The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Waivers] Michael Dal Colle

2 hours ago, Drakrami said:

The list is so bloody obvious it'd be an insult to your intellect if I had to write it out for you. 

A lot of it depends on your definition of great.

2013: Mackinnon, Barkov, Drouin,  Jones, Lindholm. 2 great, 3 good

2014: Ekblad,  Reinhardt, Draisaitl, Bennett, Dal Colle. 1 great, 3 good, 1 bust.

2015: McDavid,  Eichel, Strome, Marner, Hanifin. 3 great, 1 good, 1 ok.

2016: Matthews, Laine, Dubois, Puljujarvi, Juolevi. 1 great, 3 good, 1 bust.

2017: Hischier, Patrick, Heiskanen, Makar, Pettersson. 3 great, 1 good, 1 ok.

I think 2018 and beyond are too recent to call, so looking at those years we have 25 picks, and by my subjective definition, 10 great players. So basically only a 40 percent chance of landing a truly great player. Interesting though that during those 5 years only Juolevi and Dal Colle are what I'd consider outright busts. Fair to say, picking top 5 and not at least getting some level of contribution is rare and more or less unforgivable.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

18 minutes ago, ‹(•¿•)› said:

2014: Ekblad,  Reinhardt, Draisaitl, Bennett, Dal Colle. 1 great, 3 good, 1 bust.

I think 2018 and beyond are too recent to call, so looking at those years we have 25 picks, and by my subjective definition, 10 great players. So basically only a 40 percent chance of landing a truly great player. Interesting though that during those 5 years only Juolevi and Dal Colle are what I'd consider outright busts. Fair to say, picking top 5 and not at least getting some level of contribution is rare and more or less unforgivable.

In the context that we are having Dal Colle, Juolevi, Virtanen in the conversation, anyone playing 2nd line and above is great. By the way, your list is really conservative. Jones, Ekblad, Laine, Dubois are great players. 

43 minutes ago, ‹(•¿•)› said:

this is the key point and everything else is more or less nit picking over what is 'good' and what is 'great' which sounds long conversation.

33 minutes ago, Drakrami said:

In the context that we are having Dal Colle, Juolevi, Virtanen in the conversation, anyone playing 2nd line and above is great. By the way, your list is really conservative. Jones, Ekblad, Laine, Dubois are great players. 

I dunno, I put Laine and Dubois a tier below Matthews, and Jones and Ekblad a tier below Makar, but it's subjective for sure.

1 hour ago, ‹(•¿•)› said:

Who are you not forgiving?

The player, after knee, back and hip surgeries or management, who were first unable to foresee these debilitating injuries and then failed to insure that the player recover from these serious medical procedures?

1 hour ago, ‹(•¿•)› said:

Is Puljujarvi a bust?  :bigblush:

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

Dal Colle and Juolevi, Virtanen. 

To be fair, there's more players not making the NHL after being draft than there are players who not only make it, but contribute to their teams at a significant level. 

Juolevi, I'd consider a bust for the Canucks. Doesn't mean he can't resurrect his career with the Panthers. Only time will tell if he's an actual NHL worthy player. Some players need a change of scenery to help their careers. In this case, it could help Juolevi as a Panther and Juulsen as now a Canuck. 

• Cheers 1

He's a project worth investing in. Sure he hasn't scored as much as people though but he's only 25 and some centers bloom much later. He's a big body too.

Does he out-play anyone on our roster? Hard to say right now, and Lamikko looks pretty solid defensively, but if we can somehow claim him, sit him in the press box and slowly try to develop him, I'd give him a go. Could be a great 3rd line center in the future for us or even 4C depending on how well Dickinson pans out.

12 hours ago, Devron44 said:

Clears. People complain about Joulevi and JV picks. Happens all the time to every team. Why people think we are special I’ll never know lol

Winning makes a big difference something the Islanders have been doing recently and something the Canucks only had a sniff of during Benning's tenure 

• Cheers 1

3 hours ago, iinatcc said:

Winning makes a big difference something the Islanders have been doing recently and something the Canucks only had a sniff of during Benning's tenure 

Absolutely, but winning the cup is the goal and you have to build for that. Most teams don't win much when they are rebuilding their core. And no team hits on every pick (even the high 1st rounders)

NYI essentially rebuilt during the 2007-2014 seasons (and did a lot of losing during that period). They were then a middling team for 4 seasons and have only become a contender for the last 3 seasons 2018, 2019, 2020. First round picks that busted for NYI during their rebuild were Reinhart (#4 overall), Dal Colle (#5) and Ho Sang (#28).

VAN have arguably been rebuilding our core from 2013-2018 and have been losing a lot. First round pick busts for VAN in that rebuild period were Virtanen (#6) and Juolevi (#5). We should be entering the middling stages as our core develops now (one good season in 2019, one bad season in 2020 so far).

1 minute ago, BigTramFan said:

Absolutely, but winning the cup is the goal and you have to build for that. Most teams don't win much when they are rebuilding their core. And no team hits on every pick (even the high 1st rounders)

NYI essentially rebuilt during the 2007-2014 seasons (and did a lot of losing during that period). They were then a middling team for 4 seasons and have only become a contender for the last 3 seasons 2018, 2019, 2020. First round picks that busted for NYI during their rebuild were Reinhart (#4 overall), Dal Colle (#5) and Ho Sang (#28).

Islanders also got lucky that one of their 1st round picks Josh Bailey seemed to be peaking around the period when the Islanders started to become competitive despite being drafted in 2008. So one of their older player "blooming late" help alleviate some questionable drafting by the Islanders.

Something tells me McCann could have been that player for the Canucks since his best days seems to be ahead of him.  

14 hours ago, Alflives said:

Maybe your definition of great is different than everyone else’s?

post this list of great players that come from the top five in the drafts since 2013.  Lets see if it’s “most of those picks” are great players.  It’s your suggestion, so present the evidence.  Should be 24 out of 45 great players, right?  Let’s have your list.  

You only really need to know one name and that is Elias Pettersson. 

Also one of the greatest players to ever play ice hockey and he is still playing at 49 

Jaromir Jagr was the number 5 pick in 1990. 

On 10/11/2021 at 11:18 AM, Devron44 said:

Clears. People complain about Joulevi and JV picks. Happens all the time to every team. Why people think we are special I’ll never know lol

Wait, are you saying that Benning is also responsible for this pick/prospect not working out?

regards,  G.

• Haha 1
  • RoughGame 1