The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Trade] Canucks Trade for Dickinson from DAL for a 3rd.

9 minutes ago, R3aL said:

Nah Dickinson is younger and more talented. Also he can play wing if we drop miller to C at any point. Schallwr honestly wasn’t bad for us tho.

and u are right it’s not enough it’s just the start and we are one of the only teams that actually added a valuable piece using the crunch of the expansion so we should all be happy 

This 1000%. According to Dallas fans, we just need to keep pucks away from his face and we'll be all set

• Cheers 2

50 minutes ago, Convincing John said:

Finally, someone with accurate expectations. 

I’ll give you this CJ, you’re holding on to your opinion in spite of a whole bunch of armchair GMs pontificating, including myself, and arguing against you. I applaud you for that.

Dick may end up being great for the Nux. He may also not find his rhythm here and flounder. No one knows that yet but expectations are high amongst us all because of the lack of news and recent successes on ice.

Probably a good idea on everyone’s part to temper expectations of him a lil bit.

We’ve seen a lot of guys come and go for the 3/4 line roles. It’s a grand exception when we get a Motte out of all that trial and error. 

Anyway, don’t mean to be a downer at all. I like the deal myself. Even happier to at least be trying new blood that hopefully doesn’t end up disappointing like Boyd or Jimmy Feces did. Yeah, Feces.

• Cheers 2
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, RWJC said:

I’ll give you this CJ, you’re holding on to your opinion in spite of a whole bunch of armchair GMs pontificating, including myself, and arguing against you. I applaud you for that.

Dick may end up being great for the Nux. He may also not find his rhythm here and flounder. No one knows that yet but expectations are high amongst us all because of the lack of news and recent successes on ice.

Probably a good idea on everyone’s part to temper expectations of him a lil bit.

We’ve seen a lot of guys come and go for the 3/4 line roles. It’s a grand exception when we get a Motte out of all that trial and error. 

Anyway, don’t mean to be a downer at all. I like the deal myself. Even happier to at least be trying new blood that hopefully doesn’t end up disappointing like Boyd or Jimmy Feces did. Yeah, Feces.

Yes, I mean, I overshoot my pessimism for my own entertainment but ultimately I’d love to be wrong. Like I was saying before, I saw a lot of this guy on the local TV and have even watched him play live. There isn’t a-lot to talk about here. Is he a warrior? Absolutely, but how useful is a warrior to an army when he doesn’t know how to kill people. 

• Cheers 1
  • RoughGame 3

2 hours ago, eeeeergh said:

Definitely. Coaching from Malhotra got Sutters face off percentage way up. 

I actually love this trade. Even if he can't move any salary out and we have to wait til next year for the big splash, I'm really happy he went with someone young, with lots of upside, and got it done below market value. 

There's some merit to waiting til next year too for the big move - whomever we draft this year might be ready to step in on an ELC next year. Podz and Hogs will be a year older and ready to play bigger roles. Podz could bump Pearson off the 2nd line by then. 

Imagine having all that cap room to put into our Defense. We'd go from one of the worst to the absolute best D corps overnight lol. 

Precisely. This is the season to lay in the weeds, & sharpen them fangs!

• Cheers 4

46 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

He’s a very solid player in return for a third round pick.

Some fairly recent 3rd Round picks by the Canucks:

Jurmo

Madden

DiPietro

Lockwood

Tryamkin

If Dickinson has more upside than these players, then I guess it's worth it. 

9 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

Jurmo

Madden

DiPietro

Lockwood

Tryamkin

It's funny. The last 3rd rd pick to actually make an impact for the Canucks was Edler. Hopefully that changes soon.

• Cheers 2

12 minutes ago, Convincing John said:

Yes, I mean, I overshoot my pessimism for my own entertainment but ultimately I’d love to be wrong. Like I was saying before, I saw a lot of this guy on the local TV and have even watched him play live. There isn’t a-lot to talk about here. Is he a warrior? Absolutely, but how useful is a warrior to an army when he doesn’t know how to kill people. 

As per your analogy, he’s not meant to be or counted to act as the killer. He does a little damage, provides support to the platoon, ammunition resupply and medic. Defensive jack of all trades. You do need guys like that. 

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

Jurmo

Madden

DiPietro

Lockwood

Tryamkin

Well, seeing as he was a 1st round pick, I guess he started off with more upside than those players.  With 221 games in the NHL, he's still ahead.  I guess we'll have to wait and see if those younger players actually make the NHL.

Only 30% of 3rd round picks ever make it to the NHL. 70% never get past the AHL or Euro.

7 minutes ago, Dazzle said:

We know what you are too.

Seriously, this post is straight up trash. He's a proven NHL player that fits a need on the team - all for the price of a 3rd round pick.

What are you talking about with regards to killing people? If you watched him, you'd know exactly what his role is. He kills penalties. Stupid post by you, Convincing John. Bottom of the barrel tier.

I can go way lower bro. Lol

but seriously there is too much optimism over this 1 dimensional Ryan Johnson. He really isn’t that good lol. 

• RoughGame 6

3 minutes ago, Convincing John said:

I can go way lower bro. Lol

but seriously there is too much optimism over this 1 dimensional Ryan Johnson. He really isn’t that good lol. 

You have no clue about this player, period. So much for you 'watching' this player. Laughable. I feel I have a better grasp on the player than you do. :picard:

• Cheers 1
  • Haha 1

17 minutes ago, Dazzle said:

We know what you are too.

Seriously, this post is straight up trash. He's a proven NHL player that fits a need on the team - all for the price of a 3rd round pick.

What are you talking about with regards to killing people? If you watched him, you'd know exactly what his role is. He kills penalties. Stupid post by you, Convincing John. Bottom of the barrel tier.

No seriously, Thanks man.

Thank you. 

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 2

8 minutes ago, Dazzle said:

You have no clue about this player, period. So much for you 'watching' this player. Laughable. I feel I have a better grasp on the player than you do. :picard:

Like I said before, he is ok I guess but definitely nothing to be pumped up about and too little for a 3rd. Jim is good at drafting so that 3rd could end up being useful player when our real window opens and the new GM is making things happen to put us over the top. We spent a 3rd on a very 1 dimensional player under contract for a season. Why are you so excited? 

• Haha 2
  • RoughGame 1

7 hours ago, Jimmy McGill said:

well.... who knows.

I would be OK with a deal for Reinhart and the 9th if it includes them taking Loui, assuming McTavish is gone by 9. 

I'd rather use the 9thOA for a D and if we can dump some salary great

9 minutes ago, Dazzle said:

So, I'm totally shooting in the dark on this one, I guess Dickinson's going to take 18? :ph34r::ph34r:

He shouldn’t. That number wreaks of failed potential.

Canucks who have worn 18:

Steve Kariya

Fedor Fedorov 

Steve Bernier

Cam Barker

Ryan Stanton

Jake Virtanen

Time to throw that number away. Let him wear 17, 20, 21, or 24-29

• Thanks 1