The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jimmy Vesey | #24 | LW

-Vintage Canuck-

On 3/20/2021 at 2:34 PM, Ghostsof1915 said:

Was it dumb? Yes.

But he was also punched first. 

Wasn't everyone complaining that the team has no heart or pushback? 

I think of the old New West Bruins and the fact that they made a name for themselves by punching people.  Yes the old days are over but look, it was Toffoli who embarassed us for a number of games and I personally loved that it was Virtanen who punched him in the head.

• Cheers 2

18 hours ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Leivo is more physical but Vesey is much better offensively. Vesey put up 16,17,17 goals in his first 3 years in the league. Leivo never even hit 10 until he got traded to Vancouver. 

Vesey had the skill set to put up 15-20 goals in the NHL which is exactly what we need on our 3rd line. If cap space permits next year a 3rd line of Vesey  Lind  Virtanen would work quite well. 

If Virtanen is on a third line next season, he's overpaid. The other two on the line will be on league minimum

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Vesey 27 - played 4 game for Canuck avg TOI  18:20 with no points.. I hope he connect with Boyd on 3rd line?

He would be a cheap signing one way deal ? 1yr X 850,000  - show me more..

Gaudette  24 -- 1 yr how me more 950,000..

Podkolzin  19 -- Entry level deal -- 950,000 X 3 yrs..

Juolevi -- 22--  2 X 900,000

Rathbone -- #5 D man next season-- under contract.

• 3 weeks later...

i'm disapointed big time with Vesey.
i wanted him in our 4th line next year, i still kinda like his PK, but now i hope we'll promote Lockwood instead... 

i saw lot of replays of Vesey in junior, how could he have lost all his hockey abilities (puck handling, scoring touch, passing...) since ? 

Edited by deus.ex.makina
  • Like 1

25 minutes ago, gurn said:

Did he lose those abilities, or are they just not NHL level abilities?

Actually he's done fairly well for a 3rd round pick in his draft year.  As long as he can hold the line defensively, he is a good filler who isn't on the Covid list.  Nucks need the extra bodies.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, deus.ex.makina said:

i wanted him in our 4th line next year, i still kinda like his PK, but now i hope we'll promote Lockwood instead... 

i saw lot of replays of Vesey in junior, how could he have lost all his hockey abilities (puck handling, scoring touch, passing...) since ? 

Agree, I don't see much to get excited about with him. 

Nice warm body for this strange season, though.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

8 hours ago, deus.ex.makina said:

i saw lot of replays of Vesey in junior, how could he have lost all his hockey abilities (puck handling, scoring touch, passing...) since 

IMHO, i don't see him as a 4th line type of player at all.

I've not seen much to warrant a spot on the team next year, but he will get a few more games thisseason to show what he brings 

• Cheers 1

9 hours ago, deus.ex.makina said:

Transition from junior to the pros is extremely difficult.  

Some players are men upon boys, with that extra split second can make a difference between making a good pass or a huge turnover.  That little difference in an inch or two here and there may make one an elite player or one unable to keep up with the play.  

Plus sometimes it's all psychological.  Players are too afraid to make mistakes as a bad play may mean being benched and maybe sent back down to the AHL.  Potentially hundreds of thousands or even millions of dollars at stake.  

• Upvote 2

Vesey is a perfect example of a player who should be playing in the A, but manages to hold onto a NHL spot on a very bad team. Trust me though if he doesn't take advantage of his opportunity here, he'll find a nice bottom 6 spot in the A. Highmore on the other hand looks to be a good candidate to carve out a spot in the bottom six with the Canucks.

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, The King said:

Vesey is a perfect example of a player who should be playing in the A, but manages to hold onto a NHL spot on a very bad team. Trust me though if he doesn't take advantage of his opportunity here, he'll find a nice bottom 6 spot in the A. Highmore on the other hand looks to be a good candidate to carve out a spot in the bottom six with the Canucks.

I would bet that Vesey is the kind of guy who could dominate the AHL as one of it's top scoring forwards.

• Cheers 2

I remember the day that he was picked up off of waivers, a Toronto Beat writer basically said Vesey was a vanilla player. Can hold a spot temporarily but doesn't do anything very interesting to make you want to keep him in.

Hasn't been bad, but hasn't really shown either why he should remain in the lineup. It was a nice experiment for the time being and to have extra bodies, but he doesn't have a bottom line to his game, and players like that get filtered out pretty quickly as we are starting to see here. 

2 hours ago, CRAZY_4_NAZZY said:

I remember the day that he was picked up off of waivers, a Toronto Beat writer basically said Vesey was a vanilla player. Can hold a spot temporarily but doesn't do anything very interesting to make you want to keep him in.

Hasn't been bad, but hasn't really shown either why he should remain in the lineup. It was a nice experiment for the time being and to have extra bodies, but he doesn't have a bottom line to his game, and players like that get filtered out pretty quickly as we are starting to see here. 

I thought he was playing better when he first got picked up. Getting scoring chances at that time. 

Sadly the players that most would like to see be let go this summer are players that have a further year on their contracts. Vesey is better is better than Beagle, Ferland, Rousell, Luongo. I suspect you can get bottom three players such as Vesey, Highmore, Hawreyluk, Boyd and maybe Michalis ( and I'm sure there are others out there.)  for a much lower cap hit without losing comparible skill. There's ( sadly ) hope some might go full LTIR or retire. Truth is the vets we signed for too much are still going to be on our Cap come next September

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/24/2021 at 12:35 AM, The King said:

Thinking about this I think Vesey is better off playing in Europe. Either in the Swiss League or the DEL. 

I would actually find the Swiss League enticing for players who struggle in the NHL but can play in the minor leagues. 

• 2 months later...
28 minutes ago, johngould21 said:

I was racking my brain this morning. Is there a spot for this guy on the roster? I had almost forgot about him. He's soft as butter in the bottom six, and didn't show much with the top six.

I'm guessing that's the way most see it incl. management, so the answer is no.

Does have some talent so not a bad decision to take a flyer on him when we needed warm bodies during previous season, but not surprised it didn't work out. Boyd showed a bit more but still not enough to be kept IMO.

17 minutes ago, J-P said:

I'm guessing that's the way most see it incl. management, so the answer is no.

Does have some talent so not a bad decision to take a flyer on him when we needed warm bodies during previous season, but not surprised it didn't work out. Boyd showed a bit more but still not enough to be kept IMO.

Some have Michaelis on their roster projections, I think Boyd is a better fit for a 3rd or 4th line guy.