The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] J.T. Miller Trade/Contract Talks

Podzilla

28 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Owner influence?  

We have seen this movie before Alf. When we are 7-10th in the conference come February/March, there is no chance we deal JTM at the TDL. This is/was the window to move him. The guy at the top will never trade one of your best players in a playoff push. We know this, but we don’t know better then this.

Edited by EP Phone Home
  • Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

1 minute ago, DeNiro said:

Nah this isn’t the Benning regime anymore, JR isn’t in the hall of fame for letting players walk. He’ll make sure they get something.

I absolutely hope you are right DeNiro. We can’t bleed assets like we have before. You are absolutely right that JM is no longer here and there should be a new mandate with the management as far as a long term plan goes. The cynical Canuck fan in me just doesn’t want to be disappointed so I’m already accepting what is to come. 

That said I will be happy to eat crow with a JT return and pieces for our team

to build back better. 

2 minutes ago, EP Phone Home said:

We have seen this movie before Alf. When we are 7-10th in the conference come February/March, there is no chance we deal JTM at the TDL. This is/was the window to move him. The guy at the top will never trade one of your best players in a playoff push. We know this, but we don’t know better then then this.

Except this team is deep enough up front to still make a push without him. 

Getting a young D man back would also bring more balance to the team.

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Nah this isn’t the Benning regime anymore, JR isn’t in the hall of fame for letting players walk. He’ll make sure they get something.

The decision to trade Miller at the TDL will be the owner’s.  Why did we pull JTM off the market a couple weeks prior to the 2022 TDL?  

5 minutes ago, Alflives said:

The decision to trade Miller at the TDL will be the owner’s.  Why did we pull JTM off the market a couple weeks prior to the 2022 TDL?  

Yeah owners shortsighted micro managing has cost us it’ll be interesting to see if FA has stepped back and is allowing the experts to do their jobs after all JR is nobody yes man puppet the same could not be said for JB. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, combover said:

Yeah owners shortsighted micro managing has cost us it’ll be interesting to see if FA has stepped back and is allowing the experts to do their jobs after all JR is nobody yes man puppet the same could not be said for JB. 

I sure hope you’re right and JR/Allvin have total freedom to make any moves they see as best, and at any time without the owner’s stamp.  

19 minutes ago, combover said:

The increase in the Management payroll under JR suggests to me that FA has full faith in Rutherford. I mean JR has assistants for the assistants. They probably have 2 guys on the skate sharpener!  

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Alflives said:

Because the draft was the target and almost happened.Nobody guessed it would be a hard year to get rid of contracts,but it is what it is.

I'd sign him 8x8.  

Miller is a PPG all situation top line C for 3 years, who is a leader on the team, we get a great deal for those ones.

Next 2-3 he is a solid #2, putting up 60-80 points while playing all situations, we get fair value at $8 mil.

Last 2-3 years he is a quality complimentary piece, over paid by 2-3 million.  In 6-7 years time, the cap will be way up, we will have had an elite player with us through his prime, so I'm OK with paying at the end.  As long as we don't have multiple bad deals, 2-3 million is not unmanageable.  (we have what 7-8+ in bad money now)

We will have, in my opinion, a top 3-5 forward group in the league.  top 5-10 goaltending, and a weaker D.  When the right deal comes along, move a forward for a D and fix that issue.  As it stands right now, we should be a playoff team, and in the division we are in, wining a round or two is realistic.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2

My problem with that is we have players coming up to contract years so we will have to trade others and right now we should get a good return for Miller.Even if we trade him we will have to trade at least 2 others,but signing him we will have to trade 3 or 4 and not get as good of a return.Either way saying this I hope the team gets better with or without him.

• Cheers 1

3 hours ago, Gawdzukes said:

A world where age catches up with athletes in the 32-38 year range ... which is the one we live in. :lol: Look at the Benn contract in Dallas. I'm sure they would rather have had that money to sign Gaudreau, Klingberg, go after Tkachuk, or spend elsewhere.

It's not necessarily going to be that way but surely you understand the risk and the possibility of it being problematic at the end? 

San Jose is paying Erik Karlsson (32 years old at present) 11.5 million till he’s 36 years old. He got 35 points and was -14 last year. That looks like an aging albatross of a contract.

• Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1

3 minutes ago, steviewonder20 said:

San Jose is paying Erik Karlsson (32 years old at present) 11.5 million till he’s 36 years old. He got 35 points and was -14 last year. That looks like an aging albatross of a contract.

Really puts OEL's contract in to perspective.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

24 minutes ago, steviewonder20 said:

Yes exactly. But all teams that win the cup have players like this so the sooner we get one the sooner we win right? :shock::P

• Haha 2
  • Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, grandmaster said:

You had me for a second. Thought something happened and this thread was to be locked! 

Lol it should be locked until something of substance actually happens.  Just make a new thread.  1130 pages is insane!  Reminds of that “burrows do we really need him thread”

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 2