The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[GDT] Canucks VS Ducks | November 9th, 7pm

Rate this topic

MattJVD

3 minutes ago, wildwood12 said:

I agree. How good is the 9th overall pick Dylan Guenther we gave up going to be?

Well he had 12+12=24 in 12 games last year in the WHL with a +19.  This year he so far has 6+8=14 in 13 games this year with only a +4.  Seems like a bit of regression, but I have no idea I don’t watch him play.

47 minutes ago, Boudrias said:

Is there anyone on the Canuck roster that this guy doesn’t make a better player?

According to some Nuck fans, the answer is Dickinson.

Regarding JD, I believe he was mostly played as a winger in Dallas and was very effective in that role.  Right now, he not only has to adjust to a new team/systems, he also has needs to develop his 3C abilities alongside rotating teammates.  It would be great if he could play the wing, but the team doesn't have that kind of depth.

16 minutes ago, #Canucks said:

But would the Canucks have drafted Dylan?

Doubt it.  Not with a big, honking Centre like Cole Sillinger still available.  I don't know what AZ were thinking (Geunther), but CS would sure look good as a prospect for Vancouver.  :gocan:

Can't predict the future, but right now, Garland and OEL are sure looking like great additions to the team.

• Like 1
  • Vintage 1

Another night, another game. Hopefully last game was a homecoming for the Lotto line. They really put it together last game. Would be nice to see more magic from dynamic young duo of Podz and Hogz. Maybe get Huggy Bear into the thick of things again as well. Let’s continue to see some Demko hi lite reels. GCG!

• Cheers 1
  • Huggy Bear 1

2 hours ago, CanucksJay said:

The trade was pretty polarizing. 

Ppl either loved it or hated it. 

So far so good. I was a fan. If OEL can give us at least 4 good years, this trade is a home run. 

OEL has been excellent. It's a short sample size but if you take Hughes out of the equation, he's the best dman we've had since Sami Salo. All due respect to Eddy who was a stud, but he just aged out years ago.  

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

15 minutes ago, Gawdzukes said:

This is pretty pathetic and unfortunately representative of a fair number of casual hockey fans. How about giving the guy a chance to get acclimated before throwing him under the bus? Has he been the guy directly responsible for the PK? Not from anything I've seen. So we're going to throw a guy like Chase Wouters in who has never scored a pro goal (9 games) in his life, or a 190lb Di Giuseppe, LW, at Center to fix this? Absolutely Ridiculous!

And then you got this clown Williams throwing out the stat list. Just two days ago Petterson, Podkolzin, and Hoglander had fairly mundane stats. Should we look for replacements there too? I get he hasn't looked spectacular but let's be realistic. He's a third line/fourth line guy we just invested $10m in for 3 years, his best year was 9 goals and 22 points, and we knew this before hand. We also knew that he didn't play Center predominantly and wasn't strong on the dot so this was a work in progress. Let's also remember the revolving door of line mates he's had, and the fact he was brought in solely as a defence first player who makes teams hard to play against. Of course there is no stats to quantify that, and Mr. Williams also just leaves out the fact he is +1 in that role.

I get that it's an area of concern and that can be expressed but this is a classic example of jumping down a players neck for no good reason. Way to early. Maybe someone puts in more face-off work or Sutter comes back and centers the third line but he's not going anywhere. As someone mentioned it sometimes takes players a whole year to mesh with a new team. Hockey fans should understand this. And no, Mac or Gadj, would not have brought anymore scoring, face-off prowess, 5v5, or PK ability.

Weak Hairy ... Very weak! Give the kid a chance. ^_^

They’re not wrong imo.

Dickinson has been a huge bust so far.  He is both offensively and defensively inferior to Brandon Sutter, and defensively inferior to Jay Beagle.  Beagle and Sutter could win face offs and kill penalties.

• Thanks 1

Big game in the scheme of things to get on a bit of a winning streak, we can't keep below .500 and wait for a streak to happen later in the year. As long as we're buzzing around or over .500 hockey, we've always got a chance in this weak division, and these inter-divisional games are huge. When you look at the standings, there's about 4 teams already that have just about written off their season (Sens, Habs, Blackhawks and Coyotes - don't see any of them digging out of .300 hockey). There's still a big middle-pack this season with lots of teams hovering around .400-.600 hockey and we need to edge ourselves up higher. The middle pack will separate as the season goes on but this is a bigger game than most, good opportunity to bring the Ducks back down to where they belong a bit too. I hope the coaches and players are hyped for this and we don't get another empty performance after a big win...

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, JM_ said:

chinese food zhong guo cai GIF by China

As Hairy was whipping on JD Chiasson joined him under the bus then Jimmy's dish lost me for a bit:) 

2 hours ago, Ajax- said:

de boned Turkey?

BBQ DUCK!!!

1 hour ago, Edge_Case said:

image.thumb.jpeg.ed84a8b07d4f73f9b58f9eb415aeffd3.jpeg

Winner winner...duck l'orange (county).   Big dislike for Getzlav:angry: and his flock. Bring out the guns tonight and go hunting team. GCG

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

3 hours ago, Hairy Kneel said:

Could have been. 

Maybe with Garland and Podz and Hogs playing well Dickinson just kind of dissappears. 

I would like a couple good body checks at least. 

No doubt.   To me he's not much different then Hartman or on defense Soucy....lower level guys in MIN that were both noticeable in the bubble.   Hartman probably had a higher offensive ceiling.   Useful depth vets.   We need that.   As in guys like that.   I really want this team to push and make the playoffs.   That's when a teams mettle really shines or not.    Think we might have one that overachieve's come the post season.  Like LA did.   But not sure. 

Edited by IBatch
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, wildwood12 said:

I agree. How good is the 9th overall pick Dylan Guenther we gave up going to be?

6g 8a 14p in 13 games so far this year. Good but not great. Of course it will be interesting to see what he turns into. Unless he turns into a star like or better than Boeser we probably win the trade. Even then it's still a pretty good trade for us in that we got 2 bonified top players.

Edited by Gawdzukes
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Gawdzukes said:

6g 8a 14p in 13 games so far this year. Good but not great. Of course it will be interesting to see what he turns into. Unless he turns into a star like or better than Boeser we probably win the trade. Even then it's still a pretty good trade for us in that we got 2 tonified top players.

The Coyotes were wanting to get really bad to earn a top pick.  They knew having OEL and Garland would keep them too good.  Steal by JB, especially considering the three cap dumps given in return.  

• Like 1