The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Canucks sign Tucker Poolman

6 minutes ago, canuck73_3 said:

Or make up that you won the argument. You know, whatever works. 

Go back and read the post chain.

He said Canucks fans like to have whipping boys, then proceeded to list off Benning's terrible contracts that were bought out / cap dumps as if the fans are supposed to be thrilled with those deals.

There actually wasn't an argument to win. He dunked on himself with a ridiculous post lol.

• Cheers 4

1 hour ago, Jimmy McGill said:

I didn't actually single you out, you responded to something I posted to Vegas. 

I'm really happy with all the things Benning has accomplished, other than the dead cap for next season. Pretty much guarantees LTIR use for two years but given the quality of the F group now in particular thats palatable, and a strategy a lot of teams are going to use while the cap stays flat. 

On paper, the roster looks vastly improved - hopefully the team can have a healthy roster for most of the season and the coaching staff can deliver (?).

Let’s give the roster & staff this season to mesh and see what happens - this is not a video game with a reset button.

Edited by ShawnAntoski
  • Like 1
  • Vintage 2

Just now, ShawnAntoski said:

On paper, the roster looks vastly improved - hopefully the team can play a healthy roster for most of the season and the coaching staff can deliver (?).

I'm expecting a lot out of Shaw this year, that was a great addition. And I love that Ian Clark had a say in getting Halak. 

1 minute ago, kanucks25 said:

He said Canucks fans like to have whipping boys, then proceeded to list off Benning's terrible contracts that were bought out / cap dumps as if the fans are supposed to be thrilled with those deals.

There actually wasn't an argument to win. He dunked on himself with a ridiculous post lol.

what's ridiculous is that you don't see that having a need for a whipping boy is completely unrelated to whether or not a contract is good value. 

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

1 minute ago, tas said:

what's ridiculous is that you don't see that having a need for a whipping boy is completely unrelated to whether or not a contract is good value. 

It's usually one of the main catalysts.

• Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1

5 minutes ago, kanucks25 said:

Read the thread, you did not “win” any argument, I saw a lot of whining. 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1
  • RoughGame 1

I think one of the things that's frustrating people, maybe even moreso than the Poolman contract itself, is the fact that we're now in a scenario where we have to play Myers on our top pairing. Considering Myers underlying numbers and OEL's underlying numbers over the last couple of years, I don't see how that pairing can possibly hope to shut down opposing teams top lines and limit scoring chances.

Demko is going to be under siege. 

• Vintage 2

5 minutes ago, tas said:

3 minutes ago, awalk said:

It's usually one of the main catalysts.

Uh yeah, it matters. You think everyone would be bashing Eriksson for years and years if he was @ 1M instead of 6?

Don't you think there would be less consternation over Myers if he was signed @ 4 instead of 6?

I don't blame any player for taking more money than they are worth. It's not their job to save a GM from himself. It's on the GM to give out better contracts so that fans are happy with a player's cost vs. production.

• Cheers 3

Just now, 48MPHSlapShot said:

I think one of the things that's frustrating people, maybe even moreso than the Poolman contract itself, is the fact that we're now in a scenario where we have to play Myers on our top pairing. Considering Myers underlying numbers and OEL's underlying numbers over the last couple of years, I don't see how that pairing can possibly hope to shut down opposing teams top lines and limit scoring chances.

Demko is going to be under siege. 

Isn't that why the Canucks brought in Shaw?  To fix the defensive system?

Hopefully it's to be a bit more aggressive standing up at the blueline instead of letting them waltz in for a shot.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

4 minutes ago, canuck73_3 said:

Read the thread, you did not “win” any argument, I saw a lot of whining. 

Where am I whining? I'm just discussing the signing.

You equate a dissenting opinion to whining. :unsure:

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2

1 minute ago, kanucks25 said:

Where am I whining? I'm just discussing the signing.

You equate a dissenting opinion to whining. :unsure:

Your MO on here is whining about every move and acting like the smartest guy in the room. 

S*** all over the signing and how bad it is yet add, I’ll reserve judgement. How can you honestly say you’ll reserve judgement after already predicting the worst case scenario?

Then after all that declare yourself the winner of an argument few agree with. :lol:

• Cheers 1
  • Wat 1
  • Upvote 1
  • RoughGame 1

55 minutes ago, kanucks25 said:

Is Poolman not a depth player (bottom-half of lineup)?

Is this not a contract with "term" (mid-long?)

Has Benning not gotten into trouble in the past giving depth players term?

What did I say that was wrong? Or is it just that you are like many others here - the truth hurts your feelings?

Facts here are disregarded. Only incessant praise and pom pom waving is allowed. 

Edited by Silky mitts
  • Upvote 1
  • Huggy Bear 2
  • Vintage 1
  • RoughGame 1

5 minutes ago, BPA said:

Isn't that why the Canucks brought in Shaw?  To fix the defensive system?

Hopefully it's to be a bit more aggressive standing up at the blueline instead of letting them waltz in for a shot.

I would hope that helps, but OEL and Poolman weren't subject to Baumers poor running of the defensive structure and their underlying numbers weren't good either.

2 minutes ago, canuck73_3 said:

Your MO on here is whining about every move and acting like the smartest guy in the room. 

S*** all over the signing and how bad it is yet add, I’ll reserve judgement. How can you honestly say you’ll reserve judgement after already predicting the worst case scenario?

Then after all that declare yourself the winner of an argument few agree with. :lol:

Where did I "S" all over the signing? Where did I predict the worst case scenario? Please show me the quotes.

Really you're just making stuff up and arguing with yourself lol.

• Cheers 1
  • RoughGame 2

3 minutes ago, 48MPHSlapShot said:

I would hope that helps, but OEL and Poolman weren't subject to Baumers poor running of the defensive structure and their underlying numbers weren't good either.

We will have to wait and see. 

OEL played on a crap AZ team.  Poolman played above his targeted minutes.  I think they will do well in certain roles that they will now have with the Canucks.  But that's just my opinion/hope.

*fingers crossed*

:)