The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Which forward(s) should we target as UFA?

Rate this topic

Gawdzukes

I wonder if buying out eriksson is worth it, i mean it would give us 2 mill cap this year add in virtanens thats 4.5 mill to try n get larsson. Next year its only 1 mill cap hit for loui but instead of clearing 6 mill it clears 5 mill. We could easily handle loui erikkson mill cap hit for one year. Lamorello and guerin are doing these kinds of things. Instead of giving up assets it might be worth it. 

• Cheers 1

4 hours ago, Bertuzzipunch said:

I wonder if buying out eriksson is worth it, i mean it would give us 2 mill cap this year add in virtanens thats 4.5 mill to try n get larsson. Next year its only 1 mill cap hit for loui but instead of clearing 6 mill it clears 5 mill. We could easily handle loui erikkson mill cap hit for one year. Lamorello and guerin are doing these kinds of things. Instead of giving up assets it might be worth it. 

Rumour is Edmonton and Larson were close to an extension prior to the roster freeze 

• Vintage 1

6 hours ago, Bertuzzipunch said:

Do not buy out anyone. Run their contracts through and clean the books of such waste in Cap money.

Edited by Me_

I'd stay well away from any forward UFAs, we've got our 3C man in Dickinson now so let's see how he performs. We do need another center so obviously would be nice to get one back, but could just re-sign Sutter cheaply.

More importantly, JB has some work to do on defence. It was once again our weak spot and at the moment we've got holes with Edler leaving and Hamonic unsigned. Obviously Hughes will get done but still hasn't been sorted so JB has a lot of work to do.

As many have said, I'd try and hunt down Larsson. Looks like Edmonton want to go the Barrie-Keith route (good for them...) which leaves a 28 year old Larsson in his prime as a UFA. I'd go all in for him, big strong right shutdown defenceman, basically a mix of Edler and Tanev which is what this team is missing. He could play with Hughes for the next 5 years. Give him a 5 year, 5M contract and we make him fit.

Ideally we'd resign Hamonic too but he might want a pay rise after playing so well with Hughes. If he'll take 2.5M, great, otherwise he might be too rich for us to squeeze everyone in. 

If Holtby gets selected by Seattle, we could sign a cheap backup goalie (Brossoit?) to a 1-2M deal and open up some more cap space for Hamonic. If he doesn't, we ideally trade him for someone like Zadorov.

Regardless, I'd like to see this next season:

Hughes - Larsson

Zadorov/Hamonic - Schmidt

Rathbone - Myers

Juolevi 

That's a much tougher defence than last season, more physicality with some offence sprinkled in here and there.

Most importantly is depth. We're about to play a hard 82 games where injuries will surely arise and that's when Juolevi will get his big chance (and probably not let go of a spot). We've seen how much of a mess Chatfield was in our top-4 so really need 2 D-men coming back.

Forget about Hyman, go all-in for Larsson, he could be our guy for the present and future.

• Like 2
  • Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

Definitely need to target RD with whatever cap space JB can make available.

Dickinson is good for 3C, and i'd like to re-sign Graovac for 4C.  Big body with speed.... seems like a late bloomer... looked good with what little ice time he got.

On 7/18/2021 at 2:34 AM, DownUndaCanuck said:

Sadly looks like Driedger is going to Seattle so if we lose Holtby one way or another, Halak might be an interesting option out there...

If Seattle don't take Holtby but take Lind, we could flip Holtby straight up for Zadorov in which case we sort of answer a lot of questions quite quickly. Zadorov brings size and could chip in 20 minutes easily, plus is safer to play with a nervy Schmidt than one of our rookies at the moment. Hopefully over the course of the season Juolevi gets to take over some minutes.

Hughes - Hamonic

Zadorov - Schmidt

Rathbone - Myers

Juolevi

Demko

Halak

Very different from last season.

Elliotte Friedman is reporting that this is a done deal and will count as Seattle's pick from Florida. Apparently, The Kraken are exempt from the transaction freeze and can make deals with UFAs ahead of the Expansion Draft.

Looks like a 3 year deal at 3.5 million per, so obviously, Seattle believes that last year's numbers for Driedger were not an aberration.

I don't think I would have wanted Driedger at that number, but the disappointing thing is that it makes it less likely that they take Holtby off our hands.

30 minutes ago, RUPERTKBD said:

Elliotte Friedman is reporting that this is a done deal and will count as Seattle's pick from Florida. Apparently, The Kraken are exempt from the transaction freeze and can make deals with UFAs ahead of the Expansion Draft.

Looks like a 3 year deal at 3.5 million per, so obviously, Seattle believes that last year's numbers for Driedger were not an aberration.

I don't think I would have wanted Driedger at that number, but the disappointing thing is that it makes it less likely that they take Holtby off our hands.

There's still a chance they go for a Holtby-Driedger combo for a combined 7ishM and then a really cheap 3rd goalie...but definitely the chance of that goes down.

Sign Landeskog...ride him like an old Harley in training camp til he's injured...put him on LTIR for the season...trade him to TBL for a ransom (3 firsts)...they activate him when the playoffs start and cruise to a 3-peat.

• Haha 3

Simple.  It's JB.  So ALLLL of them.   Am i doing this right?  As in which UFAs we should target?   Ok bad joke. 

On 7/11/2021 at 6:33 PM, DeNiro said:

Friedman is reporting the Canucks want a third line center with size so that rules out the likes of Granlund and Janmark.

I could see us making a Jenner trade or taking a flyer on the likes of Patrick.

Getzlaf would be an interesting cheap veteran option. Can that guy still skate?

Have floated Getzlaf a few times as a target.   Wonder if we get McTavish.   Won't be ready but you never know.   Also Dickinson plays C but doesn't win enough face offs.   Motte also plays C so wonder if he's going to be utilized at all.   And also wonder if Sutter will come back to play Beagles spot which does make some sense.   Really we could use Miller as the 3rd C and focus on adding more wingers which is a lot easier to do as well. 

16 hours ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

There's still a chance they go for a Holtby-Driedger combo for a combined 7ishM and then a really cheap 3rd goalie...but definitely the chance of that goes down.

Not with Bishop exposed.   It was either him or Pavelski.   Makes more sense to take Bishop...Price's cap hit makes him a big risk.  

17 hours ago, ABNuck said:

Sign Landeskog...ride him like an old Harley in training camp til he's injured...put him on LTIR for the season...trade him to TBL for a ransom (3 firsts)...they activate him when the playoffs start and cruise to a 3-peat.

Speaking of which, get Louie on litr already 

37 minutes ago, Wolfgang Durst said:

Jaden Schwartz not becoming a Seattle Kraken.

OK so here's a guy we can look at with the money from a Jake buyout and Seattle hopefully taking Holtby and/or a Holtby trade. 

• Cheers 3

5 hours ago, Patel Bure said:

For me, I kick the tires on Matthew Tkachuk.  There’s something going on there in Calgary and I’d love him to be a part of our team.  He’d be both a short term and long term asset  for us.

Way too pricey. Apparently the price for Tkachuk is astronomical, and his contract would be a huge hit.

• Cheers 1