The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Oliver Ekman-Larsson | #23 | D

-AJ-

1 hour ago, JamesBlondage said:

How come his number is still shown here as a question mark? By all reports he will be wearing #23 and is even listed on the Canucks roster with that number, shouldn’t this be updated here? 

Maybe someone posted it in the Juolevi or the Rathbone thread.

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, aGENT said:

And my heart aches for your poor folk who will inevitably lose your cheese when he almost certainly gets sent down despite likely continuing to look more 'dynamic' in camp :lol:

Stuff like this is just completely uneccesary, and indicates that you are bothered by the fact that this is even a debate. You're going out of your way to antagonize someone that's a fan of the same team because they believe the team, as it is currently structured, would benefit more from having one player in the lineup over another one. Not saying that intentionally bringing toxicity into the discussion makes you a bad fan or anything....

But yes, I believe Rathbone is the better option for the team, considering how the team is currently structured. This team is going to have to push the pace in order to be successful, and I believe Rathbone gives us a better chance to do that than Juolevi. I don't think Juolevi had the mobility to keep up with the way this team is going to have to play. He may be fine in a secondary penalty killing role, but I'm of the belief that what Rathbone will add 5v5 (as well as giving us a secondary PP option) outweighs what Juolevi will bring to the PK. 

But regardless of what you or me might think, the decision lies with Green. I'm confident that he'll make the right call, regardless of who he picks. One thing's for sure, whether I'm right or wrong, I certainly won't go out of my way to antagonize anyone who feels differently. That would just make me a $&!#ty fan. We are all Canucks, after all.

Go Canucks, Go! :towel:

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1

2 hours ago, aGENT said:

He is a VERY exciting defensive prospect that would likely thrive in a sheltered, offensive role with PP time. But his defensive play still requires development and he'd have a LOT of trouble finding the offensive minutes/usage he'd need to thrive at this level behind Hughes and OEL, who will eat most of those minutes up ahead of him. There's just not enough offensive/PP minutes/usage to go around for all three. 

this might be ultimately what sends him to Abby to begin the year. And thats fine, even 1/2 a season in the AHL would be huge for him and allow him to make mistakes in the right environment. 

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, 48MPHSlapShot said:

Stuff like this is just completely uneccesary, and indicates that you are bothered by the fact that this is even a debate. You're going out of your way to antagonize someone that's a fan of the same team because they believe the team, as it is currently structured, would benefit more from having one player in the lineup over another one. Not saying that intentionally bringing toxicity into the discussion makes you a bad fan or anything....

But yes, I believe Rathbone is the better option for the team, considering how the team is currently structured. This team is going to have to push the pace in order to be successful, and I believe Rathbone gives us a better chance to do that than Juolevi. I don't think Juolevi had the mobility to keep up with the way this team is going to have to play. He may be fine in a secondary penalty killing role, but I'm of the belief that what Rathbone will add 5v5 (as well as giving us a secondary PP option) outweighs what Juolevi will bring to the PK. 

But regardless of what you or me might think, the decision lies with Green. I'm confident that he'll make the right call, regardless of who he picks. One thing's for sure, whether I'm right or wrong, I certainly won't go out of my way to antagonize anyone who feels differently. That would just make me a $&!#ty fan. We are all Canucks, after all.

Go Canucks, Go! :towel:

You might say you're 'bothered' by it :bigblush:

• Haha 1

23 hours ago, aGENT said:

Not bothered at all. IMO, it's not remotely about what fans 'prefer'. That's funny :lol: I simply think that's a pretty silly and clearly biased take that completely ignores team needs, players strengths/weaknesses, where those players are likely best served based on those strengths/weaknesses etc.

Nobody is suggesting Rathbone isn't good or even that he isn't more exciting or dynamic. He is. Nobody is even suggesting he won't be a better player long term. He very well could be. One need not attack either player to suggest Rathbone would be better served playing in Abby until/if there's an injury to one of OEL/Hughes.

He is a VERY exciting defensive prospect that would likely thrive in a sheltered, offensive role with PP time. But his defensive play still requires development and he'd have a LOT of trouble finding the offensive minutes/usage he'd need to thrive at this level behind Hughes and OEL, who will eat most of those minutes up ahead of him. There's just not enough offensive/PP minutes/usage to go around for all three. 

And as already mentioned, his defensive play could still stand more improvement to make him successful where we do have minutes available. Specifically in Dzone usage and the PK. OJ's skill set and development clearly show him to presently, be a better fit for that role, as he was already used by Green with near 60% Dzone starts and some PK time as a rookie. That's no small thing to conveniently ignore.

By all means, if he comes in and is able to outplay Juolevi in Dzone/PK situations...the job's his. I simply don't see that as likely or realistic given what we've seen. And my heart aches for your poor folk who will inevitably lose your cheese when he almost certainly gets sent down despite likely continuing to look more 'dynamic' in camp :lol:

One thing management will make room for the best young player and Rathbone will make the NHL club right out of camp..

1. Hughes  2. OEL  3. Meyers, 4. Hamonic  5. Poolman  6. Rathbone   7. Juolevi  8. Schenn,  Bowey ---Hunt .....

Schenn will make same money in AHL  $800,000 -2021----$900,000 - 2022..

On 9/5/2021 at 2:56 PM, NUCKER67 said:

The Replacements:

Loui or Jake <<  Podkolzin

Roussel <<  Garland

Beagle <<  Dickinson

Edler <<  Ekman-Larsson

Schmidt =  Rathbone

Holtby =  Halak

D  Depth

Chatfield, Rafferty, Eliot <<  Poolman, Schenn, Hunt, Burroughs, Keeper

Coaches

Brown <<  Shaw

Pretty much better everywhere

I mean I like Rathbone as a prospect but settle down lol

• Wat 1

7 hours ago, DeNiro said:

Knowing his character he probably got Edlers blessing before choosing that number.

And knowing Edlers character he was probably more than happy to pass that number on to someone like OEL.

Very true. Now that you mention it, there's no doubt in my mind that OEL asked Edler first.

• -AJ- changed the title to Oliver Ekman-Larsson | #23 | D
7 hours ago, Alflives said:

Edler is gone, so not surprised at all OEL takes the number he prefers.  I’d have been surprised if he didn’t take 23.  

Huge upgrade on D this year with OEL and Poolman taking the minutes of Edler and Schmidt.  

Very true again Mr. A  Furface, your on a roll... 

• Cheers 1

On 9/3/2021 at 12:34 PM, Fred65 said:

If that's the case why is he still so poor defending the rush?

Injuries and getting his mobility back on track, hopefully he's worked on it through the offseason but admittedly he's had to still deal with the effects still but that might be changed, or not. 

We will soon see won't we? 

Would suck to see 2 high picks in JV and OJ tank it both, JV was enough...

42 minutes ago, NewbieCanuckFan said:

Why would he need his blessing?  Edler isn't on the team anymore.

He wouldn't need it at all, but OEL is a classy guy and would ask for it anyways.

A bit like asking a father for permission to marry his daughter, even though it isn't strictly required by law or anything.

• Cheers 1