The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

The Official Travis Green Thread to end all Travis Green Threads

Rate this topic

RU SERIOUS

This is a strange team.

On paper we have a lot of pieces that when you list them off, you'd think they'd make a good group.

But when you write out the lineup, there are big holes and in general it's an uneven composition.

I think so far, we have the record we deserve (about .500). A few of our key top forwards haven't shown up yet, but we've also had pretty good goaltending (about .920 overall) for a team that is below average at defending.

We've lost a few close games. On one hand, Pettersson playing just average instead of awful could mean 1-2 more wins. On the other hand, goaltending has kept those games close. So you've got to pick your poison.

All that said, this team is simply not performing up to expectations and it shows in the record and the underlying stats. It's still early enough for them to turn it around, of course, but if we're still stuttering around the 20-25 game mark, they have to try a coaching change to spark the team.

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 2

It's all the above. To see Boeser miss the targets constantly and bumped by a 4th liner on the PP (who signed a 1 year deal on a lackluster PTO)? Then bench Podz when his other bottom 6 depth does nothing anyways (Highmore? what does he do? Dowling?). Play the guy and grow him into a top 6 or 9 slot (or hey put him in the front of the goalie on the PP2 setup?).

The team could NOT start slow like this after one of the worst debacle year last season - they had a full training camp, and they look slow, lost and lack any creativity (Philly on the PP used set plays and the advantage of the boards to make passes...even scored on one doing just that). They all stand around passively and can't make complete passes tape to tape. Watch Petey play, and he is checked out if not falling/gliding around in cement boots - is he more than showing he's unhappy?

• Cheers 1

We all agree that our power play is terrible.  They are playing like table top hockey players, stuck in one area of the ice.  So predictable and easy to defend against.  Watch Edmonton, Philly, Tampa.  Their pp players are continually moving, changing position to confuse the defense, etc.  It can't be that hard??  Or with Green maybe it is.

11 hours ago, RU SERIOUS said:

I realize that many wanted to see green Terminated before this season started, to allow our young core and new players to be off to a fresh start, but he's back and unfortunately we're seeing the continuation of the results we've seen for many, many years under him.   

Do you think the Players Have Tuned Him Out  - or - are Playing to Get Him Fired - or - are they legitimatly trying to win, yet the systems that green has taught are just Endlessly Failing?

No, the team is 8 games into the season, was unaware that translated into " endlessly failing systems " and players playing to have him fired.

The team is a very good head coach, they upgraded their defense by bringing in Brad Shaw, I would even argue the players are still fine tuning the changes Shaw has brought in. The Power Play was the big thing fans crapped on the past few years, it has also seen different personal at the coaching level brought in to adjust that as well.

I would assume time will as always tell and we should start seeing the team turn the corner soon. Green is a very good coach and while some may not like that he tinkers or maybe someone sits on the bench longer than you'd like but that happens everywhere around the league so not anything specific to Green and his systems here.

• Like 1
  • Wat 1

I have a feeling this is going to get locked. There are a lot of other threads right now speaking to essentially the same thing. This one has a poll though, so it might make it. 

If firing is in the future of people in the Canucks organization, it will be both. Benning is on his 7th year. Plenty of GMs that have a better record don't last that long. Green will be canned for his record as well. If Trotz can be fired after getting the Captials their first Stanley Cup, than Green can be fired for being an average coach who has lost the room.

• Cheers 1

The Canucks were the worst team last year allowing scoring chances off the rush 

I see a team trying to play better defensively and it’s making them hesitant to take chances and push the play 

So right now they are transitioning systems and we’re seeing the growing pains 

• Like 1

:picard:

Have we paid attention the past several years here in Vancouver ? the amount of crap that has gone on and the multiple endorsements by ownership in these two individuals, the time is now and beyond to see the team produce for sure. But again we are 8 games into the season, the team plays in a weak division and they have not been tire fire terrible........I don't foresee either getting fired in the next couple of seasons so......

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 2

2 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

I have a feeling this is going to get locked. There are a lot of other threads right now speaking to essentially the same thing. This one has a poll though, so it might make it. 

If firing is in the future of people in the Canucks organization, it will be both. Benning is on his 7th year. Plenty of GMs that have a better record don't last that long. Green will be canned for his record as well. If Trotz can be fired after getting the Captials their first Stanley Cup, than Green can be fired for being an average coach who has lost the room.

Trotz was not fired though, he chose a different path and different dollars then he could have taken to remain in Washington, he was set on leaving the team.

Green has shown an average production a the NHL level, I would argue he has squeezed a lot out of some players and it bears repeating for the people in the back of the room, its 8 games in to the season, the room has not been lost lol.

• Vintage 1

3 minutes ago, billabong said:

The Canucks were the worst team last year allowing scoring chances off the rush 

I see a team trying to play better defensively and it’s making them hesitant to take chances and push the play 

So right now they are transitioning systems and we’re seeing the growing pains 

The defense is playing with more bite and presence which is a definite influence on Shaw. OEL is looking rejuvenated, and with Garland is a steal compared to what went the other way. There is a disconnect though. The team comes out way too flat, which I can't see being attributed to a change in systems. They don't look engaged.