The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Trade] Canucks trade Jay Beagle, Loui Eriksson, Antoine Roussel, 2021 1st-round pick, 2022 2nd-round pick, 2023 7th-round pick to Coyotes for Oliver Ekman-Larsson, Conor Garland

3 minutes ago, stawns said:

Can you elaborate?  As far as I can tell he might not have been happy in AZ, but his play certainly doesn't seem to show it and the numbers back that up.

Just google about him and there was a lot of discussion about him yesterday.   

Also, it seems the Twins have vouched for him - excited about the season and fingers crossed it goes well.

Edited by ShawnAntoski

11 minutes ago, buddhahoodlum said:

I think OEL just doesn't have to suck for the next 4 years for this to be a win. And really if you look at it, it's the 9OA and a 2nd round pick for OEL AND Garland. As much as I like Beagle and his work ethic we all knew he wasn't in our plans long-term. Looking forward to puck drop. 

Agreed.

In trying to sort through it in my mind, I've just called Garland the return for the 9OA - which is a loss, but Garland's game looks to be on the upswing, so not a huge loss.

At that point, you can sort of look at OEL as a 2nd, 7th and a trade of cap dumps.

Further, I think it's reasonable to expect OEL to at least duplicate what Edler has been over the past 6 years. Likewise his cap hit will be somewhat similar to Edler, taking inflation and an eventually-rising cap into consideration.

So at a baseline, we would definitely trade a 2nd and 7th for what Edler has been for all these years.

If OEL brings more than that - which is at least somewhat likely - this turns out to be a good trade.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

Just now, nzan said:

Agreed.

In trying to sort through it in my mind, I've just called Garland the return for the 9OA - which is a loss, but Garland's game looks to be on the upswing, so not a huge loss.

At that point, you can sort of look at OEL as a 2nd, 7th and a trade of cap dumps.

Further, I think it's reasonable to expect OEL to at least duplicate what Edler has been over the past 6 years. Likewise his cap hit will be somewhat similar to Edler, taking inflation and an eventually-rising cap into consideration.

So at a baseline, we would definitely trade a 2nd and 7th for what Edler has been for all these years.

If OEL brings more than that - which is at least somewhat likely - this turns out to be a good trade.

It's not a loss if you consider that all the guys everyone wanted were gone by #9.  JB was obviously privvy to that info and it likely factored into his decision to pull the trigger on the deal

• Cheers 1

3 hours ago, Canuckster86 said:

makar got 9m over 6yrs this am, anything is possible

Maker is significantly better at D at this point so that’s got to account for a sizable discount on Quinn’s contract otherwise Benning is overpaying.

1 hour ago, iinatcc said:

I dunno the person from the Coyotes media that was interviewed by Sportsnet said OEL's skating is one of his biggest problems as the game is getting faster

Haha.. then this 'media person' is obviously clueless.   

OEL is one of best skaters in the league 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, ShawnAntoski said:

Good context - hoping that the deal works out long term cause the deal mainly hinges on OEL regaining his form.

It seems lots of tweakings are still to be done till puck drop in the pre season.

Yeah, more changes are almost certainly coming, since this deal actually fills holes and frees up existing resources.  For me, OEL doesn't have to regain his best form, just play within himself as he is now, for this to be a big win for us.  Garland is the centerpiece of this deal even though he's got the smaller name.  The guy is an absolute buzzsaw, like Gallagher but a better scorer.  Will be a leader on the team and a fan favourite.

• Vintage 1

1 minute ago, stawns said:

It's not a loss if you consider that all the guys everyone wanted were gone by #9.  JB was obviously privvy to that info and it likely factored into his decision to pull the trigger on the deal

Fair enough - I think Garland is going to be excellent for us, and I think he's only getting better (judging by basic numbers).

It could very well be that it turns out to be a huge win, I kind of think it will be. Like the Miller trade.

It's just that at this moment, I don't think most people would trade a 9OA for Garland straight up.

1 minute ago, Maniwaki Canuck said:

Yeah, more changes are almost certainly coming, since this deal actually fills holes and frees up existing resources.  For me, OEL doesn't have to regain his best form, just play within himself as he is now, for this to be a big win for us.  Garland is the centerpiece of this deal even though he's got the smaller name.  The guy is an absolute buzzsaw, like Gallagher but a better scorer.  Will be a leader on the team and a fan favourite.

Yeah, really excited about what potentially on paper can be a very competitive roster - now the pressure is on Green to put it all together ?

• Cheers 2

1 minute ago, Tom Sestito said:

Feels like people weren’t happy when I said OEL hasn’t been good for five years - he himself said he’s struggled for the last four years. 

Yeah and that coincides exactly with when Tocchet took over as head coach in Arizona. OEL and Tocchet really didn't get along to the point of taking veiled shots at each other in the media, which is exactly how I read this comment. This is why I think he is a prime candidate to have a strong bounce back season with a change of scenery.

• Like 2

Just now, 204CanucksFan said:

Yeah and that coincides exactly with when Tocchet took over as head coach in Arizona. OEL and Tocchet really didn't get along to the point of taking veiled shots at each other in the media, which is exactly how I read this comment. This is why I think he is a prime candidate to have a strong bounce back season with a change of scenery.

Yeah, I don’t doubt some level of improvement because of the coaching change but there have been some insane denials of how bad OEL has been for the last few years.

They need him to perform like an elite top four D. If they do, and his contract becomes only a slight overpayment, the trade becomes a win.

If he performs near the level he has under Tocchet, we are &^@#ed.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Tom Sestito said:

Feels like people weren’t happy when I said OEL hasn’t been good for five years - he himself said he’s struggled for the last four years. 

To be fair he did mention, he's glad for a new start and to be happy playing again. Playing in the desert when your team is a revolving door of talent might have a deep effect on your morale. 

5 minutes ago, nzan said:

Fair enough - I think Garland is going to be excellent for us, and I think he's only getting better (judging by basic numbers).

It could very well be that it turns out to be a huge win, I kind of think it will be. Like the Miller trade.

It's just that at this moment, I don't think most people would trade a 9OA for Garland straight up.

Fair point

• Cheers 1

Just now, Ghostsof1915 said:

To be fair he did mention, he's glad for a new start and to be happy playing again. Playing in the desert when your team is a revolving door of talent might have a deep effect on your morale. 

Sure, I’ve never debated that his morale was shot. That has always been clear. My point is it has been so long since he played at a truly high level - and he himself admitted that. I’m hopeful but not optimistic about him returning to form. 

5 minutes ago, Tom Sestito said:

He also said he is trying to improve his conditioning. The Sedins conditioning has been elite since their mid twenties. That is how they played until 35. 

Trying to improve your conditioning at 30 is a bit late.