The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Canucks have made offers to UFAs Alex Edler and Travis Hamonic

1 minute ago, Hairy Kneel said:

Edler better not be expecting anywhere near 6M per. Not even close. 

Have a feeling he will agree to sign, not sign until after the expansion and any trades/buyouts so the dust settles and then sign after with whatever works.

Or I am a wishful idiot.

Think the sedins will sweet talk him.

9 minutes ago, Chris12345 said:

A couple a 6x6s coming.....hahaha jk

Canucks announce:

Zach Parise 6x6

Ryan Suter 6x6

JB:

We feel they just needed a change fo scenay and they are a package duo. The literally come conjoined at the hip and are big Boeser fan boys so it really just made sense.

Parise rounds out the top 6 and Suter we are going to slide him in with Hughes and push Hughes to his offside. Having Suter at the end of his career will be great mentorship for Quinn.

We are very excited t add these core pieces at reasonable prices with a fair term.

Parise-EP40-Boeser

Suter-Hughes

SET FOR LIFE BOYS AND GIRLS AND NON BINARIES WOOO

• Haha 1
  • RoughGame 2

16 minutes ago, babalu said:

Fine with it if they ard both on reasonable 1 year deals.

Exactly this. We need to stop overpaying and history on this  team has shown this. Fair market value and if that cannot be achieved, they walk and we move on to the next available. Don't care about sentiment about this player or that one, just build a winning team, period. Management owes it to the fans and the team.

3 hours ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Edler is a 3rd pairing D on a contender though.  Edler doesn't make the top 4 on Tampa, NY Islanders or Vegas.

Depends what you consider top 4?  Given his ability on the pk and playing hard mins, I'd bet he'd be a top 4 guy in TOI on Tampa.  He might not play top 4 mins 5v5, but at the end of the game I think you'd find Edler with top 4 mins overall.  He's slowed down, but he still plays a solid, rugged defensive game.

As another poster said, the Canucks need more of that, not less

• Cheers 3

Edler knows he's got a job for life here with the Canucks. He knows he's here long term, even after his playing days are over. He has to understand that we need cap help. Would league minimum be too much to ask for?. Toronto has 2 guys taking LM. Others older players as well. If anytime was a good time for a home town discount now is the time. 

• Vintage 1

7 hours ago, PhillipBlunt said:

Schmidt is most likely gone before the season starts. How much of an increase do you think Oleksiak will see as a free agent? He's presently making $2.1M.

For context only? Directed at the discussion as a whole, no one particular or your reply.

This was the 1st year in 10 Hamonic played less than 20 minutes TOI per game.  Just barely less than 20... 

This was the first Oleksiak played 20 minutes TOI per game in his entire 10 year career. 

Jamie has about 80 career points, Travis 280.  Oleksiak half the combined hits & blocked shots.

Oleksiak is just not as good a defenseman!  I understand peoples desire to have a guy who can clear the crease. Play sheriff when the game gets untidy.  A 6'7'' 255lb guy is nice to have in your back pocket. AA bigger Jordie Benn. Oleksiak would be our 5D. Hamonic our 2D or 3D.

Don't expect Oleksiak to be playing with Quinn Hughes.  Or that we will have the better team D we are seeking if the acquisition.

I am all for a better / bigger Jordie Benn 5th on our depth chart. 4th? He would still just a placeholder.

• Cheers 2

55 minutes ago, stawns said:

Depends what you consider top 4?  Given his ability on the pk and playing hard mins, I'd bet he'd be a top 4 guy in TOI on Tampa.  He might not play top 4 mins 5v5, but at the end of the game I think you'd find Edler with top 4 mins overall.  He's slowed down, but he still plays a solid, rugged defensive game.

Hedman, Cernak, Sergachev, McDonagh, Savard.  Umm no Edler is not in the top 4.  He may not even dress on most games.  But this is Tampa and their defence would be considered illegal in 35 states so not really a great comparison to be honest.  If you looks at the Islanders you have Pulock, Mayfield, Pelech and Leddy.  Leddy would be on your #1 PP and Mayfield is your #1 Pk'er.  And Pelech and Pulock is your top pairing, so again Edler is on your 3rd pairing.  Vegas is a toss up, but he's #4 at best.  Even on Colorado he would be on the 3rd pairing.

I do like Edler but let's not kid ourselves to believe he's still a top 4 Dman on a top team in this league.  He got walked on more often than Barry Bonds in his prime last year.  Next year he'll be even older and slower.  Edler will be fine as a rotation guy next year with the young guys on the left side (Juolevi, Rathbone).  If he signs a 2 year deal then he can be your 6th or 7th D the year after.  And then he can retire and we can put his number in the ring of honour.

Like everyone else, I’m hoping Benning and Co., don’t give him more than 2M. I think 2M is a reasonable deal for him. I mean, if he takes less than that, that’s even better. But coming into this upcoming season, I see Edler as a third pairing guy, maybe a depth defenseman from here on out. And he would be one hell of a depth player for this team, would mean we’re deep if he’s our 5th defenseman. 

With that being said, I see him playing on our third pairing. 

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, N4ZZY said:

Like everyone else, I’m hoping Benning and Co., don’t give him more than 2M. I think 2M is a reasonable deal for him. I mean, if he takes less than that, that’s even better. But coming into this upcoming season, I see Edler as a third pairing guy, maybe a depth defenseman from here on out. And he would be one hell of a depth player for this team, would mean we’re deep if he’s our 5th defenseman. 

With that being said, I see him playing on our third pairing. 

If he gets hurt sit him out till the playoffs. 

7 hours ago, stawns said:

I do not.

He isn't bumping Hedman, Serg, Cernak, McDonagh, or Savard is he? 

Rutta for sure.

With the Canucks it's tough. Edler isn't really the problem as you noted it is the entire group - which is why his ice time is high. So how do you change the group if you continue to bring back the pieces?

Yea I get it, trade Schmidt. I don't think that is enough. Who knows? Hoping Jimmy does!

Edited by Chris12345