The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Buyout] Canucks terminate Virtanen’s contract

Last year was so miserable it is good to clear out a lot of the problems from the dressing room. Gaudette, Jake, Louie all gone. Hopefully Sutter as well. 
Beagle was a consummate pro but just didn’t give good enough return for his contract. Rous was not the same after knee injury. 
That is a lot of parts out that would have been the veteran voices especially if Edler is truly gone. This amplifies Bo, Quinn’s and hopefully Elias’ voices and really it shows them this is your team. 

• Vintage 1

7 minutes ago, RakuRaku said:

And because we had drafted Jake, we said no thanks to Matt Tkachuk and opted for Juolevi instead... And the rest is history!! What a sad turn of events.... 

Nonetheless I still have faith in Juolevi... He just gotta work on his slapshots from the point and prove that he can bring his junior dominance to NHL! 

I'm not sour about not drafting Tkachuk, I'm sour about not drafting Sergachev in that draft.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

I’ll bet their are other things that Jake did that we are not aware of. That caused JB, to finally buy him out.

Kassian had to hit rock bottom. Maybe this is Jakes rock bottom moment to turn his life around.

Edited by wildwood12

1 minute ago, DrJockitch said:

Kind of puts a nail in the coffin of just how bad JB’s first couple years as a GM were. 
Bad trades, bad drafts, bad contracts everywhere. Started in a very tough situation but did himself no favours. 

So far he has only been decent in drafts.

• RoughGame 1

1 hour ago, smokes said:

I feel like drafting hometown kids don't work well. He had no chance to mature and be his own man. Sometimes having family and childhood friends around when you are a young millionaire gets you distracted from the goal.

I've never quite understood the hometown kid thing too.

Sure the player happened to be born in the city that the team is located in but that doesn't necessarily mean they will thrive.

That being said, I think it also depends on the maturity level of the player.

Jake seemed to value partying over developing his game.

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, PetterssonOrPeterson said:

I've never quite understood the hometown kid thing too.

Sure the player happened to be born in the city that the team is located in but that doesn't necessarily mean they will thrive.

That being said, I think it also depends on the maturity level of the player.

Jake seemed to value partying over developing his game.

And eating, don't forget his eating. Loved showing up to training camp overweight.

26 minutes ago, oldnews said:

Virtanen's emotional intelligence wasn't ready for the next step to becoming a professional.   His physical frame, his hockey 'intelligence' was adequate (imo - I'm not going to debate this with people that believe otherwise) - but like many (of us as) young men, growing a/the brain, particularly in the social adjustment/maturity sense, doesn't necessarily coincide.

In a way I think he was nevertheless quite fortunate, in spite of stupid actions/behaviour - being so young-minded with a tendency to lean in the wrong direction, to have landed with Travis Green, who seemed to have a positive effect on Virtanen in a wider sense than simply his hockey career, even if that needed to run deeper.   Virtanen has a chance to 'grow up' - to hopefully make amends - to potentially recover to the extent possible from hurting/injuring someone else, and by extension, himself in the process.  I hope he makes the most of his future, and starts by authentically redressing what he's done.

I remember hearing for years that is wasn't Virtanen's fault, including this year. that it was Green's fault for not using him on the 1st line or PK :rolleyes:

• Cheers 1

2 hours ago, RUPERTKBD said:

BTW, I kind of have to chuckle at how the Twins are being given credit for vritually every move the team makes now.....:rolleyes:

Has to be true... JB is such a hack, after all. ;)

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

14.5 mil in cap removed from the roster in 3 days.

Nk one can accuse him of not being aggressive…

Totally agree. I am not a fan of the front office crew but I think they are capable and will steer us back to where we fans want to be. I still maintain that no one forsaw L.E. falling off a cliff offensively the day after he signed his deal and the league is just WRONG on the Lou cap recapture penalty that was a legal deal prior to the league signing a new deal...totally terrible decision by the NHL Commish on that one. So for me, the last few days has been a good outcome to a bad situation. Now let us see how much Petey and the Bear cost us from next years cap and who we can add in FA. 

• Cheers 2