The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] J.T. Miller Trade/Contract Talks

Podzilla

1 hour ago, JM_ said:

I'm not so sure. We finally seemed to have recovered from losing the leadership of Marky and Tanev, not sure this group left is resilient enough and might need a few years to figure out an identity again. 

I doubt anyone is going to show up between now and the TDL with that 3-4 piece deal for Miller anyway, so this is likely pushed into the summer.

look at the rumoured offer for Giroux, a pure rental

58 minutes ago, Alflives said:

It seems like, under Benning, we made some very good trades, but the timing wasn't right.  Miller is great player, but was it good timing to give up all the futures to get him when we did?  

It clearly wasn’t good timing as the team wasn’t at the point where adding a player was going to make us a winner.  We have missed the playoffs aside from the weird Covid year when we weren’t in the top 16 but the league gave us a lifeline with adding a play in round.

The new management can certainly get more back for Miller than Benning paid… but that doesn’t get to be counted until a return is actually realized.  If he walks for nothing after next season and all we have to show for his time here was one bubble series win… and fewer prospects due to his price tag, that is a loss to me.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

12 minutes ago, aGENT said:

We can trade him for more now than what we paid for him. That's exactly the type of moves Benning should have and did make. Now we need to follow it up with another proper move by selling high on him.

Miller was also part of the team JB was trying to build with Miller, Ferland, Sutter, Roussel, Beagle etc etc etc.  The intent was good, but injuries derailed that team........I don't think MIller was ever seen as part of the young core team emerging

• Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1

1 hour ago, JM_ said:

I'm not so sure. We finally seemed to have recovered from losing the leadership of Marky and Tanev, not sure this group left is resilient enough and might need a few years to figure out an identity again. 

I doubt anyone is going to show up between now and the TDL with that 3-4 piece deal for Miller anyway, so this is likely pushed into the summer.

You can’t compare Miller with Tanev/Marky.

In leadership and lead by example they are way above Miller. 

37 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

Calgary on Saturday then fly to Buffalo with a potentially injured Pettersson.  We SHOULD win one of those games without question.  But.....What if we do?  One game win against either of those teams doesn't exactly budge the needle int he current standings and then we follow that up with Colorado and Minni mid week in back to back games then a home and home against St Louis.

It's a rough end to our month at best and could decide our season as early as next Thursday

Both those teams will be tough outs and I'm betting we lose both. I really don't like how we are playing. Everything JT is doing is magic and this won't last forever. Was last night the beginning of the end of JT's magic touch? Hogs is a bigger loss than his stats show. Pods is struggling, a rookie, so understandably so. Our D is still loosy goosy, our starts are embarrassing, we have no backup, Boeser is MIA. I predict a couple more losses this weekend and the Canucks the center of attention Monday morning. Magic 8 ball says so, lol.

• Cheers 1

I just don't think there is any way to ignore the following key facts:

-Miller is playing waaay above the level he has done in previous years and has huge value right now for playoff teams

-We didn't bring in a new management group including JR/EC/CG to stand pat and just evolve with the current roster

-Miller's contract based on increasing performance will be a lot, and it doesn't fit our competitive timeline

Either way, I think we get this done, I'm just guessing that JR/EC/CG are seeking the best deal and seeing who emerges on the table.  I would be shocked if Miller isn't moved.

• Like 2
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, JM_ said:

Definitely valid points. The team definitely miscalculated how important Marky and Taney were to the group. At the same time, Horvat was also a young first year captain. Now that Horvat has had 2 more years to develop as a captain and EP, Hughes, and Boeser are all 2 years older and more mature I stand by my initial thought that while a factor, the leadership loss is now manageable. 

Very true that Miller has probably priced himself out of a trade at this point though. 

49 minutes ago, Diamonds said:

Definitely valid points. The team definitely miscalculated how important Marky and Taney were to the group. At the same time, Horvat was also a young first year captain. Now that Horvat has had 2 more years to develop as a captain and EP, Hughes, and Boeser are all 2 years older and more mature I stand by my initial thought that while a factor, the leadership loss is now manageable. 

Very true that Miller has probably priced himself out of a trade at this point though. 

How does Miller price himself out of a deal? No change to Vancouver as to what is acceptable value or not. Miller is a #5 center or higher in the NHL. I would be shocked if JR isn’t asking for a player, and any combo of prospects and draft picks. It is doable for any number of teams based on their need. 

3 hours ago, Alflives said:

Well, of course.  But realistically we have Demko, Hughes, and Petey who are untouchable.  

Maybe it's a good thing we lose these last three before the TDL?  Sends the message to our owner to listen to and take the guidance from the managers he's hired to turn us into a consistent contender.

Exactly.

The right price won't come....but I'm sorry Hughes is gone for the right price.

3 minutes ago, Chris12345 said:

Exactly.

The right price won't come....but I'm sorry Hughes is gone for the right price.

Would that price be one of the maybe 3-5 Dmen under 25 that are "better" than Hughes?

Edited by nergish

11 minutes ago, nergish said:

Would that price be one of the maybe 3-5 Dmen under 25 that are "better" than Hughes?

Could be....could be 5 first round picks. hahaha

Like I said for the right price. Realistically it doesn't happen.

I just don't like the closed thinking we aren't trading player xyz.

Edited by Chris12345
  • Huggy Bear 1

1 hour ago, BPA said:

I see the bare minimum to be $9M x 8yrs.  But probably they are targeting $10M x 8yrs given that he’s top 10 in scoring and plays in all situations.

You're probably not too far off, and if that's accurate,  and JT is at or near his career peak, that would be an instantaneously regrettable signing for this franchise. 

Jt agent tweeting “show me the money” while funny 

I’d rather not have a 9mill 34 year old with years and years of a cap handcuffing contract. 

when if traded the high level picks and prospects could be just coming int there primes while he fads away. 

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, Boudrias said:

How does Miller price himself out of a deal? No change to Vancouver as to what is acceptable value or not. Miller is a #5 center or higher in the NHL. I would be shocked if JR isn’t asking for a player, and any combo of prospects and draft picks. It is doable for any number of teams based on their need. 

Priced himself out as in his play has made him worth more than teams will be willing to give up. Yes, Miller is probably a top 5 center right now (or at least top 10) but that means it should cost a lot to acquire him. This fan base would tear Allvin/Rutherford apart if it felt the return wasn't high enough.

This summer the cost can be re-evaluated as teams would only be buying 1 year and not 2 playoff runs. I would love to see a fair offer for Miller, I just don't think it will happen before trade deadline.