cap and term to Nylander - would be a horrible idea.  This team has it's own youth to pay in due course - and no shortage of young players to fill their R winger spots.   Boeser is better than Nylander and no way in hell I'd be displacing a steal like Hoglander (on an ELC, and a 200ft buzzsaw) with the 7 million double flamingo - the absolute last direction this team needs to be going at this point.  If they left a spot for Hoglander open at the cost of having to forego signing Toffoli, why tf would they take on considerably more cap to accommodate a lesser player than Toffoli?

Future team needs are pretty evident - Hughes' partner and succession C/LW.

Tryamkin might be an option for Hughes - Chatfield is good depth = room to upgrade, but not urgent.

They could use more succession options at center, but again, not urgent - a possibilty Sutter re-signs at lesser term and cap, and they have options at LW (including Podkolzin who can probably play either wing quite effectively).   Pearson, Roussel, Sutter successions - not particularly urgent - but if they could shift some of their depth using Gaudette or Virtanen, they test the market.

Edited by oldnews
  • Cheers 3

1 hour ago, J-Dizzle said:

One is struggling with 1 point in 15 games, and the other is also "struggling" with 12 points in 17 games. I wouldn't consider it a fair trade, even taking into account the cap hits and the fact that Jake isn't physical consistently enough to warrant consideration on some of the intangibles that he brings outside of points.  

But I agree about the cap situation being problematic. Regardless of whether Dubas would entertain a Virtanen-Nylander trade, some bigger pieces would have to move just to be able to accommodate that contract. 

There's probably better trade partners for the Leafs. 

• Cheers 1

29 minutes ago, guntrix said:

One is struggling with 1 point in 15 games, and the other is also "struggling" with 12 points in 17 games. I wouldn't consider it a fair trade, even taking into account the cap hits and the fact that Jake isn't physical consistently enough to warrant consideration on some of the intangibles that he brings outside of points.  

But I agree about the cap situation being problematic. Regardless of whether Dubas would entertain a Virtanen-Nylander trade, some bigger pieces would have to move just to be able to accommodate that contract. 

There's probably better trade partners for the Leafs. 

One is also playing in the top 6 on one of the most offensively potent teams in the league while the other is playing limited minutes in the bottom six on the Canucks. Cap is such a commodity right now I think you're basically looking at apples and oranges. Fair value you probably have to add a bit if you identified you wanted Nylander (from a Canucks perspective) but that cap hit throws anything close to fair value out the window. 

I don't know that there are any good trade partners for the Leafs in this case simply because of the cap issue. It will be interesting to see if a trade happens!

If TO wanted to get rid of Bill that bad they can just expose him in the expansion......  basically the only reason I could see JB acquiring him is to protect Holtbeast from Seattle and that could certainly backfire. 

Maxemilliam on the other hand might work but I don't see any reason why Chi would want to make that trade. 

If that twitter msg is to be believed, which I don't, the Nylander trade, as a few mentioned, would be for Alex not Willy (not a fan of either) and makes more sense. The cost in assets to get Willy would be too much and his contract doesn't fit with the current roster. 

Alex on the other hand does. The trade would be 1 for 1. Both Jake and Alex had promising regular seasons last year but poor playoff performance. Yes Alex is injured and recovering from a knee surgery (recovering better than expected thus far) but this  fits into what had been mentioned in what the Canucks may want.

1 a younger forward  2. Clear some cap space. Alex is in the final year of his ELC  and most likely won't be playing this year at all. 

The Canucks would be saving a couple million this year and since Alex hasn't been playing his contract next yeat will be cheap, it most likely would be a one or two year show me contract under a million. Also if Alex is still on LTIR when the expansion draft happens, I believe he may not have to be protected? Not sure though. 

If the team wants a young forward in return i think it be better to target either Michael McLeod from NJ or Henrik Borgstrom from Florida. Both play C, which the team needs and the cost should be 1 for 1. 

6 hours ago, ba;;isticsports said:

5 hours ago, ba;;isticsports said:

and since considering TT was 4?

4.25 million 

Not looking to trade Virtanen, but if I were I might be looking at someone like Scott Laughton. He's smaller (20+ lbs?), but seems to play a fairly physical game, has reasonable points for what is a 3C(?), and has a pretty good faceoff percentage (better than Gaudette). I think this is someone after whom I'd like Gaudette to pattern his game.

I've only done a minor amount of research here, so please give me the low down on this guy beyond cap hit. I also expect that there would have to be a significant add by Vancouver.

regards,  G.

• Cheers 1