The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

The Fire Benning protest outside Rogers Arena - A very poor turnout. LOL. Embarrassing.

Rate this topic

Dazzle

4 minutes ago, Dirtman said:

Okay but you remember the contracts he gave out 4 years ago right? What other discourse do we have other than ignoring everything else, and harping on that?! 

The way I see it is if we don’t make the playoff next year these people probably get their wish. Make the playoffs and continue to improve each year. I think they are in for a bumpy ride and long Jim Benning tenure (in their eyes). Be very interesting to see what happens here.

I wanted one more year of not getting aggressive personally but hey the core is here why not. I have a hard time believing we won’t be in the playoffs next year. The pacific division doesn’t look that great actually. I think we will be in. 

Another thing. Going to a live hockey game is a bleeping privilege. Unbelievable what people take for granted 

• Cheers 2

1 minute ago, appleboy said:

If I owned this team I would be little concerned that there was only twenty people who had enough drive to show up at protest that was about the future of the organization.

Have the rest of the fans just tuned out.      Did anyone show up to support Jimbo?     Fans are losing interest.

Or maybe they realized you don’t actually have to physically go to the arena to protest...

You can do it online, you can do it by calling 650, or you could just not invest any money into the team.

Going to the arena with a banner is probably the least effective way of protesting. 

• Cheers 4

45 minutes ago, Alflives said:

This thread is pure gold!  I have to thank the handful of fans that did make that incredible banner and chanted their silly chants. Too funny!  Seriously, how many hours and how many sharpies did it take to make that banner?  God, I’m still laughing!  

image.jpeg.680a7d1a7966858c3b9948dc1bf48b2d.jpeg

Hey, there aren't even any spelling mistakes :lol:

• Haha 4

8 minutes ago, appleboy said:

If I owned this team I would be little concerned that there was only twenty people who had enough drive to show up at protest that was about the future of the organization.

Have the rest of the fans just tuned out.      Did anyone show up to support Jimbo?     Fans are losing interest.

Or most people aren't immature dumb dumbs!  

• Cheers 1
  • Haha 2

Props for them getting off their butts to do it, but something tells me they could've just spent that time doing more productive things for themselves. 

This season was already a write-off. The Aquilinis already said something like it mid-season and I think we need a full-normal (non-covid) season to judge the management and coaching of the team.

It wasn't too long ago when the Canucks made it all the way to the Western semi finals in the playoffs. I would be more skeptical if they didn't at least show that and I think its honestly been the saving grace for JB and TG.

1 hour ago, Alain Vigneault said:

The real protests will begin inside at Rogers Arena when fans are permitted to safely attend games.

Mike Gillis' protests had about 3 people (if we're to believe photo evidence), yet the voices of nearly 17K people inside were loud enough to demonstrate otherwise. 

Don't be fooled - history WILL repeat itself.  Don't get caught on the wrong side.

Hope this helps.

Just stay in Philly...

• Cheers 1
  • Haha 1
  • Vintage 1

I am a Canucks fan but my life doesn't revolve around this team. I get pissed when we don't make the playoffs, when we sign useless players like Erikkson and when we decide to keep incompetent GMs like Benning.

But would I spend my weekends on a protest for the Canucks? Hell no. I have a life. In the end, its just a game.

Get a life people.....

• Cheers 1

31 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

He has stopped.  Marky 6x6 is now playing in Calgary.  Demko 5x5 is playing in Vancouver.  Injury prone Tanev is also in Calgary and Hamonic is a UFA so we have an option to upgrade on that position.  Virtanen and Holtby will be bought out, Beagle will end up on LTIR along with Ferland, and Eriksson I believe has a handshake agreement to retire.  Roussel can be the 13th forward for a year.  That pretty much takes care of all the bad contracts.  Moving forward I think Benning will try and trade for players in the 24-26 age range.

Yep, Chris Gear does the contracts now. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, VegasCanuck said:

He has 2 more years on his contract. He will be here at least to the end of it, and quite possibly through an extension.

NOOOOOO!:shock:  Okay,  so Aquillini is giving him one more year before firing him and hiring someone new, so that he at least only has to eat one year of Benning's salary.

9 minutes ago, Captain Canuck #12 said:

NOOOOOO!:shock:  Okay,  so Aquillini is giving him one more year before firing him and hiring someone new, so that he at least only has to eat one year of Benning's salary.

He'll be here, past the end of next season.

2 hours ago, DeNiro said:

If you show up to games to chant fire Benning you’re a loser.

How about we go to you know cheer the team on?

Thats what I can’t stand about a large portion of this fan base. Seems like they’d rather see the team fail to prove that they were right about the GM than to actually support the team.

Be a better fan. If Benning is as bad as you think he won’t have the job much longer regardless. Can you not just cheer for the team in the meantime?

say it louder for the people in the back

you just KNOW the media absolutely wants people to chant "fire benning" at the arena and they will do everything in their power to make it so

• Cheers 3
  • Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Twilight Sparkle said:

say it louder for the people in the back

you just KNOW the media absolutely wants people to chant "fire benning" at the arena and they will do everything in their power to make it so

#FireDrance

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, appleboy said:

This "protest" had nothing to do with the future of the team.  It was a "protest" where 17 angry Twitter guys showed up and realized that they were stuck in an echo chamber for the last two years.