The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Trade] Canucks trade Jay Beagle, Loui Eriksson, Antoine Roussel, 2021 1st-round pick, 2022 2nd-round pick, 2023 7th-round pick to Coyotes for Oliver Ekman-Larsson, Conor Garland

1 minute ago, 4petesake said:

My guess is that if it takes too long for the players to click with Green they’ll be trying to connect with Shaw. 

Truthfully, that's usually the way it goes.  Players don't have a ton of contact with a head coach, it's usually the assistant coaches providing that connection

• Cheers 2

Just now, stawns said:

Truthfully, that's usually the way it goes.  Players don't have a ton of contact with a head coach, it's usually the assistant coaches providing that connection

So true but what I’m really getting at is that Shaw is likely the next man up if things go south under Travis.

• Vintage 3

7 minutes ago, Me_ said:

Really? That’s where we’re going?

It was brought up so I gave my opinion. 

But my question on D are how does this help Hughes ? Doesn't Hughes need a player that plays on his opposite side ? 

Secondly the cap. 7+ for OEL, 6 for Myers, 5+ for Schmidt (if he stays), and Hughes' extension 

How does this work long term?

Edited by iinatcc

24 minutes ago, gurn said:

Barring injuries, that is a play off team, and likely a round or two winner.

The year after, imo, is the beginning of the cup 'window".

Top 2 lines are too soft and small.   I wont be surprised to see Podz in top 6 even next yr.

5 hours ago, FaninMex said:

Why? 

He trades too many picks looking for players that can help the team win. In a rebuild, i have no problem with this. Many of the draft picks are not going to pan out. He is looking. 

It has been said again and again, most free agents do not want to come to Canada. So, sometimes you have to pay a bit more than an American team to get someone here ala Beagle and Roussel. If the cap went up, there would be no crying. Suddenly the cap goes flat and Benning should have known, these are the worst signings ever! Fly a banner OMG we are doomed. Waaaaa. 

We are rebuilding for 7 years dude, Life is not that long so you know.

He says we are two year away from contending, then pulls this trade.

He changes lanes and does not stick to the plan.

There is a reason LInden left.

All I am saying you are giving him too much credit, credit he has not earned.

Again if no progress next season I would fire him, also what is the average lifespan of a NHL GM in a team????

• Wat 3

4 minutes ago, iinatcc said:

But my question on D are how does this help Hughes ? Doesn't Hughes need a player that plays on his opposite side ? 

Secondly the cap. 7+ for OEL, 6 for Myers, 5+ for Schmidt (if he stays), and Hughes' extension 

Is Hughes so inadequate that he needs the perfect player to make his game better?   

I dont think i remember a player in recent memory be this high maintenance.

Hamonic was perfect alongside Hughes this past season.  Its going to be near impossible to find a dman that covers up for Hughes deficiencies as well as Hamonic did.

• Wat 1

6 hours ago, KirkSave said:

Nobody in their right mind would compare OEL to Hedman. Hedman is THE Ultimate complete D-man, extremely talented/solid in every facet of the game. No other D can do what he does on the ice, the way he does it, on a nightly basis. OEL will be a solid addition to our d-core, so if fans are excited about that, I see no issue with this. But our excitement certainly doesn't lead us to making unfair comparrisons b/w him and Hedman. Give your head a shake.

I was speaking metaphorically, his stats shows he has declined, good D, but would you sign him if he was free with that contract?

be honest, if he was UFA right now and JB signed him with that contract, you can`t argue people would have a right to criticize that signing.

I am cheering for him, but it was a very very even trade.

Edited by alucard

42 minutes ago, iinatcc said:

Hughes needs pressure off of him OEL does that.

Myers is nasty and is needed to police the ice when times get tough. He’s getting really good at it too.

Shmidt may be on the trade block. According to Dreger, there are four NHL defensemen still to move before Schmidt garners peak interest.

See what happens there.

I do appreciate your concerns.

Edited by Me_

1 minute ago, EddieVedder said:

Is Hughes so inadequate that he needs the perfect player to make his game better?   

Hamonic was perfect alongside Hughes this past season.  Its going to be near impossible to find a dman that covers up for Hughes deficiencies as well as Hamonic did.

Right now the lack of news about Hamonic is a puzzling to me as was the lack of an attempt to retain Fantenberg last season.

Both players did exactly what we wanted from them and did so at a team friendly price. Unless TH's camp is holding out for some sort of raise, based on what he did for Hughes last season, it makes no sense to me that we haven't heard anything about retaining him.

I know JB has been working on the OEL thing for weeks, but c'mon man....multi-task....

5 minutes ago, iinatcc said:

As far as helping Hughes goes, this pick up means Hughes doesn't have to play as the number 1 defender every night playing 23+ minutes a night. I mean there were way too many games last season when he was over 25, 26, 27 a night, hell in one game he played over 30 min. That's just too much to ask of him, he needs to be kept in the 20 to 22 range and this makes that possible. OEL is still a 24+ min a night guy that can kill penalties, play physical and be in more of a match up role like Eagle used to while still being effective in the offensive zone. He is by no means a true shutdown guy but I would bet he shows significant improvement compared to being under Tocchet.

As for the 2nd part I don't expect Schmidt to be on our team by this time next year.

4 minutes ago, EddieVedder said:

Schenn was far from perfect and he seemed to gel well with Hughes.  Chemistry is the unknown factor.  Remember just how bad Edler & Bieksa were together in their prime?  And those two guys were LEGIT top 4 guys.

4 hours ago, Fred65 said:

Write these words down

OEL has only once in his entiree NHL career been a plus player and that was his first ( actual half  season ) iin 2013. Now we have Ericksson Mk2 covering up for Ericksson Mk1 and to think we couldn't sign Tanev because the term was too long ..... 4 years @ $4mill per. I hope the Xmas card you get from Arizona is  worth it all

I do not like lengthy contracts in this flat cap era. unless it is for a young core even then you do your best as a GM not to do it, I do not like term of OEL contract-regardless of a good D he can be-, long-term it will suck, good thing it can be bought out last 2 years.