The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[GDT/PGT] Vancouver Canucks vs. Edmonton Oilers | February 25, 2021 | 7 p.m. PT | SN

Rate this topic

-SN-

Just now, Duodenum said:

After 7 years of Benning, the Canucks are here in 2021 fighting for last place in the NHL lol.

Embarassing display of ineptitude shown by our GM and the owners. 

Given that his first attempted move this past offseason is trying to bring OELs anchor of a contract into the mix he needs to be banned from ever being a GM in the NHL ever again permanently. He will destroy the Canucks cap structure again once his first round of terrible contracts expire.

Zero foresight at all. 

Are you saying Benning is Epimetheus?  I wonder if Prometheus is available as GM?

That's all I remember from my Classic Greek Studies class.:P

• RoughGame 3

1 minute ago, Duodenum said:

After 7 years of Benning, the Canucks are here in 2021 fighting for last place in the NHL lol.

Embarassing display of ineptitude shown by our GM and the owners. 

Given that his first attempted move this past offseason is trying to bring OELs anchor of a contract into the mix he needs to be banned from ever being a GM in the NHL ever again permanently. He will destroy the Canucks cap structure again once his first round of terrible contracts expire.

Zero foresight at all. 

I thought you were Benning 

• Haha 1
  • RoughGame 3

Very simple game summary this evening:

Oilers pp - 2/5

Canucks pp - 0/4

Explanation:  Oilers don't spend the first 65 seconds of pp time trying to figure out how to access the attacking zone;  they just cross over the blue line and set up.  Combined talent level on the respective #1 pp units is fairly equal.

Sad, sad, sad.  Newell Brown - we're looking at you !

• Thanks 1
  • RoughGame 4

1 hour ago, Devron44 said:

Just give Julien an intern gig till the end of the year and see how it goes.

It’d be like when the Canucks hired Mike Keenan. That dude also won a cup in a league-enabled O-6 environment & city....with zero success in VAN.  It’s a vastly different implementation of league rules here in VanCity, where the league frequently short-changes the franchise & offers little credit. 

1. League completely mismanages the Moore/Naslund/Burtuzzi crisis/incident

2. Stats show Rome over-suspended in 2011 SC-Final

3. Burrows was clearly-blackballed by old-school officials after the Auget incident & controversy. Team goes from being least-penalized NHL team one season to the most-penalized team in the next, with virtually the same players.  

4. Duncan Keith permitted to threaten/head-hunt a Sedin & remained in that game to insense his opponents. League then gives the villain a brief & welcome rest ‘before’ the play-offs while our guy nearly misses the 1st round. (Lost to LA - 2012-SC Champions) 
5. Team one of only a few punished with unfair cap-recapture penalty (Luongo’s contract), instead of grandfathering-in the ‘new’ CBA rule.

Canucks’ fans have long memories. So, no thanks to Julien, he’s not all that. 

There’s only a few reasons why a winning team would fire a head coach. I saw enough of Julien’s coaching-style, character & drama-queen antics in the 2011 SCFinal, to believe anything, in this regard. 

Don’t want or need to see any more Keenan/Tortorella/Julien-like stuff, here. 

Edited by viking mama
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Cheers 2
  • RoughGame 2

Well I think that's it for the year. 

I wonder how the team will play the remainder of the season knowing that they're not really playing for anything at this point... 

Time for green to experiment and do what he wants with the youth. (if he keeps his job) 

Benning at least knows he needs to sell at the deadline... 

Tonight 2 pp goals against and zero goals for.. That's the game

• RoughGame 2

Just now, CanucksJay said:

Well I think that's it for the year. 

I wonder how the team will play the remainder of the season knowing that they're not really playing for anything at this point... 

Time for green to experiment and do what he wants with the youth. (if he keeps his job) 

Benning at least knows he needs to sell at the deadline... 

Tonight 2 pp goals against and zero goals for.. That's the game

So.....playing the same way they have been playing all year? Wouldn't notice a difference. 

• Haha 1
  • RoughGame 2

Grateful to my kids tonight. They kept me busy and I missed most of the game and only really saw part of the 3rd. What I saw was bad enough. Glad I didn’t see any more.

Please tell me our power play didn’t look as bad all game as the one I saw in the 3rd?

Please?

Because that was straight garbage. And if that’s how this team is being coached to play the man advantage, then Newell Brown needs to be relieved of his duties as of tonight. 

And Green should be on thin ice.

I’ve defended the coaches all season, but what I saw on my TV, when I finally tuned in, was a team that’s lost even the basics of how to work a power play in the NHL.

And that has to be on the coaches. 

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 2
  • RoughGame 7

Just now, cuporbust said:

So.....playing the same way they have been playing all year? Wouldn't notice a difference. 

They have carried the play the past 10 games for the most part. 

I think they battled thinking things will turn around. 

Now comes a point where the hole has become too deep

• RoughGame 2

1 minute ago, viking mama said:

It’s be like when the Canucks hired Mike Keenan. That dude also won a cup in a league-enabled O-6 environment & city. It’s a vastly different interpretation or implementation of league rules here in VanCity...
1. Mismanaged Moore/Naslund/Burtuzzi crisis/incident

2. Rome over-suspension

3. Burrows-blackballed after Auget fiasco

4. Duncan Keith allowed to threaten/then head-hunt Daniel Sedin & remains in the game to insense his ‘mates, league gives villain a very brief & welcome rest ‘before’ the play-offs begin, while our guy nearly missed the 1st round.   
5. Team one of only a few punished with an unfair cap-recapture penalty (for Luongo’s contract), instead of grandfathering-in this ‘new’ CBA rule.

....and Canucks’ fans have long memories. So, no thanks to Julien! 

There’s only a few reasons why a winning-team would fire a head coach. I saw enough of Julien’s coaching-style, character & drama-queen antics in the 2011 SCFinal, to believe anything in this regard. 

Don’t need or want to see more of that stuff, here. 

Definitely don’t know much about him honestly. I think we need some experience though, not sure we have much as options and don’t know if losing like this is good for our young guys. I know a coach isn’t going to save the season but we need to be at least competitive here on out. Thanks for the insight 

• RoughGame 2