The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Discussion] Realistic Value of Quinn Hughes

51 minutes ago, Teemu Selänne said:

Canucks finally have an elite, #1 d for the first time in franchise history (maybe outside of Paul Reinhart's short stint). I know this avoids the OP question, but it better be a giant giant overpayment if he's moved anytime soon

Dale Tallon could've been that player but they screwed around with his development (playing on a real expansion club didn't help either) by shifting him to center & back again to D (and so on & so on).  For being the consolation prize in that draft (missing legit HHOFer Gilbert Perreault), he had that kind of talent.

Edited by NewbieCanuckFan
  • Cheers 2

16 minutes ago, DontMessMe said:

What im more curious about is JT miller's value.

now watch @WeneedLumme walk to this thread and lecture you folks on the importance of not putting any of your players on the trading block for moral reason..... 

Do you really need to call him out to spark a flame? Just let it rest and don't stir up trouble.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, hammertime said:

BUF Dahlin + Zemgus Girgensons

AVS Byron + Newhook

NYI Barzal + Dobson

At most I could see Quinn going for one of these 1st round pick ELC guys, not them+. 

You'd find fans on either side arguing for either Dahlin or for Hughes' value until the cows come home so I won't bother, but Colorado wouldn't want him over Byram IMO when they already have their steady smaller guys in Makar and Girard and Sakic's been good in finding balance in his pairings (smaller PMD next to defender).  I'd do Hughes for Dobson, or (had we bought low on him) Hughes for Seth Jones (he's still at an ugly -9 but Seth is an all-round #1 that you can really only buy low on, and even then teams just wait for them to rebound but with Quinn you might have a shot at getting them).    

Edited by Phil_314

2 hours ago, Warhippy said:

OK so preface this by saying i would never consider trading him but have now seen numerous posts about trading him

So let's just out it.  What is his value?

For me

Two 1sts, not protected

top tier rookie

quality young player

quality roster player

They are taking back a contract like Eriksson

Your valuation for what he;'d command?

I don't think I'd ever want to attach a player like Hughes to get rid of an LE.......that just brings his value down and you want to get back as much you possibly canif you're moving a QH. 

I'd only entertain moving a QH for a big, fast legit #1 cman who can log big mins and dominate games.  The only other way I'd do is for a 1st, 2nd or 3rd OA in a good draft.

55 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

His value would be similar to Rasmus Dahlin or Cale Makar.  You can't really replace Quinn though.  Not many Dmen in the league like him.  He's the kind of player you build a team around not someone you trade to try and upgrade elsewhere.

I don't think so.  Not many teams win Cups riding on the shoulders of elite offensive dmen.  Pieterangelo, Hedman, Doughty, Pronger.........these are the guys you ride to a Cup......not a Karlsson.

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1

3 hours ago, Nuxfanabroad said:

I've long considered sending him to NJ. I think that's who'd give us the best return.

Imagine if they'd give you Holtz & their 2021 1st? Can't say how much they'd pay? But bet they'd love to market a Hughes combo.

I've never really liked smallish, offensive-oriented D. Also with OJ, JR, JW & (hopefully) NT back there, we'd still have lots to be excited about.

Hughes for Hughes?

• Haha 1

42 minutes ago, Phil_314 said:

At most I could see Quinn going for one of these 1st round pick ELC guys, not them+. 

You'd find fans on either side arguing for either Dahlin or for Hughes' value until the cows come home so I won't bother, but Colorado wouldn't want him over Byram IMO when they already have their steady smaller guys in Makar and Girard and Sakic's been good in finding balance in his pairings (smaller PMD next to defender).  I'd do Hughes for Dobson, or (had we bought low on him) Hughes for Seth Jones (he's still at an ugly -9 but Seth is an all-round #1 that you can really only buy low on, and even then teams just wait for them to rebound but with Quinn you might have a shot at getting them).    

Quit being so "realistic" like its in the title of the thread or something. The point is "realistically" you don't trade Hughes unless the offer is too good to be true. 

1 as you said Dahlin for Hughes is debatable so Buf would have to add. 

2 Byram is an unknown who got injured and stumbled in his D+1 he has 2 pts in 14 games this season theres alot of risk there. They'd have to add Newhook.

3 NYI Barzal has 87 points so far in his last 2 seasons good enough for somewhere around 40th. Hughes 74 thats the 2nd most from any D in that span and he is the highest scoring D in the entire League this year. NYI has to add substantially. Dobson would have to be added at the very least for me to be interested.

• RoughGame 1

8 minutes ago, hammertime said:

Quit being so "realistic" like its in the title of the thread or something. The point is "realistically" you don't trade Hughes unless the offer is too good to be true. 

1 as you said Dahlin for Hughes is debatable so Buf would have to add. 

2 Byram is an unknown who got injured and stumbled in his D+1 he has 2 pts in 14 games this season theres alot of risk there. They'd have to add Newhook.

3 NYI Barzal has 87 points so far in his last 2 seasons good enough for somewhere around 40th. Hughes 74 thats the 2nd most from any D in that span and he is the highest scoring D in the entire League this year. NYI has to add substantially. Dobson would have to be added at the very least for me to be interested.

If Buff has to add they don't do the deal. I don't think they do a 1 for 1 either. In terms of potential Dahlin has the capabilities to be greater(Do it all defenseman). Potential is just that though but still. If you're gonna do Hughes for Dahlin there needs to be more pieces involved for both sides. Needs to be a hockey trade that makes sense.

Avs don't need Hughes.

Neither do NYI for that price. Islanders need Barzal more than they need Hughes.  They don't have many offensive forwards of his caliber or young forwards in general. They also don't score a lot so trading their Top C who drives their offense isn't a smart idea. Their D-corp is a whole lot younger. They don't trade Dobson either, he's shown a lot of promise so far.

• Vintage 1

1 hour ago, BarnBurner said:

He's a game breaker, for sure. I personally wouldn't trade that away despite his defensive lapses at this point. So, IMO, who is the other game changer you're going to get back?

If Byfield is truly available for a top, young damn........

• Haha 1