The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Trade] Canucks trade Nate Schmidt to Jets for 2022 3rd-round pick

1 minute ago, Phat Fingers said:

Think it is low value for d men atm, plus Schmidt really struggled in Vancouver and the chatter about wanting out dropped his value too.  Rental for a 3rd and sold for a 3rd.  

But 5.9 in cap… that’s not priceless… I have not checked in on the cdc… not sure how JB has spent or plans too spend so, the second act is yet to come.  

Has Schmidt really been the same player since the PED suspension?  Personally, I’m ecstatic he’s gone, and JB was able to dump all that contract.  

Reading that he hated his time in Vancouver, didn't want to play in Canada and maybe didn't get along with Green is sad considering his interview right after being traded here. Also makes the most likeable player in the league a lot less likeable. Shame.

18 minutes ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

Reading that he hated his time in Vancouver, didn't want to play in Canada and maybe didn't get along with Green is sad considering his interview right after being traded here. Also makes the most likeable player in the league a lot less likeable. Shame.

he sounded so happy on his post trade interview with us... maybe that was all an act? lol

I wonder what happened in that locker room for him to want out in less than a year... 

you could tell from his interview here that he didn't want to leave Vegas. Hs heart wasn't in it for us this season and that's the disappointing part. 

https://www.nhl.com/news/golden-knights-trade-nate-schmidt-to-canucks/c-319441516

he took this market for granted, I hope he enjoys Winnipeg.

• Cheers 1

A lot of people are making a mountain out of a molehill. He went from a winner to a mediocre team and sometimes it gets to you mentally. 

The team has traded him to another team and that's that.

It was short lived but wish him the very best except when they play is that is.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

6 hours ago, Bertuzzipunch said:

So glad hes gone.

29D8981B-D12E-4BF8-B501-A43DCB730559.jpeg

We want guys that want to “rock and roll”. I think we all know what that means. **sniff sniff**

Also didn’t he veto a trade there? What’s he talking about guys that wanna be there. Statsny had to beg him to come there.

• Vintage 1

On 7/28/2021 at 7:50 AM, EddieVedder said:

Still cant believe some of the jokers on this board actually thought this guy was a legit #2 and would help us. 

Hate to say i told you so, but i told you so.

Glad hes gone and i hope he enjoys his winters in the peg.

On 7/31/2021 at 1:01 AM, JesseBlue said:

A lot of people are making a mountain out of a molehill. He went from a winner to a mediocre team and sometimes it gets to you mentally. 

The team has traded him to another team and that's that.

It was short lived but wish him the very best except when they play is that is.

Less that and more going from more of a two way defenseman to getting most of the tough defensive assignments.  

58 minutes ago, NewbieCanuckFan said:

Less that and more going from more of a two way defenseman to getting most of the tough defensive assignments.  

maybe Nate is sour that his defensive liabilities got exposed a bit here?

4 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

maybe Nate is sour that his defensive liabilities got exposed a bit here?

That wasn't his specialty though so it's not surprising he'd get more exposed with that kind of tough minutes.  As would any defenseman who's not primarily a defensive defenseman imho.  Too bad Shaw wasn't here earlier.

Edited by NewbieCanuckFan
  • Vintage 1

1 hour ago, DeNiro said:

We want guys that want to “rock and roll”. I think we all know what that means. **sniff sniff**

Also didn’t he veto a trade there? What’s he talking about guys that wanna be there. Statsny had to beg him to come there.

Winnipeg, where the heart of rock and roll is still beating. 

• Haha 3

3 minutes ago, NewbieCanuckFan said:

That wasn't his specialty though so it's not surprising he'd get more exposed with that kind of tough minutes.  As would any defenseman who's not primarily a defensive defenseman imho.  Too bad Shaw wasn't here earlier.

well, it was still worth a shot for the cost of a recovered 3rd. I don't really care if he didn't like the city, etc. thats his right. I wouldn't live in Winnipeg so that makes us even. 

• Cheers 1

20 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

well, it was still worth a shot for the cost of a recovered 3rd. I don't really care if he didn't like the city, etc. thats his right. I wouldn't live in Winnipeg so that makes us even. 

Its the last line that pisses me off that he said. That hes looking for a team that wants to win and thinks hes on one now. Gimme a break nate u effin suck. 

5 minutes ago, Bertuzzipunch said:

Its the last line that pisses me off that he said. That hes looking for a team that wants to win and thinks hes on one now. Gimme a break nate u effin suck. 

Yeah that was a nice little parting shot that’ll make playing the Jets more fun. It’s so funny that he turned down the trade twice before deciding to go. Kind of like looking for the last girl in the bar at closing time and saying “Oh, what the hell…”  Enjoy Winnipeg Nate!

68246B32-792E-40FC-BBBA-71B332AE44A2.gif

• Cheers 1
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, Bertuzzipunch said:

I dunno, Nate seems like theres no filter betwwen his subconscious and his mouth. I wouldnt take it too serious. 

Edited by Jimmy McGill

11 hours ago, Bertuzzipunch said:

So glad hes gone.

29D8981B-D12E-4BF8-B501-A43DCB730559.jpeg

Guy has been a Jet for like 4 days and is already saying "WE want".

I'd bet he doesn't even know where the coffee machine and washrooms are, but feels ok saying what the team wants?

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Haha 1

Lets see if I understand.

Many people here wanted Schmidt gone and are glad he has been traded but are pissy that he pumped up his new team on the way out?

Despite the homer view of many, he is not wrong if he did make a parting shot about the Canucks not taking winning overly seriously last year. The team was chock full of passengers and underachievers. Edler, Beagle, Eriksson, Roussel, Sutter, any of the waiver garbage Benning thought should be top 6 players, etc. The coaching was sub par at best. The team played like a minor hockey team defensively. Scrubs were regularly in the top 6. 

The roster has certainly improved. Now its time for the coaching to as well. Playing favorites for guys like Sutter, Pearson, etc. needs to go. Young support guys need to be trusted much more. The team as a whole needs to learn to play team defense at an NHL level. 

There is still a ton of work to be done.

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

Glad Schmidt sounds excited about being in Winnipeg. He really got a raw deal with Vegas, and it's too bad things didn't work out better here. He's a much better player than most here seem to think he is. 

Wish Nate all the best in Winnipeg, and I think they'll actually do quite well next year.