The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

The Official Travis Green Thread to end all Travis Green Threads

Rate this topic

RU SERIOUS

5 hours ago, Mike Vanderhoek said:

:picard:

Have we paid attention the past several years here in Vancouver ? the amount of crap that has gone on and the multiple endorsements by ownership in these two individuals, the time is now and beyond to see the team produce for sure. But again we are 8 games into the season, the team plays in a weak division and they have not been tire fire terrible........I don't foresee either getting fired in the next couple of seasons so......

Fair point. It's not tire fire bad like some are making it out to be. But after watching a few games , it really looks like one dimensional hockey. The same dump and chase play over and over for games on end. 

The thing is , I think this is how Benning wants them to play. If a Benning was a coach , that's how they'd play. He reminds me of the Sutter brothers 

59 minutes ago, NewbieCanuckFan said:

Most of the candidates worth hiring are already working (obviously since the season has already started).  I'm not sure recycling old coaches is the way to go either (granted, neither is a rookie NHL head coach imho).

Yeah that is my concern as well. I wouldn't want to rush a coaching change just to end up with someone else who isn't the right fit. 

I suppose having Shaw step up temporarily would give them some time to search.  

• Cheers 1

9 hours ago, alucard said:

Bruce Boudreau? Babcock?

Babcock is a maybe. Boudreau seems to always under achieve despite coaching good teams. 

What about John Stevens ? Wasn't he the heir apparent of Daryl Sutter for the LA Kings. I remember back in 2013 a lot of teams really wanted him. 

There's also Bob Hartley. He's won the Stanley Cup and won the Gragarian Cup this year. I was watching a game of the KHL Finals, of which Hartley was one of the coaches, and both teams played a really fast paced pretty high tempo hockey. Something Canucks need now.

Guy Boucher took 2 teams to miracle runs in the playoffs so he knows how to get the job done with what he is given. 

29 minutes ago, combover said:

Some good NHL coaches available 
with a history of Winning not excuses. 

So whom exactly?  Torts?  Babcock?  Hitchcock must be unable to do it physically by now.    Went through to list ... i'm not sure who you'd consider outside of those guys that don't have current ties to other teams, or have been out of the game for awhile. 

I want Green gone. I like what a previous poster said about who to hire though? Been a fan forever and historically this team has always done better under established coaches. Another rookie doesn't fit the bill here. I don't really see a replacement out ther at the moment. Maybe can Green and Baumer and go with Shaw and his choice of D coach. Green just hasn't been working out for awhile now. Goaltending has masked his shortcomings.

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

1 hour ago, DeNiro said:

Notice how every season Greens go to defensive guys get injured…

Injuries are already piling up this season with Dickinson, Dowling, Highmore, and Poolman and we’re only 8 games in.

Thats what happens when you constantly let the other team dictate the play and are going back into your own end to get the puck twice as often.

We give up our zone sooo easily. Never an issue transitioning into our zone. 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Vintage 2

45 minutes ago, iinatcc said:

Babcock is a maybe. Boudreau seems to always under achieve despite coaching good teams. 

What about John Stevens ? Wasn't he the heir apparent of Daryl Sutter for the LA Kings. I remember back in 2013 a lot of teams really wanted him. 

There's also Bob Hartley. He's won the Stanley Cup and won the Gragarian Cup this year. I was watching a game of the KHL Finals, of which Hartley was one of the coaches, and both teams played a really fast paced pretty high tempo hockey. Something Canucks need now.

Guy Boucher took 2 teams to miracle runs in the playoffs so he knows how to get the job done with what he is given. 

I think Guy Boucher would be high risk but highest upside. His style reminds me of Alain Vignault. He will trap/rope-a-dope if that's what he has to do to win.

Wiki

On May 8, 2016, Boucher signed a three-year contract to become the head coach of the Ottawa Senators.[8] With his hire, Boucher is the first person to coach both franchises from the 1992 expansion class. In his first season, the club advanced to the Eastern Conference Final, losing in double overtime in game seven to the Pittsburgh Penguins. In his second season, the team's performance nose-dived and it placed 30th out of 31 teams in the NHL. On March 1, 2019, with the Senators in 31st place, Boucher was fired and associate coach Marc Crawford named as interim head coach.

If Bob Hartly has been staying sharp in the K then I'd have him on a short list.

• Cheers 1

38 minutes ago, IBatch said:

So whom exactly?  Torts?  Babcock?  Hitchcock must be unable to do it physically by now.    Went through to list ... i'm not sure who you'd consider outside of those guys that don't have current ties to other teams, or have been out of the game for awhile. 

Crow Hartley Boudreau to name some off the first page. 

all huge improvements over green 

proven at building and winning getting the most out not only veterans but young players to. 
the rookie coach experiment had been tried twice and twice we’ve gotten a coach that loves plugs that fill no real roll aside from place holder. This team should be past the “ place holder” players yet here we are with 4-5 on the team. 

torts Hitchcock Babcock aren’t options all are past their best before date. 

greens coaching style is like watching a  kid try to force a square peg in the round hole. 
and then after he’s done say I tried really hard and I’ll try to do it again tomorrow. everyday. 

Edited by combover

For a short term 1-2 yrs- Ted Nolan.

He has won, with dubious teams; issue is he gets in trouble with the people higher up the organization than himself.

However that may have changed, he is older and perhaps a bit easier to get along with.

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

10 minutes ago, gurn said:

For a short term 1-2 yrs- Ted Nolan.

He has won, with dubious teams; issue is he gets in trouble with the people higher up the organization than himself.

However that may have changed, he is older and perhaps a bit easier to get along with.

That's a blast from the past eh? 

I dunno how he would do in the modern NHL. 

I feel like there was less structure when he used to coach but I am also talking out of my butt so who knows

• Haha 1