The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Oliver Ekman-Larsson | #23 | D

-AJ-

14 hours ago, Googlie said:

Phoenix too  .... heres a quote from last month's Norada:

When the June median sales price is reported it could be a year-over-year gain of 31.15%. Phoenix-area home prices are forecasted to continue to rise at a brisk pace for quite some time.

https://www.realtor.com/realestateandhomes-search/Phoenix_AZ

They still have a long way to go to get to Vancouvers prices

On 7/24/2021 at 6:43 AM, Wolfgang Durst said:

any more predictions, I mean what will the price of bitcoin will look like in 2026?, what will the price of Amazon look like in 2026?. Obviously you think you can read the future. So I expect you to provide me with some answers. 

Sell all that garbage and buy bc real estate. better investment

• Cheers 1

A passage from Ian McIntyre's new article

https://www.sportsnet.ca/nhl/article/ekman-larsson-doesnt-need-no-1-canucks-provide-value/

Daniel Sedin, who along with brother Henrik rejoined the organization in June as a special advisor to Benning, told Sportsnet 650 radio that Ekman-Larsson took “full responsibility” for his play the last couple of years and would be better in Vancouver.

“The main thing for me is he’s professional, he’s a leader,” Sedin said. “He’ll be so good with Quinn and (defenceman Jack) Rathbone, I think, teaching them how to be professional. It’s not about him, it’s about the team. He’ll do anything to help the team win and he brings everything you want in a teammate and a leader.”

But it’s doubtful Ekman-Larsson will bring enough on the ice to make everyone believe he is full value for the annual $7.26-million cap charge the Canucks face after the Coyotes agreed to retain $990,000 in salary for each of the next six years.

OEL has the Sedins' endorsement. Enough said.

Pay attention to people like Wolfgang Durst, Squam, and Combover. These guys are not fans of this team, but trolls. It doesn't mean that things can't be criticized, but the overemphasis of the negative parts of this team clearly indicate bias.

Edited by Dazzle
  • Cheers 3

On 7/24/2021 at 6:46 PM, ruilin96 said:

No wonder why Eddie Lack chose to be a realestate agent at Phoenix as his post hockey career.

Phoenix is one of the few places I've been in the world where I was a bit concerned for my safety - and I've been in the worst neighbourhood in Mexico City and felt fine.  E. Van Buren between 24th and 32nd is a nightmare at night despite having a lot of the airport area hotels.

• Cheers 1

What if OEL plays his best hockey in VAN?  I know he's older (30), and some may feel his best days are behind him, but I think there's lots left in the tank. He unhappily toiled in the desert his whole career, and still managed to produce.

VAN has Brad Shaw to work with the D. He won't necessarily be relied on to be the #1 guy, nice to have Quinn Hughes as your team mate. There's great support for him here with the Sedins. Maybe we haven't seen what OEL can actually do yet.  I know, super optimistic, but 30 isn't that old and should have 4-5 good years left. Now go get that Cup.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2

On 7/23/2021 at 2:50 PM, -AJ- said:

A deeper look at some of his basic underlying metrics suggest that although his puck possession is alright, many of his other defensive stats look quite poor. His offense is obviously still solid, and it looks like he was used as a 2/3 guy in terms of TOI. I think we'd be wise not to expect too much out of him, but hope he can regain at least some of his game back.

Some positives:

- Reasonably responsible on the penalty front for a defenseman

- Played on the 2nd PK unit last year

- Decent puck possession

- Two years removed from receiving some Norris attention (2018-19, he received a single 3rd place vote, so he finished 11th in voting)

- Played on PP1 for Arizona all of last year

- Had the highest PP goals per 60 of all Coyotes defensemen (goals by the team while on the ice for the PP)

I think some of his poor defensive metrics may be due to lack of motivation.

Defence is the hardest part of any sport. When you are playing for a team that don't want you, well, you don't want to sacrifice your body out there for that team.

My guess is that he didn't go full 100% in order to protect himself from any potential injury, which would make any trade involving him difficult.

As for PP, I think the Canucks should look into having both QH and OEL out there. 

That would mean taking one of Miller, Horvat, or Boeser off the first unit. Not an easy choice but can't waste OEL on the 2nd PP with the shot that he's got from the point.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

On 7/26/2021 at 4:50 PM, NUCKER67 said:

What if OEL plays his best hockey in VAN?  I know he's older (30), and some may feel his best days are behind him, but I think there's lots left in the tank. He unhappily toiled in the desert his whole career, and still managed to produce.

VAN has Brad Shaw to work with the D. He won't necessarily be relied on to be the #1 guy, nice to have Quinn Hughes as your team mate. There's great support for him here with the Sedins. Maybe we haven't seen what OEL can actually do yet.  I know, super optimistic, but 30 isn't that old and should have 4-5 good years left. Now go get that Cup.

OEL has never played with elite players of Sedins or Petterson's caliber, well except on team Sweden. And on team Sweden, he has been one of the best players.

I think he will excel and reach new heights.

My prediction is 60 points in a full 82 game season if the Canucks find a way to put him and QH on the #1PP.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

On 7/26/2021 at 4:20 PM, RogersTowell said:

Phoenix is one of the few places I've been in the world where I was a bit concerned for my safety - and I've been in the worst neighbourhood in Mexico City and felt fine.  E. Van Buren between 24th and 32nd is a nightmare at night despite having a lot of the airport area hotels.

Why is it so bad? High crime? What are the shady things that are going on?

On 7/25/2021 at 10:28 PM, Dazzle said:

A passage from Ian McIntyre's new article

https://www.sportsnet.ca/nhl/article/ekman-larsson-doesnt-need-no-1-canucks-provide-value/

Daniel Sedin, who along with brother Henrik rejoined the organization in June as a special advisor to Benning, told Sportsnet 650 radio that Ekman-Larsson took “full responsibility” for his play the last couple of years and would be better in Vancouver.

“The main thing for me is he’s professional, he’s a leader,” Sedin said. “He’ll be so good with Quinn and (defenceman Jack) Rathbone, I think, teaching them how to be professional. It’s not about him, it’s about the team. He’ll do anything to help the team win and he brings everything you want in a teammate and a leader.”

But it’s doubtful Ekman-Larsson will bring enough on the ice to make everyone believe he is full value for the annual $7.26-million cap charge the Canucks face after the Coyotes agreed to retain $990,000 in salary for each of the next six years.

OEL has the Sedins' endorsement. Enough said.

Pay attention to people like Wolfgang Durst, Squam, and Combover. These guys are not fans of this team, but trolls. It doesn't mean that things can't be criticized, but the overemphasis of the negative parts of this team clearly indicate bias.

People may scoff at this, as Benning era overvaluing 'leadership' (Beagle, Roussel, exc), but coming from the Sedins there's real legitimacy. 

The Twins carried the 'winning culture' by the way they set the tone for the team as far as effort level, expectation, dedication (both to the team & individually).

So no body understands which players are capable of contributing to the culture of a high end group more than the Twins. I'm not doubting OEL's character & commitment for a second.

• Cheers 1

On 7/24/2021 at 6:49 AM, Wolfgang Durst said:

thanks for your post and especially for your balance view on OEL, outlining not only the negatives but also the positives. I think there is a good chance that Canucks don't get full value out of his contract, not only for the final two years of his contract but over the whole duration of his contract. Good chance that Canucks added another inefficient contract, can't imagine that OEL is going to have a performance which would justify his cap hit of 7M+ over the next 6 years.

How often has Benning mentioned that he wants to add size and strength? countless times and then he adds a D-Man like OEL who is not know for playing a physical game. Let's take a look at the left side of Canucks D:

OEL + Hughes + Juolevi: none of them is know for playing a physical game. I  expect that Canucks are one of the easiest teams and softest teams  to play against next season.

You have not watched OEL play if you think he is easy to play against. Time and time again people think, because he a skilled puck moving defenseman he does not mix it up on the physical side. OEL can be very mean when fighting for the puck. The number one thing ; OEL is still one of the best at moving the puck to his forwards quickly. His first pass is world class. He is very good at skating out of trouble and starting the offensive rush.

Defense is a team stat, if the team has a weak system or just one player on the ice does not work to defend then the D man suffers. I think if you look at the top 9 forwards for the Canuck they all back check, working hard to help the D men. OEL will love the forward group.  The powerplay will be better with OEL and you know Green will try to get both OEL and Quinn as much time as possible on the PP. 

I think with all things added up, OEL has better odds of reaching his best then being the whipping boy for the Benning haters. 

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 2

On 7/28/2021 at 2:00 AM, Smashian Kassian said:

People may scoff at this, as Benning era overvaluing 'leadership' (Beagle, Roussel, exc), but coming from the Sedins there's real legitimacy. 

The Twins carried the 'winning culture' by the way they set the tone for the team as far as effort level, expectation, dedication (both to the team & individually).

So no body understands which players are capable of contributing to the culture of a high end group more than the Twins. I'm not doubting OEL's character & commitment for a second.

Why do people continue to place all the blame on only the GM's of a Team. Every GM has many experts giving them advice on who to sign and not to.  

Edited by vancan2233
spelling
  • Cheers 1

On 7/24/2021 at 6:49 AM, Wolfgang Durst said:

I think there is a good chance that Canucks don't get full value out of his contract, not only for the final two years of his contract but over the whole duration of his contract. Good chance that Canucks added another inefficient contract, can't imagine that OEL is going to have a performance which would justify his cap hit of 7M+ over the next 6 years.

So lets explore this for a moment. What major performance levels (I don't want to get into the weeds with "WAR" and all that) would you consider worth that contract?

- top 2 pairing

- 40-50 points

- 10 to 12 goals

- 20+ min's, all situations 

would that be about right? 

Edited by Jimmy McGill
  • Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

On 7/27/2021 at 10:40 PM, khay said:

As for PP, I think the Canucks should look into having both QH and OEL out there. 

That would mean taking one of Miller, Horvat, or Boeser off the first unit. Not an easy choice but can't waste OEL on the 2nd PP with the shot that he's got from the point

I've honestly never been a huge fan of the 4 forward/1 D formation, especially considering how stacking our best forwards on the first unit diminishes our second unit. 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1

9 minutes ago, 48MPHSlapShot said:

I've honestly never been a huge fan of the 4 forward/1 D formation, especially considering how stacking our best forwards on the first unit diminishes our second unit. 

I think the offense has been upgraded enough to run 2 almost equal power plays.

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1