The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Hypothetical] Who should replace Travis Green?

Rate this topic

Ilya Mikheyev

Who should replace Green as coach?  

203 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Green should have been replaced this last summer.

Its a little late now to go on a coach search.

Probably best to replace him with Shaw, while doing an extensive interview process to find a permanent successor.... and hiring someone in Summer 2022.

I can understand Aqualini's likely frustration.

Benning obviously told him Green was the guy, and worth extending.  Now, only a month and a half into the season and he is crashing and burning and the new contract is looking like wasted money.

1 hour ago, ShawnAntoski said:

Good point; but Calgary seems to had found a good re thread in Sutter.

Calgary was already built like a Sutter team for the most part though. And they spent the offseason acquiring even more of his style of players.

Benning on the other hand is infusing skilled guys into a lineup when Green has more success with grinders. It’s not matching the coach they have.

• Upvote 1

19 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Calgary was already built like a Sutter team for the most part though. And they spent the offseason acquiring even more of his style of players.

Benning on the other hand is infusing skilled guys into a lineup when Green has more success with grinders. It’s not matching the coach they have.

Good point; but Sutter had 30 games with Calgary last year; and JB had a chance, to do the same thing last year but instead  If the rumours are true, that Green is well liked within the organization - then it makes sense, why they re signed him and gave him a re vamped roster.   With hindsight, if the rumours are true, then they should just had given Green a different position within the organization (perhaps press secretary ?) and hired a new staff.   Anyways, the team is still playing lousy.

11 hours ago, Maginator said:

Marc Crawford.

This team needs a run and gun offence where the players have liberty to use their individual talent over a dump & chase system.

He's the only guy that makes any sense. I'm curious tho as to why the Hawks didn't offer him at least the interm job after they cleaned house.

Last night was the first game I've turned off before the 2nd since the days of Iron Mike ffs.

And if a coaching change will help fine but this doesn't look like a system issue, it looks like a team that before the Avs loss was coming around but obviously needed to be better in some areas but was still doing good in others.

But last night was either a 1 off or the beginning of the end for this core. The pragmatist in me thinks the former but that game (went back and watched the rest) was perhaps the worst game I've watched and I've been around to remember some truly awful teams.

It wasn't the score, blowouts happen but the utter lack of pushbsck and emotion was shocking.

Maybe the coach needs to go? I've said before if he's lost the room then he should be fired but firing the coach just to fire him is stupid unless an obvious replacement is available.

I suspect these next 2 games will tell a lot about this club, we lose both and play as pathetic as yesterday I expect heads will role, possibly even Bennings. The owners need asses in the seats and even a guy like me who has defended him and TG won't be able to defend another game or two like last night, or not scoring first while coming out flat to then give up a pp goal every single game.

All that being said if the team starts to win I hope the negative crowd will let the constant negativity  rest, as fans winning is what matters, seeing so called fans hoping to lose because they don't like the coach is dumb.

If we want to make the playoffs but bow out before round 3, Boudreau.

At least the games will be fun and who knows if Canucks is the team that Boudreau slays his playoff demons?

I kinda like Boudreau and maybe with Brad Shaw working on the defensive side of things, it might just work?

• Cheers 1

8 hours ago, DeNiro said:

Yea like that’s not a sign of a strong team.

I really can’t remember the last time this team won a game convincingly where the goalie didn’t have to do much.

When we win games it’s because guys like Demko or Markstrom held us in there as the other team dominated until we started playing halfway through the game.

Its either that or we start out strong and then sit back on a lead the rest of the game as our goalie stands on their head. There’s no middle ground with this coach. His teams don’t play a full 60 minutes like ever.

Dallas? That was kind of convincing and Demko didn't have to be outstanding.

1 hour ago, khay said:

Why? Not criticizing or judging but just curious if there is something that I or other general fans don't know about.

He’s got a great track record with teams performing well in the regular season and doing terrible in the playoffs. 

https://www.hockey-reference.com/coaches/boudrbr01c.html

Take a look at his last 5 years coaching and the 3/5 of his last years how his highly successful regular season teams were first

round exits.

I’m not interested in him I’m just not a fan.

TBH I’m not a fan of a lot of the coaches available and I don’t know who would be best.

I have a feeling benning will

be hiring Claude Julien though. 

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, R3aL said:

He’s got a great track record with teams performing well in the regular season and doing terrible in the playoffs. 

https://www.hockey-reference.com/coaches/boudrbr01c.html

Take a look at his last 5 years coaching and the 3/5 of his last years how his highly successful regular season teams were first

round exits.

I’m not interested in him I’m just not a fan.

TBH I’m not a fan of a lot of the coaches available and I don’t know who would be best.

I have a feeling benning will

be hiring Claude Julien though. 

Honestly, not a huge fan either and he is a bit old, might be outdated as a coach.

And big no to Julien. JB hiring him will be the end of my support for JB. Julien couldn't coach Habs, the next coaching staff that took over took them to the cup final.

We should've let Green go in the offseason and find a suitable replacement during the offseason.

Now, the best option is probably Brad Shaw? I don't think he has head coaching experience. 

Maybe Gronberg? This article says the Sedins are big time supporters of the guy (https://www.espn.com/nhl/story/_/id/31421880/the-top-rising-candidates-nhl-coach-gm-jobs).

• Cheers 1

I had been on the fence on who to hire as Green's replacement, But now I think i am fairly confident in Boudreau being that guy  to take this team to a playoff level team every night, I get he has his criticisms for his team's in the playoffs but looking deeper into it lot's of it is he just just is unlucky and happens to run into a hot team, With his time in WSH made the playoffs 4/4 times in all of his full seasons there (being fired just over a quarter of the way into his 5th season) He had lost to Tampa in 2011 who made the ECF that year, MTL in 2010 once again who made the ECF, the pens in 2009 who had won the cup that year and finally in his first season to Philly who did only get knocked out in the second round, His total regular season Record with Wsh was 201W-88L-40OTL For a outstanding .672 Points %. Now for his Tenure with the Ducks He made the playoffs 4/5 times in 2016 he lost to the Preds  which they lost to the sharks who went to the SCF that year, in 2015 Lost to the Hawks who won the cup that year (mind you he lost in game 7 of the WCF that year)  2014 Lost to the kings who the cup that year, (another close series losing in 7 in the 2nd round) and finally in 2013 lost to the Red wings who did get knocked out in round 2 to the eventual cup champs (once again a close series by losing it in 7) his regular season points % was .648 with a total record of 208W-104L-40OTL,  his shortest Tenure as a coach was with the mediocre wild He had made the playoffs 2/3 in his time there, in 2018 he lost the Jets who went on the the WCF and in 2017 to the STL who  did get knocked out by NSH in round 2 (the year the Preds went to the SCF) his points % is the worst of his career still at .581 which is still miles better then what Green has, his overall record with the wild was 158W-110L-35OTL, Boudreau has also shown he can adapt his systems to what ever strengths the team he coaches has, With WSH they were a very high end Offensive team compared to the trap system he played with the Wild, He has the 2nd highest points % of coach in nhl history, The biggest thing that really made me like him was this speech he did with the caps back in 2010  

Spoiler

Spoiler as some of the language is NSFW this team desperately needs a coach like this, He will take accountability when needed and will push his players to do their best. with all that he has my vote of confidence