The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] J.T. Miller Trade/Contract Talks

Podzilla

9 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

Depends, because there's a difference between regular season success and playoff success. Playing a different team every night is different than trying to go deep and eventually having to play Tampa, Carolina, or Florida in a seven game series. 

Are they good enough to beat these teams in a seven games series? Particularly if any of them add? Florida's been rumoured to be looking to add for a while. 

Acquiring Miller could be a kingmaker type move for a team like the Rangers or the Avs. Given how he's played this season he could absolutely be the piece that pushes a team over the top, and that's gotta be worth pondering. 

Is Schneider so irreplaceable that they wouldn't be willing to move him for that piece? Fox played 22:13 against Winnipeg the other night, he's back, which likely puts Schneider behind him and Trouba again. Is the guy currently playing 3D for them really going to be the sticking point during a season they could go for a run? 

I think based on how things have progressed (Miller looks possessed these days... playing at almost a 2.0 PPG clip for awhile now) ...

I'd want Schneider, Kakko, and a 1st for Miller and Schenn.

55 minutes ago, Jester13 said:

False equivalency.

If you've never had a concussion then you don't know what it's like to experience it. I had one when I was a teenager and it sent me into serious depression, where I wouldn't leave the house or talk to anyone for a very long time. That's from one while wakeboarding, so it's easier to imagine now what it could be like after three concussions from playing high-level professional hockey. To speak about it like you do is insensitive towards a serious situation. 

Now you know three people who have had one before. 

yet I've had double digit concussions in my life and have little to no long term issues.  Every person is different.  One thing is for sure, they don't take chances with them anymore and always err on the side of caution, which is good

3 minutes ago, stawns said:

yet I've had double digit concussions in my life and have little to no long term issues.  Every person is different.  One thing is for sure, they don't take chances with them anymore and always err on the side of caution, which is good

Essentially my point with all of this. HSKR saying he's talked to two friends who have had them and can still talk for themselves is merely saying they're all like that. They're not. And, yes they don't take chances anymore, and rightly so. Anyhoogan...

2 minutes ago, HKSR said:

I think based on how things have progressed (Miller looks possessed these days... playing at almost a 2.0 PPG clip for awhile now) ...

I'd want Schneider, Kakko, and a 1st for Miller and Schenn.

That's not a package I'd say no to, but I'm not really sure where the Rags stand on Kakko? I think they'd be more willing to move him than Laffy. He hasn't really come out guns blazing thus far during his career and he's a pending RFA. 

Maybe something like Miller, Schenn, and Motte for Schneider, Kakko, a 1st and Kravtsov? I think Motte could probably get more, but I think some of his value would be greasing the wheel. He's also someone I could see asking for more than we want to pay him, probably more of a rental for the Rags. I've been saying we might want to look at replacing him internally with Lockwood or Jasek for a while. 

Kravtsov has questionable value right now because he's over in Russia, but he'd apparently be willing to play elsewhere. He's an intriguing talent and I'd trade Motte for him. Could see the price having dropped since October, perhaps moreso with everything going on in Russia.

1 minute ago, Jester13 said:

Essentially my point with all of this. HSKR saying he's talked to two friends who have had them and can still talk for themselves is merely saying they're all like that. They're not. And, yes they don't take chances anymore, and rightly so. Anyhoogan...

I agree, they're not, every person is different

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, stawns said:

I competed at decent (ish) level in my prime. I remember leaving the gym after heavy spar and going home to be viciously sick. Terrible headaches, nausa, brain fog, the works. I would lay in a dark room until it was time to go to work out in the shop, or school and then repeat it again the next day. I have suffered through migraines and headaches, as well as depression and anxiety for most of my adult life now.

I remember going to my coach with these issues and him telling me I wasn't drinking enough water, or even better yet "didn't have a warrior spirit". Looking back, these were definitely concussions and have had long term effects on me.

That's the reason a portion of my practice is focusing on treating concussions in athletes and every day people alike. I would never want another person to feel the way I did at the time, with a complete lack of support and empathy wether it was due to lack of education or just an old school mind set.

Everyone's different and some people get really lucky with head injury recovery, but they should all be taken equally serious. I'm sincerely happy you don't have any lasting effects of your injuries, 10+ is a rough go.

• Cheers 3

1 minute ago, Shayster007 said:

I competed at decent (ish) level in my prime. I remember leaving the gym after heavy spar and going home to be viciously sick. Terrible headaches, nausa, brain fog, the works. I would lay in a dark room until it was time to go to work out in the shop, or school and then repeat it again the next day. I have suffered through migraines and headaches, as well as depression and anxiety for most of my adult life now.

I remember going to my coach with these issues and him telling me I wasn't drinking enough water, or even better yet "didn't have a warrior spirit". Looking back, these were definitely concussions and have had long term effects on me.

That's the reason a portion of my practice is focusing on treating concussions in athletes and every day people alike. I would never want another person to feel the way I did at the time, with a complete lack of support and empathy wether it was due to lack of education or just an old school mind set.

Everyone's different and some people get really lucky with head injury recovery, but they should all be taken equally serious. I'm sincerely happy you don't have any lasting effects of your injuries, 10+ is a rough go.

I grew up on the rodeo circuit falling off horses, riding steers etc and then as a decently high level hockey player who enjoyed the part of the game where you punched people in the face and they punched you back, so I've had many.........like you people just didn't understand what a concussion really was and the treatment was generally just don't sleep for more than an hour and get ready to play the next game if you can.......which you always did.

I was one of the lucky ones

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, higgyfan said:

I think Canuck fans will be very disappointed in the return from a Miller trade.  Expectations are getting ridiculously

high.

We also have to consider the economic landscape of the league. While it is true that Miller's value will likely never be higher, it's also true that this is probably the worst time for teams to be trying to move star players for high end prospects. Potential impact players on ELCs are more valuable than they've ever been in the flat cap era, and teams simply aren't willing to give those players up for a big ticket item like Miller.

Ultimately I think it's all but guaranteed that Miller stays put for now.

• Vintage 1

1 hour ago, Coconuts said:

That's not a package I'd say no to, but I'm not really sure where the Rags stand on Kakko? I think they'd be more willing to move him than Laffy. He hasn't really come out guns blazing thus far during his career and he's a pending RFA. 

Maybe something like Miller, Schenn, and Motte for Schneider, Kakko, a 1st and Kravtsov? I think Motte could probably get more, but I think some of his value would be greasing the wheel. He's also someone I could see asking for more than we want to pay him, probably more of a rental for the Rags. I've been saying we might want to look at replacing him internally with Lockwood or Jasek for a while. 

Kravtsov has questionable value right now because he's over in Russia, but he'd apparently be willing to play elsewhere. He's an intriguing talent and I'd trade Motte for him. Could see the price having dropped since October, perhaps moreso with everything going on in Russia.

Oh cool they can have Poolman.

6 hours ago, HKSR said:

Ok then, tell me another time other that Hodgson and Brule where the parent spoke on behalf of a player's injury status. 

It’s more about who the journo finally got in touch with. 
If he couldn’t get in touch with Byram he had to take whatever.

As long as the team is winning, I highly doubt anything happens at the deadline for us. I feel like the management is just going to ride it out with Miller until next season.

Edited by shiznak

1 hour ago, shiznak said:

As long as the team is winning, I highly doubt anything happens at the deadline for us. I feel like the management is just going to ride it out with Miller until next season.

I think they try to move dead weight contracts (Poolman, Dickinson), but more than likely they do nothing if they’re in the hunt.

Unless someone makes a huge offer for Boeser, all of these deals will be available in the summer. 

They gotta re-sign Motte too.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

13 hours ago, stawns said:

it's a big risk, no doubt.  I'd assume that they'd have every concussion expert they could find give their opinion on it before a trade and I'm sure there'd be some restitution clause in the deal as well.

However, if he were able to get fully healthy, you're looking at the #1 dman on the team in a few years, better than Hughes most likely.

Better than Hughes? 

I mean, for him to get there, he needs to remain healthy. 

How many concussions does he have? the kid's only 20 years old...