The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

So - Who Should The Canucks Take At The Number 9 Spot?

Rate this topic

Patel Bure

12 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

IMO, the best 9 for the Canucks (in order) 

1. Power

2. Edvinsson

3. Hughes

4. Clarke

5. Eklund

6. Beniers

7. McTavish

8. Lucius

9. Lambos

I just can’t see us passing on Johnson if he’s on the board in that scenario.

His numbers along with his skill set can’t be ignored.

• Like 3
  • Cheers 1

17 hours ago, XxNaslundxX said:

I'd try to trade Detroit at 6 to move up and take whoever is left of Power, Benniers Eklund, edvinsson, Hughes, Clarke. 

If it's between Guenther, McTavish and Johnson, Its hard to chose. I'd probably go McTavish but I wouldn't be disappointed drafting any of them at 9. 

Also would be okay drafting Lambos at 9

Dipietro + 1st for their 6th? If Detroit is looking at goaltending then it’s worth considering. 

Starting to think Lambos could be a darkhorse in this Draft. He's already got size/mature physically, great skater, great shot, plays a heavy defensive game, but also adds offence and likes to jump in the play. Mark my words, he'll be a star. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

Starting to think Lambos could be a darkhorse in this Draft. He's already got size/mature physically, great skater, great shot, plays a heavy defensive game, but also adds offence and likes to jump in the play. Mark my words, he'll be a star. 

I’m good with that pick as long as they believe he can be a top pairing guy.

Everyone thought Seider for Detroit was a stretch but I don’t think they’re saying that now. I have no problem taking him higher than his projection if they think he can be the defenseman we need.

Edited by DeNiro
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Kubrick said:

Dipietro + 1st for their 6th? If Detroit is looking at goaltending then it’s worth considering. 

Why are we giving up Dipietro?  As soon as Demko starts asking for too much in salary, Dipietro will be more than ready to step in. 

• Thanks 1

15 hours ago, RU SERIOUS said:

My worry is that JB trades away our 9th pick for a "NOW player" - to try and save his job (as he's already in the doghouse and walking on thin ice) rather than keep the pick and select a player for the future (when he is likely not here).    Hope its the later.

Benning traded 20th first round pick for JT Miller.

I don’t think he will trade a top 9 pick. That’s dumb. Major mistake!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, DeNiro said:

I just can’t see us passing on Johnson if he’s on the board in that scenario.

His numbers along with his skill set can’t be ignored.

he does some incredibly dumb things with the puck, I'd pass if it were me

• Like 2
  • Cheers 1

2 hours ago, Kubrick said:

Stevie Y is too smart. There is no way he puts any stock in Dipietro who is so unproven and still a longer shot to make it. He'll just draft someone good. Doing anything but making good draft picks and support signings are counter-intuitive to success for them at this point.

I would do it in a heart beat though, no way it happens.

Edited by Gawdzukes
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, stawns said:

he does some incredibly dumb things with the puck, I'd pass if it were me

Yup, I have a hard time seeing this guy pan out. Great points in a weak league then point per game on a studded line-up against depleted comp. This might be the year US programs are overrated, . All I see is a couple weak plays by horrible defending where NHL players would eat him for lunch. I see a Bonino, Wellwood, Samuelsson cross. I would rather go for a guy that can make it. Who knows though.

He seems more interested in being fancy then doing the legwork even though he has the talent. Quite shocking for some when moving to the NHL level as to how the bs they're used to doesn't work anymore and just accepting when it does it's good for a couple mil a year I guess.

I mean if I was pressed and I didn't want to the islands this year.

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

17 minutes ago, Gawdzukes said:

Yup, I have a hard time seeing this guy pan out. Great points in a weak league then point per game on a studded line-up against depleted comp. This might be the year US programs are overrated, . All I see is a couple weak plays by horrible defending where NHL players would eat him for lunch. I see a Bonino, Wellwood, Samuelsson cross. I would rather go for a guy that can make it. Who knows though.

He seems more interested in being fancy then doing the legwork even though he has the talent. Quite shocking for some when moving to the NHL level as to how the bs they're used to doesn't work anymore and just accepting when it does it's good for a couple mil a year I guess.

I mean if I was pressed and I didn't want to the islands this year.

The scouching report skewered him and he was right........he did some mystifyingly dumb things with the puck.  To me, him and Hughes have the biggest bust potential

Edited by stawns
  • Like 1
  • Cheers 1

On 6/3/2021 at 2:20 PM, deepbluefunk said:

Kent Johnson

6'1 | 167 lbs

unbelievable hands, vision, creativity

slight frame

Craig Button even calls his NHL comparable is Pettersson take that for whatever you want). Picking him would be doubling do on the intense skill level side of the team (Petey, Hughes, Hogs) as opposed to a McTavish pick which would be more in the Horvat or Podkolzin mode.

I’m all in on Johnson ; I like his play style he’s very deceptive. 

What a pick this would be. 

• Like 2

57 minutes ago, Setyoureyesontheprize said:

I’m all in on Johnson ; I like his play style he’s very deceptive. 

What a pick this would be. 

Yup, you just can't pass on that skill set.

If he is still there at 9 then he is the BPA.

• Vintage 1

6 hours ago, wildwood12 said:

Benning traded 20th first round pick for JT Miller.

I don’t think he will trade a top 9 pick. That’s dumb. Major mistake!

I sure hope not, but he may desperate enough to try and get a "NOW" player in exchange for our 9th pick so he can produce some type of result next season to avoid an eighth disastrous season under his reign and try to hang on to his job because I suspect he really only has one more year in Aqua-lini's mind (despite his remaining 2 year contract) to bring some type of success to this franchise.  Fingers crossed!

• RoughGame 2

There should be no reason for Jim to trade our picks . Why not make a hockey trade without giving up picks.

Schmidt and Meyers are solid players.

Jones has lots of issues. Is he any better? 

1 hour ago, appleboy said:

There should be no reason for Jim to trade our picks . Why not make a hockey trade without giving up picks.

Schmidt and Meyers are solid players.

Jones has lots of issues. Is he any better? 

Yes, exponentially better than Myers and significantly better than Schmidt. 
Jones is a legit all star top line D. 
Myers is a 5/6 that moves up poorly and Schmidt is really a solid second pairing guy. 
CBJ is in a forced rebuild they don’t want overpaid bottom line D like Myers for a legit all star.  They may take someone like him for cap purposes on the right deal but that likely starts with 9 and top prospect.

• RoughGame 1

14 hours ago, stawns said:

The scouching report skewered him and he was right........he did some mystifyingly dumb things with the puck.  To me, him and Hughes have the biggest bust potential

I agree whole heartedly. He's flippant. :frantic: Does it translate ... probably, maybe ... maybe Mccaann't?

3 hours ago, DrJockitch said:

Yes, exponentially better than Myers and significantly better than Schmidt. 
Jones is a legit all star top line D. 
Myers is a 5/6 that moves up poorly and Schmidt is really a solid second pairing guy. 
CBJ is in a forced rebuild they don’t want overpaid bottom line D like Myers for a legit all star.  They may take someone like him for cap purposes on the right deal but that likely starts with 9 and top prospect.

A lot of Jones analytics do not look good. 

Schmidt and Meyers are both 3, 4 in my books. Schmidt played on Vegas's top pair. Didn't he? You have both under contract for 4 years. Jones is signed for one more then who knows. Will stay and what will it cost to keep him.

I think that most players are only as good as the team around them.  Outside of the star players.  Schmidt and Meyers may be just fine with the right partners and improving the bottom six so that they back check and accurately support their defense. 

Defense is a team issue .

16 minutes ago, appleboy said:

A lot of Jones analytics do not look good. 

Schmidt and Meyers are both 3, 4 in my books. Schmidt played on Vegas's top pair. Didn't he? You have both under contract for 4 years. Jones is signed for one more then who knows. Will stay and what will it cost to keep him.

I think that most players are only as good as the team around them.  Outside of the star players.  Schmidt and Meyers may be just fine with the right partners and improving the bottom six so that they back check and accurately support their defense. 

Defense is a team issue .

I think they need to continue to draft tenacious 200ft players who are hard to play against.  That is definitely not KJ.  I hope JB steers clear of him, Lysell and Hughes.  I wonder about McT's foitspped as well.

• Cheers 1

This draft could go any which way with the limited data to go on. It's going to be fun to watch.

My Canuck pick list in order:
1 Beniers
2 Eklund
3 Clarke
4 Guenther
5 Hughes
6 Power

7 Edvinsson
8 McTavish
9 Lysell

How I see the draft actually unfolding:
1 Power