The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Trade] Canucks trade Jay Beagle, Loui Eriksson, Antoine Roussel, 2021 1st-round pick, 2022 2nd-round pick, 2023 7th-round pick to Coyotes for Oliver Ekman-Larsson, Conor Garland

9 minutes ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

Now the real hard work of signing everyone and getting them to fit, Schmidt and Hamonic included.

JBs been a great drafter and great trader but his signings have been questionable sometimes so let's hope he manages to get everyone in, don't want to forget anyone.

I think we still have to move cap, whether it be a Holtby trade ideally, Virtanen buyout or (hopefully not) a Schmidt trade, it's going to be tight.

Atu Raty still on the board you think Jim maybe trades up?

• Vintage 1

4 minutes ago, alucard said:

But whole strategy of Benning always trading away picks is what i am talking about.

what happened to build through the draft. trading away this year 1st round I get because it was a covid year.

but he always trades picks, I do not like that.

Exactly, he is not Yzerman savvy type.

I wouldn't call it savvy, it is more ruthless and Yzerman probably have a lot of enemies out there. Jimbo is more methodical and that is why most of his trades are pretty even and why he is well liked around the league. 

11 minutes ago, alucard said:

But whole strategy of Benning always trading away picks is what i am talking about.

what happened to build through the draft. trading away this year 1st round I get because it was a covid year.

but he always trades picks, I do not like that.

Exactly, he is not Yzerman savvy type.

Trading picks is fine if you've already built your core, which he has, and he did it through the draft. Demko, Horvat, Boeser, Petey. Hoglander. We've also got Juolevi, Rathbone, and Podkolzin coming up. No team gets 100% built through the draft, and at the end of the day, he can trade away every single pick we ever have as long as he's getting better value in return. 

He got outsized value when he traded for Miller. He got outsized value here too. 

Garland makes the kind of impact you expect an extremely successful 1st round pick to make. Does it really matter how we got him - through drafting him, versus trading a pick to get him?

• Like 2

1 minute ago, 24K PureCool said:

I wouldn't call it savvy, it is more ruthless and Yzerman probably have a lot of enemies out there. Jimbo is more methodical and that is why most of his trades are pretty even and why he is well liked around the league. 

Suggesting Benning is more methodical than Yzerman flies in the face of reality. Pretty much every move Yzerman makes can be directly seen for where it fits in his long term strategy. Every move has a reason and most of the time the reason is crystal clear and makes sense.

Benning flip flops between a rebuild and an all in now approach. His moves regularly contradict the ones before them, arent immediately recognizable as part of an actual long term strategy, and present as purely reactive in the here and now.

Benning doesnt hold a candle to Yzerman in the methodical department. 

How do you know Benning is well liked around the league and that Yzerman isnt and has many enemies? The truth is you dont. 

• Vintage 1
  • RoughGame 1

Just now, wallstreetamigo said:

Suggesting Benning is more methodical than Yzerman flies in the face of reality. Pretty much every move Yzerman makes can be directly seen for where it fits in his long term strategy. Every move has a reason and most of the time the reason is crystal clear and makes sense.

Benning flip flops between a rebuild and an all in now approach. His moves regularly contradict the ones before them, arent immediately recognizable as part of an actual long term strategy, and present as purely reactive in the here and now.

Benning doesnt hold a candle to Yzerman in the methodical department. 

How do you know Benning is well liked around the league and that Yzerman isnt and has many enemies? The truth is you dont. 

:bored:

• Cheers 1

I know that OEL has been JB's white whale for the past couple of years, so obviously he thinks he'll help to solve the team's defensive woes. I just watched the Garland highlight video showing all 22 goals from two seasons ago and I have to say, I'm excited. The guy has great hockey IQ, fantastic hands, he goes to the dirty areas, almost all the goals came from within eight feet of the net, he always has his stick ready for a pass or a tip, he's tough and relentless. I can see he will immediately make our PP better, and he will fit perfectly with the Horvat line's transition game. Considering that this year's draft was something of a crap shoot, and guys like Miller, Myers, Bo, Pearson and Dickenson aren't getting any younger, this was the year to pull out the stops. This is a really good trade, it solves two of our glaring problems, a top 4 defender and a top six winger, and it solves our LE, AR, JB problems. Now if someone would relieve us of our JV problem, that would be great!

• Like 2
  • Vintage 1

2 minutes ago, Bertuzzipunch said:

So we have about 18 or so in cap space atm but need to sign

petey (7)

quinn (6)

dicky (2.5?)

garland(4.25?)

thats 19.75 right there and we still need another D or 2 and a 4c. How we opening up more cap?

Virtanen buyout, Holtby moved. 3m opened up if Holtby cant be traded, only bought out. 6mish if we can move Holtby somehow. 

I don't wanna see Schmidt moved anymore (I think he'd be a perfect partner for OEL) but that's also an option and can be replaced by a cheaper option.

52 minutes ago, alucard said:

He has some points:

1.Why as a team which does not make playoffs we always trade picks?

2.Why pay so much with picks to take a big contract? especially in flat cap era?

Last year was not a true reflection of the team. Bubble Canucks are.

We lost Edler and got OEL. 6 mil for a D that can play is not that terrible. 

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

47 minutes ago, Devron44 said:

Benning sucks at interviews. He probably meant cup competitive in 2 years. I’ve been watching people talk about the 2 year thing ever since he said that. Kinda chuckling about it. He also said he would be aggressive this off-season. Best way to figure out what is going on is to watch what he does, not what he says.

He probably didn’t expect draft picks like Hughes and Pettersson take off so quickly. Hence why we are trading these contracts today instead of letting them run out. 

Plans change, markets change, players change, environments change. That’s my take on what happened today. And I have to say I’m pretty excited 

Have you checked out Garlands highlight video?

The guys puck and playmaking skills are off the charts, Horvat finally has his playmaking winger.

Our top 9 is looking deadly.

A third line with 3 very good defensive players that should be able to put up points.

I do think having hogs on the 3rd line would really open things up and Pearson is a guy who loves to play around the net and Garland is crazy good from behind the net, between Prarson and Horvat I could see a lot of slot goals, tap-ins and greasy goals while shutting down lines.

That third line of Podz Hogs and Dickenson would feast on weaker competition 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

If Garland pushes Pearson down to the 3rd line, it will be good for Horvat.

Miller-EP-Boeser

Hoglander-Horvat-Garland

Pearson-Dickinson-Podkolzin

Motte-Graovac/Sutter/UFA/Trade-MacEwan

Highmore

OEL-Schmidt

Hughes-Hamonic/UFA/Trade

Rathbone/Juolevi-Myers

That would be ok.

That 2nd line has exactly the kind of wingers Horvat needs and the 3rd line can chip in too. Plus defensively it wont have to fall on Horvat to be the sole shutdown center.

Edited by wallstreetamigo
  • Cheers 2

47 minutes ago, Nave said:

Wow, he actually did it. Offloaded three horrible contracts of guys who can no longer play... 

But, to get a top 4 defenseman and top 6 forward while doing it? Wow, wow.
When I found out the news at work, I decided to reserve judgment until I saw how the draft played out after my shift.
None of the guys I really wanted were still there at 9. So, I feel really good about the trade.
Benning bet that none of the top 4 D would fall to us, and won.

The top 9 played out the best possible way for us. Ironically I thought the pick would end up being Kent, after watching as many clips of Garland I could find I realized they are very similar offensively, same puck skills both very smart but where Kent is a bit of a puck hog Garland is a playmaking stud who plays very similar to Marchand. I fully admit I was a sceptic and thought the gushing the Yotes fans were doing was just homer talk. Small guys need to have that edge to survive, like Hoglander he has it in spades.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Bertuzzipunch said:

So we have about 18 or so in cap space atm but need to sign

petey (7)

quinn (6)

dicky (2.5?)

garland(4.25?)

thats 19.75 right there and we still need another D or 2 and a 4c. How we opening up more cap?

Mostly likely from Holtby or schmidt being traded. I wouldn't expect a good return if we REALLY want to unload those contracts, but I would think theres enough of a market for those to two to get a decent return

While I get some of the negativity around giving up draft picks at the same time we can't afford to continue to waste the opportunity when we have guys like Petey, Hughes, Bo, Demko etc beginning to blossom. Look at Edmonton - hoiw many years has McDavid been in the league and Draisaitl? How many years has Oilers management wasted of their production. I think Jim finds another gem in the 2nd round and we move on.

• Like 2
  • Cheers 2