The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Trade] Canucks trade Jay Beagle, Loui Eriksson, Antoine Roussel, 2021 1st-round pick, 2022 2nd-round pick, 2023 7th-round pick to Coyotes for Oliver Ekman-Larsson, Conor Garland

3 minutes ago, khay said:

This is what I don't get. They want Risto but complain that we got OEL even when OEL is better than Risto. OEL is a suspect in his own end? What about Risto? Risto is big that's all that he's got on OEL. And look at what it cost to get him. If OEL didn't have a two team trade list, we don't get OEL at this cost. He's still a good player although no longer at the level he used to be.

Also, OEL at slightly north of 7 mil is not too bad of a cap hit. He is still a smooth skating dman who transitions the puck very well and could suit the style that we play. He will have plenty of forwards that know what to do with the puck, unlike in Arizona.

People complain that we should have just put up with one stinker of a season and let those bad contracts expire. I don't think that would sit well with the players. The players hate losing and to come back with the same team and finish in the bottom 5 would equate to losing morale and players feeling lost. This is not an NHL game where you can sim the whole season. The players digest the 82 game schedule with the goal of making the playoffs, it is extremely demoralizing to lose and feel inferior to other teams/players. The frustration level in the locker room after this season is higher among the players as evident from Horvat's comments. 

Last season saw us go on an upswing, winning two series, only to be let down this season. If no significant moves are made and the same type of season followed in 2021-22 season, the team may never recover and this core may be in jeopardy.

Also, keep in mind the division that we are in. The three Cali teams are rebuilding, Calgary is in a disarray, Seattle doesn't look like they'll be as good as Vegas was, and Arizona is, well, Arizona. That leaves Vegas and Edmonton as the only teams that are likely to make the playoffs, which leaves the door open for Vancouver. We should capitalize on this opportunity.

Lol so true,can’t please everyone 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, khay said:

Also, keep in mind the division that we are in. The three Cali teams are rebuilding, Calgary is in a disarray, Seattle doesn't look like they'll be as good as Vegas was, and Arizona is, well, Arizona. That leaves Vegas and Edmonton as the only teams that are likely to make the playoffs, which leaves the door open for Vancouver. We should capitalize on this opportunity.

I don't see Edmonton making the playoffs in an 82 game season with their AHL defense, goaltending, and bottom 6.  I think we're a shoo-in along with Vegas, and Seattle takes the third spot.  Now that we're doing this, we need to be moving Holtby and hopefully Schmidt and going all-in.

• Cheers 3
  • Upvote 1

Just now, Crabcakes said:

That's the media estimate.  Only a number for comparisons sake

If EP gets offer sheeted 8-9x8 the extra 4.75 cap from this deal goes a long way. We’ll need to make room but the impact will be a lot less.  i.e. we pay EP and QH before the rest with peace of mind

We can also flip Schmidt now without our backs against the cap wall

• Cheers 1

Just now, SergioMomesso said:

I still can’t believe 5 years ago I was actually pumped to see Eriksson signed here. My my how the tables have turned.

The problem with Loui wasn’t that he was bad NOW it was that he was bad (at least value wise for the cap hit) for the entirety of his contract.

It’s like his hands turned to stone after signing the thing.  

With his decent defensive and “little things” game he probably would have kept some value if he could score on anything besides an empty net.  In the middle of his contract he’d get so many chances and just whiffle them into the goalies chest. I can’t imagine the guy as ever being a 30 goal scorer.

• Cheers 1

4 minutes ago, bbllpp said:

If EP gets offer sheeted 8-9x8 the extra 4.75 cap from this deal goes a long way. We’ll need to make room but the impact will be a lot less.  i.e. we pay EP and QH before the rest with peace of mind

Yep, there's plenty of wiggle room

5 minutes ago, bbllpp said:

I'd Petey gets offer sheeted I'd be choked it got that point

46 minutes ago, longsuffering said:

Do you think the Sedins had a hand in this decision?

yes.

bet eagle gets resigned too somehow, our team takes care of vets right type of thing.... well see...

oel and edler together.... team sweden?

hogs bo podz pls.

11 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

OEL's point totals last year work out to a 43 point season over 82 games.  That's the same production that he was getting BEFORE he signed his mega contract.  Just wait until he starts playing with Petey and Quinn.  He could have a 50 point season next year.

Team-D needs to be solved, signed, sealed & delivered-up to some regular ice-time together, in order to become a synchronized machine.

D-men are the heart of any hockey team. The goalies, are more like the immune system. If the D-men don’t function well, there is virtually very little game or any resistance to offer-up.

Edited by viking mama
  • Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Dirtman said:

I'm pretty stoked on OEL. No chance he doesn't come into camp motivated as hell.

Also, he balances out the handsome Swede quota we lost when Marky left. :wub:

LOL, didn't Hoglander take that spot tho!?

• Cheers 1

6 minutes ago, Dirtman said:

I'm pretty stoked on OEL. No chance he doesn't come into camp motivated as hell.

Also, he balances out the handsome Swede quota we lost when Marky left. :wub:

Amen to that.

….or is it - hail Odin!!! 

Edited by viking mama
  • Cheers 1
  • Haha 2