The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jimmy Vesey | #24 | LW

-Vintage Canuck-

2 minutes ago, kloubek said:

I bet Buffalo and Toronto also thought they were getting a motivated guy.

he was traded to Buffalo, I can't blame him for leaving that dumpster fire. He actually did pretty well there given how bad they were, +12 on that $&!# team is an accomplishment. 

Dunno about TO I really didn't follow his story at all this year. 

• Vintage 1

Jb wants to trade  Jake V so he claims a older whinnier crappier version.  lol. 
rather see macewan baily( when Heathy) michialis or hawryluk getting the ice time..

so much for worrying about players “attitudes” 

mccann summed up the JB era perfectly when he was drafted.

” It is what it is” 

and it isn’t good. 

• Sad 1
  • RoughGame 2

1 minute ago, Maniwaki Canuck said:

We picked up Martin Gelinas on waivers back in the day.  He scored 30 for us.  Not saying that Vesey will, but it does happen.  There's no down side to this move, so any negativity is in the eye of the beholder.

If Pearson is out for a while and Vesey is a fit with Miller, e.g. then it will look great. 

But it could also crash and burn hard. Really no way to know until he suits up. 

1 minute ago, Jimmy McGill said:

If Pearson is out for a while and Vesey is a fit with Miller, e.g. then it will look great. 

For sure, but if he's worse than Michaelis or Eriksson, we can just waive him so there won't be any real consequences.  For now, we need some competent NHL forwards to fill in for all our injuries.  He's at least that.  Personally, I thought he looked pretty good when the Leafs were handing us our lunch, but I gather his play fell off a bit after that.   Bottom line:  he's replacement level + at a replacement level salary. 

• Vintage 1

3 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

Vesey and Miller played together on the Rangers. So there's familiarity there. I don't know how good there chemistry was while they were playing together on the Rangers but I'm excited to see what they could do. Should make the transition for Vesey a little easier if he is thrust into a Top 6 role with Pearson out for any kind of extended period.

• Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, khay said:

Motte is young enough to be around long term, like 3 more years.

Pearson and Sutter? Sure. If we lose the next 2 games against the Habs, that's when we start looking around to see what sort of deal is available for those two.

But are those move enough? The moves you proposed are peripheral/support players. If the state of the franchise is truly ugly as you say, then those two moves shouldn't all of a sudden make it pretty because if it does... well, then the state of the franchise isn't all that ugly.

I can't be bothered to sit here and think of ways to dump Beagle/Roussel/Ferland/Eriksson/Baertschi/rest of the money suckers.

At the same time, I didn't imply that the state would suddenly be pretty.  The situation here isn't very binary/one or the other.

• RoughGame 1

23 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

Vesey-Miller-Boeser? All American line. When was the last time we’ve seen that?

Amurica!!! Brock yeah!!!

• Haha 2

15 minutes ago, Quantum said:

Vesey and Miller played together on the Rangers. So there's familiarity there. I don't know how good there chemistry was while they were playing together on the Rangers but I'm excited to see what they could do. Should make the transition for Vesey a little easier if he is thrust into a Top 6 role with Pearson out for any kind of extended period.

This could be great news, possible chemistry with Miller and Vesey, or at least a familiarity after they played 2 seasons together. Vesey seemed excited to be joining the Canucks. Hope he makes the most of this opportunity.  

1 hour ago, khay said:

I'm curious. What moves would you make to improve the team?

Fire JB, Green, and his assistants? Then, hire who? 

And then what roster moves?

You've got this wrong. All he wants to do is fire JB. That poster is a great supporter of Green, and he blames EVERYTHING on Benning. Also, he gives zero credit to Benning because, well, everyone else did a good job except him.

• Cheers 2

34 minutes ago, Alain Vigneault said:

I can't be bothered to sit here and think of ways to dump Beagle/Roussel/Ferland/Eriksson/Baertschi/rest of the money suckers.

At the same time, I didn't imply that the state would suddenly be pretty.  The situation here isn't very binary/one or the other.

Sure, it's not binary so where are we now? Close to 0? 0.5? 0.9?

Based on what you suggest, we need to get values for Sutter and Pearson. Then, dump Beagle/Roussel/Ferland/Eriksson/Baertschi and rest of the money suckers (who exactly?)

Recall that those players are all coming off the books in one or two years. So by doing nothing, we get closer to being pretty (value of one) then, isn't the state of the franchise in a decent shape? Sure, it's not pretty now because of those contracts but generally speaking, it's in a decent shape moving forward?

I don't mean to shield JB -- honestly, I'm 50-50 when it comes to keeping/firing JB. I think he did well to draft some good young players and would like to keep him so that he can continue to find good players to inject to the lineup and see this rebuild to the end. On the other hand, he has his share of faults and if possible, a shrewd GM could come in to make smart trades to complete the team might be better as long as that GM doesn't pull Mike Gillis on us (drafting one current/regular NHL player (Horvat) from the years that he spent as the GM). 

I'm just curious why some people are so negative about the team. When you say the state of the franchise is ugly (or maybe you said that it's not pretty), it sounds like we are close to 0 but based on what you say, it sounds more like we are above 0.5, maybe 0.7 on scale of 0 to 1. Make some peripheral moves, wait one year to dump some salary. Done.

Am I wrong in interpreting your responses or do you have further to elaborate?

• Cheers 1

50 minutes ago, khay said:

Sure, it's not binary so where are we now? Close to 0? 0.5? 0.9?

Based on what you suggest, we need to get values for Sutter and Pearson. Then, dump Beagle/Roussel/Ferland/Eriksson/Baertschi and rest of the money suckers (who exactly?)

Recall that those players are all coming off the books in one or two years. So by doing nothing, we get closer to being pretty (value of one) then, isn't the state of the franchise in a decent shape? Sure, it's not pretty now because of those contracts but generally speaking, it's in a decent shape moving forward?

I don't mean to shield JB -- honestly, I'm 50-50 when it comes to keeping/firing JB. I think he did well to draft some good young players and would like to keep him so that he can continue to find good players to inject to the lineup and see this rebuild to the end. On the other hand, he has his share of faults and if possible, a shrewd GM could come in to make smart trades to complete the team might be better as long as that GM doesn't pull Mike Gillis on us (drafting one current/regular NHL player (Horvat) from the years that he spent as the GM). 

I'm just curious why some people are so negative about the team. When you say the state of the franchise is ugly (or maybe you said that it's not pretty), it sounds like we are close to 0 but based on what you say, it sounds more like we are above 0.5, maybe 0.7 on scale of 0 to 1. Make some peripheral moves, wait one year to dump some salary. Done.

Am I wrong in interpreting your responses or do you have further to elaborate?

We still have important contract extensions for Hughes, Demko, and Petterson coming up.  It's not necessarily just a matter of waiting for things to open themselves up for us with contracts.  As well, we can't assume that all players will stay status quo.  Recall Horvat saying that he was done with rebuilding, doesn't want to go through that experience again.  Miller is another flight risk as well.  Are these guys prepared to stay below average for another 2 years?

So, yes, we are not at 0.1 or whatever you want to call it, but we aren't exactly close to 1 either.  Last season, we were may have been there (or close) but the steps back we took have reset us to where we were 2-3 seasons ago.

Edited by Alain Vigneault
  • Cheers 1

16 minutes ago, Alain Vigneault said:

We still have important contract extensions for Hughes, Demko, and Petterson coming up.  It's not necessarily just a matter of waiting for things to open themselves up for us with contracts.  As well, we can't assume that all players will stay status quo.  Recall Horvat saying that he was done with rebuilding, doesn't want to go through that experience again.  Miller is another flight risk as well.  Are these guys prepared to stay below average for another 2 years?

So, yes, we are not at 0.1 or whatever you want to call it, but we aren't exactly close to 1 either.  Last season, we were may have been there (or close) but the steps back we took have reset us to where we were 2-3 seasons ago.

I guess to sum up, the main concerns that you have are looming contractual problems as failing to solve those issues could set us back. And players like Horvat and Miller may want to go somewhere else to win if that happens, which would set us back even further.

I can see your angle of things. There are certainly problems and we do need careful maneuvering to ensure that we solve all those issues. But I'd be more hopeful about the team.

Fortunately, we have leverage on Hughes, Demko, and EP as they are RFAs. The encouraging thing is that we don't have a 10 million dollar player on the roster that these guys can use as leverage. They can cite Matthews and McDavid, but that's easy to shut down. 1. Those teams have different cap structure than us. 2. We can counter back by saying, are you scoring or going to score at 140 point pace like McDavid or 60 goal pace like Matthews? 

And the bad contracts are coming off the books shortly and JB stated that he won't be using UFAs anymore (I hope he meant, not as much as opposed to never going to the UFA market).

We have a top 6 of EP, Horvat, Miller, Boeser, Hoglander.

Middle 6 of Podkolzin, Virtanen, Gaudette, and Motte. Maybe Lind and Gadjovich are close.

Our defence has Hughes, Schmidt, Edler (re-signed), Myers, Juolevi, and Rathbone. And maybe we will re-sign Hamonic and finally bring Tryamkin over.

And Demko as the #1 goalie.

The thing is that the key positions like #1PMD, #1C, and #1G are filled and most of the important positions like #1RW/#1LW, #2D are filled with quality players.

Tinkering around what we have is not going to be easy, but far easier than trying to fill #1PMD, #1C, #1G.

34 minutes ago, WHL rocks said:

I think its going to end up like Tallon in Chicago.. 

Tallon drafted well stocked up the team then the Bowmans father and son team came in to take it to next level and finish the job..

If we can get (father) Bowman level hockey mind to take over, I'd be all for canning JB even if father asks to parachute his son onto the GM position.

But I don't know... there aren't many Bowmans around. We might do worse by letting JB go if the new guy doesn't properly assess the current roster/talent.