The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Who are your candidates for...

Rate this topic

DS4quality

Hi everyone I just wanted to try to move away from the Petey and Quinn discussion for a second and see who are your picks for:

1) Best defenseman- It doesn't have to be points related or maybe it does, but who you think will be the best defenseman and why?

2) Break out candidate- Who do you think is going to breakout this season and exceed expectations?

3) Bounce Back Candidate- Who is coming back this year from a down year or possibly couple years ?

4) Decline- Who is on the downward trajectory, maybe even just a year, but who is going to have a poor season or not perform up to par?

If I'm stepping on the pollsters foot just let me know and I can take this down, but I just wanted to have a little discussion a couple weeks before the season starts.

My picks are:

Best defenseman - Tyler Myers...boy we need this guy to be our best defenseman he has to be stable on the back end because I think this defense could be shakey. This will  be his third season here,  and now there's no excuses; he's big, fast, strong and has a mean streak he just needs  put it all together and be the 2/3 guy we signed. We've seen flashes in the bubble but nows his time.

Break out candidate- Jason Dickinson: I think he has the tools to be more offensive minded than he was in Dallas,  and I think he'll end up being a utility belt for this team, much the way Tyler Motte was a couple years ago.

Bounce Back Candidate- Brandon Sutter he's going to be used in his best roll and I think he's going to flourish on the 4th.  Honorable mention goes to OEL.

4) Decline- While I think the team will be better overall there's going to be some hiccups and I think that maybe, just maybe Höglander has a bit of a sophomore slump next year. He won't be playing as high in the line up and will probably get few pp minutes, I think he's going to have a little step back, but maybe through no fault of his own. I hope I'm wrong...

And as a bonus, my favorite Benning move this summer was signing Brad Shaw.

1 best D - OEL

2 break out season- Horat

3 bounce back season- OEL , Miller

4 decline year- hopefully nobody.. i got a good feeling about this lineup, I think wins and high energy play will hide slumping players. Slumpers will only be visible on stat sheets with dates. If the motor is there every night fans shouldn’t have too much to complain about. Media is a different story they want drama to sell.

Go Canucks Go

792FD82F-D622-4CF9-B7CE-5C9598FABD3A.gif

Edited by HockeyHarry
  • Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

Best D - OEL - He is going to prove to everyone that he is still a top pairing D in this league. Travis is going to get the best out of him. 

Breakout Candidate - Dickinson - Believe he is going to bring a strong defensive game that we lack. Will be used in all kinds of situations and his versatility will be huge.  HM - Podkolzin - I think he is going to take off, and produce more offence than expected

Bounce Back - Tanner Pearson - Obviously had a great first full season here with a career high 45PTS. But I thought last year he looked fatigued and looked like Hansen in the Ozone (stone hands/where offence goes to die) . Hoping he can get back to 20G 20A.  HM - Petey or Hughes - both players have chips on their shoulders for different reasons. Both have heard the negativity. 

Decline - No one since the whole team played terrible. Already hit the bottom only up from here. Agree maybe with Hoglander, but not because he's playing poorly. 

• Cheers 1

Okay I'll bite.
Best defenseman - Quinn Hughes (tough to not name him; with the improve depth of defensive D-men and the quality of forwards, I think they can just have him focus on his strengths, as the guy who keys the transition from defense to offense, compared to last season when he was overworked at times and tried to do too much; with a solid defensive partner, along with OEL for secondary offensive duties and hopefully OJ taking tough matchup duty, and more capable forwards throughout the lineup, the chances for a positive impact should be greater than last season)
HM: any of OEL/ Myers/ Hamonic (all 3 have potential if they can handle their role, and if they flourish in stabilizing their own end and also score some points, they could challenge Quinn for the title of best defenseman -- just like some had Schmidt last season as one of the best due to his all-around play after the rough start)

Breakout candidate - Vasily Podkolzin (the tools are all there -- size/ strength, shot, passing, drive to the net, defensive awareness; I wouldn't be surprised if he does end up on PP2 and can be effective on there due to his versatility)
HM: Jason Dickinson (after not having a 3rd line shutdown C for quite awhile, I think we'll appreciate as fans how much he can shoulder the brunt of the responsibility that was essentially miscast on Horvat -- if all goes well we could have a Malhotra (minus the faceoffs, for now) who also might have some offensive ability)

Bounce-back candidate - Tucker Poolman (at least stats wise, unless he scores zero points, and unless both he and his LHD partner forget how to play defense and get cratered, Poolman can probably improve from his 1-point season, and if he keeps his game simple, there's no reason why he shouldn't or can't just let any of Hughes/ OEL/ Rathbone/ Juolevi move the puck up ice while just being the rock on the back end; the season before he had 16 points in 57 games so his offense isn't non-existent plus there has to be a reason why he's a 17-18 minute defender).   
HM: Hughes (we know the scoring's there, but he just needs to not turn the puck over so much, and with the talented offensive group, and Shaw's system, I think he can have better +/- and make fewer eye-popping defensive mistakes)

Decline - Jaro Halak (with the pricey vets gone, I think he'd be a reasonable choice; most of the other players are on the upswing or prime of their careers, and while Hoglander may end up on 3rd line minutes, I think that's not a decline as much as a change in role e.g. focus on being more responsible and counter-punching which is important too)
DM (Dishonorable mention): OEL (I think there's a risk that previous systematic issues on our blueline still remain, and I think OEL is primed to take on Edler's role as the tough minutes LD; if things go rough in his own zone he could look pretty bad)

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1

Best D - Quinn Hughes - Not going off the board here.  I see a ppg player, that in itself puts him leaps ahead of the rest of the group. 

Breakout Candidate - Connor Garland - His trend says it all, should fit perfectly beside either Horvat or Petey.  

Bounce Back - Elias Pettersson - Rough year on ice and off.  I expect him to remind the league that he’s elite. 

Decline - Olli Juolevi - His skating technique holds him back, he is waived. Rathbone, Schenn, Hunt make the roster. 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

1) Best defenseman- It doesn't have to be points related or maybe it does, but who you think will be the best defenseman and why?

- Hughes. I know it's the "easy answer" and it's in vogue to vote against high scoring defensemen these days, but if Hughes can get to even close to his rookie form, he's by far our best defenseman IMO.

2) Break out candidate- Who do you think is going to breakout this season and exceed expectations?

Either Motte or Garland. I could see Garland scoring at 0.9 points-per-game (74 points in 82 games) if things go well, but I think a lot of fans are expecting quite a bit. I also think Motte has some untapped offensive upside and if he stays healthy, I could believe him getting around 35 points this year, with some significant 3rd line time and maybe spot duty on the top six when injuries inevitably hit.

3) Bounce Back Candidate- Who is coming back this year from a down year or possibly couple years ?

Two great options in our off-seasons acquisitions--OEL has had a rough 2 or 3 last years. Halak also struggled last year more than usual so he could bounce back as a strong backup this year.

4) Decline- Who is on the downward trajectory, maybe even just a year, but who is going to have a poor season or not perform up to par?

This is really just if I had to pick (I'm generally an optimist) and largely just based on gut feelings. For forward, I'd pick Miller. Say something like 0.7 points-per-game (57 points in 82 games) would be a down year for him. I could also see either Hamonic or Poolman struggling as the defensive defensemen on our team. I generally expect more positive things from these guys, but if I had to pick some, those are some options.

• Cheers 1

Best Dman: OEL- he re finds his form and actually enjoys hockey here due to the winning attitude

Break out: Horvat... Dickinson is here to play a 2 way game- add a shut down 4th line, with Poldkozin's 2 way game and Pearson . Hoglander Horvat Garland combine for a 80 goal campaign- in which Horvat scores 33G, 42 A.

Bounce Back: Hughes- plays better defensively and reminds everyone he is as good as the other young DMAN

Decline: Demko - not in the SV % or GAA, but in the sense he isn't the #1 goalie in terms of most opportunity shots saved- as a result of him not having to face tough shots and being in the offensive zone more.

• Thanks 1

Best dman-Tyler Myers: solid defense, but will quietly put up 30 points too

Breakout- Tucker Poolman: not in points, but truly a solid shutdown dman

Comeback-OEL: lost the passion for the game in Arizona, so he should get that mojo back.

Decline- Garland: small fish big pond now. 

Edited by c00kies
  • Thanks 1

1.  Best D.  Hughes.  Not right away but as the season goes he'll return to form and improve defensively.  He's the real deal and too good to carry on as he has been.

2.  Break out.  Rathbone.  What the heck are they going to do with 3 top 4 LHD's?

3.  Bounce back.  OEL.  It's no secret that OEL didn't see eye to eye with Rick Tocchet (head coach, Arizona 2017-2021).  Time to move on and now he'll be free to play like himself. 

4.  Decline.  Hoglander.  Although I don't see a true candidate for the decline category I think that Hogs is a candidate for a sophomore slump.  He'll get over it.

• Thanks 1

1. Best D - Hughes. He is the best defenceman on the team and needs to play like it. 

2. Breakout - Boeser. Think he gets close to 40 this year. Right in time for his next contract ;)

3. Bounce back - Miller. He's the straw that stirs the drink. Ala Kesler, a lot of team success will depend on him. 

4. Decline - Hamonic, OEL. I think Hammers gonna struggle this year, OEL might tread water but yikes that contract. 

• Cheers 1

1.  Best D.   OEL, guys too good for too long.   Won't put up the same points that QH does, partially because he won't run the first unit PP,  but he will run the second unit which won't be playing 20-30 seconds anymore, and take a lot of Edlers PK time too.   QHs also won't be breaking Lidsters team record this year but his game will also get an uptick and should also be a strong candidate.   Myers will keep doing his thing too.   

2/3 Breakout - EP....goes with number three as well, bounce back season.  HM Garland. 

4. Pearson.  Nice to have the depth, but could see Hogs move to the left side and take his spot.   Showed promise after he was signed but think we will see more of the same overall, Dickinson isn't a scoring C and our third line won't produce that many points unless we run EP/Horvat/Miller ...  really tough one actually.   Maybe Myers but i doubt it.   

• Cheers 1

22 hours ago, DS4quality said:

Hi everyone I just wanted to try to move away from the Petey and Quinn discussion for a second and see who are your picks for:

If I'm stepping on the pollsters foot just let me know and I can take this down, but I just wanted to have a little discussion a couple weeks before the season starts.

My picks are:

Best defenseman - Tyler Myers...boy we need this guy to be our best defenseman he has to be stable on the back end because I think this defense could be shakey. This will  be his third season here,  and now there's no excuses; he's big, fast, strong and has a mean streak he just needs  put it all together and be the 2/3 guy we signed. We've seen flashes in the bubble but nows his time.

Break out candidate- Jason Dickinson: I think he has the tools to be more offensive minded than he was in Dallas,  and I think he'll end up being a utility belt for this team, much the way Tyler Motte was a couple years ago.

Bounce Back Candidate- Brandon Sutter he's going to be used in his best roll and I think he's going to flourish on the 4th.  Honorable mention goes to OEL.

4) Decline- While I think the team will be better overall there's going to be some hiccups and I think that maybe, just maybe Höglander has a bit of a sophomore slump next year. He won't be playing as high in the line up and will probably get few pp minutes, I think he's going to have a little step back, but maybe through no fault of his own. I hope I'm wrong...

And as a bonus, my favorite Benning move this summer was signing Brad Shaw.

1) OEL.  I think he will have a very strong year due to newfound motivation.

2) Hoglander = breakout

3) Hughes = bounce back

4). Pearson with an offensive decline but will still be solid defensively.

• Cheers 1

1)Best D-  An odd choice, but I'm going to go with Hamonic. I think there's a good chance that he ends up being the unsung hero of the team this year, and definitely the D I trust most to defend at a high level.

2) Breakout candidate- Rathbone. Assuming he makes the team, I see big things in Rathbone's future. If he can produce at the level I think he can and play a more reliable defensive game than Hughes, I could see him making Hughes a moveable piece.

Alternate choice- Hoglander. I don't see a sophomore slump in Hoglander's future. Assuming he gets to start the season in the top 6, he'll be playing in his natural LW position full time, and should feel more confident trying out some of his more colorful moves this time around.

3) Bounceback year- Either Hughes or Poolman. I don't think Hughes +/- will be great, but it'd be difficult for him to be worse than last year. If nothing else, Green should know to keep him away from Myers. I think Poolman will be a bit better than people think too. He was apparently hit pretty hard by covid, so assuming that doesn't happen again I think he'll be fine.

4) Decline- Pearson. Kind of a cheat, since he already started declining last year, but with Hoglander taking his spot on Horvat's LW, I don't see him hitting a .5 ppg again. Should still be defensively solid and able to chip in from the bottom 6 though.

Alternate choice- Pettersson (Please don't hate me). Considering that Petey will most likely miss at least a good chunk of camp, is coming off of an injury that directly affects his shot, hasn't taken any significant strides since his rookie season, and won't be playing for a contract, I could see Petey regressing this season. 

• Cheers 1