The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Elias Pettersson | Quinn Hughes - Contract Discussion Thread

Rate this topic

Bertuzzipunch

1 hour ago, Provost said:

Hughes can’t be given an offer sheet… 

After Dec. 1st an unsigned RFA can’t sign an SPC for the year so teams can’t give an offer sheet after about Nov. 24th (as the team that owns the rights could just run out their 7 day clock past the deadline)  This came up when Turris was holding out.

That leaves us able to spend the cap at the deadline as I mentioned.

We are in a really weak division and should be able to hang out around the playoff bubble with or without those players.  Then we would have enough banked cap space to trade for anyone we wanted to push us into a playoff run.

lol you are spending to the cap at the deadline when the team is out of the playoff? what are you planning to use to trade? we have no prospect of note left. you going to continue dumping ur 1st round picks? or you plan on trading EP and QH for rentals? 

sure our divison is weak. Canucks are part of the weak teams in that division. we finished below calgary edmonton arizona vegas in terms of points and barely finished ahead of LA San Jose. the players we added and then losing EP and QH doesn't make your team better than last year. so you going to take ur chance hovering at our below the playoff bar and then going all in at the trading deadline and pray you make the playoff? lol. so i guess the objective is to make the playoff and get eliminated while dumping all assets for rental?

6 hours ago, HomeBrew said:

Just like when Marc Staal left the New York Rangers to join his two brothers in Carolina... 

I think you meant three brothers, Jared was apart of that organization as well and actually suited up along side Eric and Jordan, one game.

Marc was never made available for the Hurricanes. He signed an extension after his RFA years. I mean, they could have traded for him, but I doubt the Rangers were shopping him at that time. 

Edited by shiznak

12 hours ago, King Heffy said:

That would be a huge pay cut if they play in Europe.  It's in both their interests to sign something reasonable.  If they refuse, there are consequences.

No doubt.   Not only do they lose a year of career earnings, EP or QHs risk injuries that could further derail things for them.    Not to mention i'm sure they'd like to play in the Olympics, best way to do that is sign and play.  Because  without a contract to insure ... well it's just smart business for them to be in the lineup opening night, especially QHs.    JB let him burn a year, the flip side is zero rights.    Also i really don't think JB main metric in running the club is about losing his job.   More about butts in seats and letting his boss get a chance to see a cup.   

6 hours ago, RWMc1 said:

Incorrect. Quinn had a verbal agreement with Gretzky to sign in the morning Stan McCammon insisted that he sign that evening. That one's on McCammon.

I'm glad that this disinformation keeps getting squashed quickly.   However the poster your squashing is already aware of this.   Just likes to stir the pot.. 

As an aside - WG book had a chapter about this ... he was genuinely excited.  Couldn't wait to play with Bure, Gelinas, , McLean, Linden et al.   Imagine Bure would have another 80 goals and maybe wouldn't have left either.   Still with Mogilny ... well WG would have won more cups.  

Edited by IBatch
  • Cheers 1
  • Vintage 2

6 hours ago, RWMc1 said:

Incorrect. Quinn had a verbal agreement with Gretzky to sign in the morning Stan McCammon insisted that he sign that evening. That one's on McCammon.

Ahhh got it. Good to know!!

I read somewhere that Quinn kept calling Gretzky and demanding him to sign that moment when Gretzky said he will sign at x time. 

his jersey was made as well.    

10 minutes ago, IBatch said:

I'm glad that this disinformation keeps getting squashed quickly.   However the poster your squashing is already aware of this.   Just likes to stir the pot.. 

As an aside - WG book had a chapter about this ... he was genuinely excited.  Couldn't wait to play with Bure, Gelinas, , McLean, Linden et al.   Imagine Bure would have another 80 goals and maybe wouldn't have left either.   Still with Mogilny ... well WG would have won more cups.  

Lol I honestly didn’t know about mccammon involvement 

• Cheers 1

8x8 for Brady tkachuk is the rumour.

Age  21  198gp   125pts

Drafted 4th 
Also on one of the leagues worst teams. 

EP is a better player 

Age 22 165gp  153pts   

almost a point per game on one of the leagues worst teams 
drafted 5th 

calder winner 

From what I’ve read 24 year old  Mitch marner is being used as the main comparison 

$750,000 and a signing bonus of $9,608,000, while carrying a cap hit of $10,903,000

Ep is a 8.5-10 mill in today’s market for 8 years.

• Wat 1

7 hours ago, D-Money said:

The last 2 big RFA deals Benning signed - Boeser and Horvat - both dragged into camp. They both ended up solid deals for the team. Don’t expect this to turn out differently.

I agree.

While some past UFA contracts have been suspect, RFA signings have been alright, Virtanen excluded.

Let's keep that trend going.

1 hour ago, combover said:

Age  21  198gp   125pts

Drafted 4th 

EP is a better player 

Age 22 165gp  153pts   

drafted 5th 

calder winner 

From what I’ve read 24 year old  Mitch marner is being used as the main comparison 

$750,000 and a signing bonus of $9,608,000, while carrying a cap hit of $10,903,000

Because 1 Gm jumps off a bridge.......... ?

Tell agent, good luck signing your player with the Leafs and then give 5 other comparables and mentioning the player he represents of uncertainty of his injury his RFA status (no offer sheets) and that he already stated he wants to be on a winner and has to weigh what is most important to him then

Maxing out and playing for mediocre teams or taking very fair offer with a chance to win?

I think the agents ego is the problem and does not want to accept taking less, because he wants to be known as the guy who gets these guys the big bucks and build a reputation for it (Not about the team or player winning) In a cap world, money does not always buy happiness (i,e.Eichel)

• Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1

12 hours ago, wai_lai416 said:

lol you are spending to the cap at the deadline when the team is out of the playoff? what are you planning to use to trade? we have no prospect of note left. you going to continue dumping ur 1st round picks? or you plan on trading EP and QH for rentals? 

sure our divison is weak. Canucks are part of the weak teams in that division. we finished below calgary edmonton arizona vegas in terms of points and barely finished ahead of LA San Jose. the players we added and then losing EP and QH doesn't make your team better than last year. so you going to take ur chance hovering at our below the playoff bar and then going all in at the trading deadline and pray you make the playoff? lol. so i guess the objective is to make the playoff and get eliminated while dumping all assets for rental?

So, you're saying that just because we finished below other teams last year, that it's impossible to improve because they changed the whole structure of the team, plus our prospects are a year older and better?

I think you're holding onto past performance too much. Unless we get hammered by injuries, on paper, this is a playoff team.

• Cheers 1

2 hours ago, combover said:

Age  21  198gp   125pts

Drafted 4th 

EP is a better player 

Age 22 165gp  153pts   

drafted 5th 

calder winner 

Although I agree that they are probably trying to use Marner as an example, it's not relevant as Marner is overpaid and was signed during a constantly increasing cap. Right now, Pettersson is a 8 - 8.5 million 2 - 3 year bridge and Hughes is a 6.5 million 2 - 3 year bridge.

Neither player had good years last year, even before the injury, Pettersson was struggling. 

Personally, I'd be much happier with both of them on bridge deals until we see if they can maintain performance, year after year. Pettersson is more defensively developed than Hughes, and I don't believe that either Makar or Heiskanen are fair comparable as both of those players are playing a more rounded game than Hughes, based on last season.

My thoughts on this situation:

Hughes: Sign him to a bridge deal 3 years 18m. Salary year 1 3.5m, year 2 5.5m, year 3 9m = 6m cap hit, can do big signing bonus low salary. Leaves a nice qualifying offer # for him still in my opinion. Reason for short term deal with him is: see if he improves defensively AND possibly gives us the potential to sign BC boy Morgan Rielly as a UFA...Depends on his demands, but is he more refined defensively? I know he is older but, if we could scoop him up next off season it would allow us to trade Hughes to NJ at some point for a nice haul...would take some big balls to trade him, but if we had Rielly it might make sense? A 7yr deal for Rielly would take him to age 34, which isn't young but isn't late 30s either. Or keep Hughes and Rielly and have a solid group of lefties, might be hard to due but cap should go up big time in a few years.

Leon is the BEST comparable long term for Petey imo:

Leon:                                                               Petey:

2015/16 72gp 51pts                                        2018/19 71gp 66pts

2016/17 82gp 77 pts                                       2019/20 68gp 66pts

2017/18 78gp 70 pts                                       2020/21 26gp 21pts

Avg. PPG = 0.85                                             Avg. PPG= 0.92

EP40 has a better PPG average compared to Leon on their ELC. Leon has been more durable and without looking up the % I assume a better faceoff man, since JT takes most of the draws playing with Petey. 

Leon signed his deal pre flat cap, not that it makes much of a difference when going 8yrs in term. Add some inflation on the deal and personally I think EP40 on a 8yr deal is within 500k-1m more than Leon. 

So an 8yr deal for EP should have a cap hit of around 9-9.5m in my opinion. 9m for Petey and 6m for Hughes should allow us to fit under the cap this year, especially if we start the year with a smaller roster...which should be easily doable now that our farm team is in Abbotsford for much easier call ups.

Thoughts???

Petey also could be using the Eichel contract as a comparable of 10m cap hit over what 5 or 6 years?? My above post would be Petey getting paid long term but maybe giving the team a bit of a break to allow them to retain other key players and or use that 1m or so to improve via trade or FA signing down the line