The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] J.T. Miller Trade/Contract Talks

Podzilla

11 minutes ago, Hogs & Podz said:

Friedman mentioning the preds as potential suitors for a JT trade looks like a good fit.  They are weak at c and they can afford to let Fabbro go.  They're in win now mod with lots of veterans.  If traded, that's where I'd lay my bet.

Hmm. That’s interesting. I didn’t see the Preds as a potential landing spot for JT. 

But I’d love Fabbro. 24 yo, RHD, could be a good fit alongside Hughes? 

11 minutes ago, Hogs & Podz said:

Friedman mentioning the preds as potential suitors for a JT trade looks like a good fit.  They are weak at c and they can afford to let Fabbro go.  They're in win now mod with lots of veterans.  If traded, that's where I'd lay my bet.

Prokop please.  Very likely he's on the block after the ownership change.

1 hour ago, N4ZZY said:

Hmm. That’s interesting. I didn’t see the Preds as a potential landing spot for JT. 

But I’d love Fabbro. 24 yo, RHD, could be a good fit alongside Hughes? 

Fabbro is also from Coquitlam, BC.
He only got 24 points playing next to Josi though, albeit in just 66 games. 
Then again, Josi doesn't get 96 points without him... It's actually insane how many points he got last season. 

Edited by Nave

24 minutes ago, Nave said:

Fabbro is also from Coquitlam, BC.
He only got 24 points playing next to Josi though, albeit in just 66 games. 
Then again, Josi doesn't get 96 points without him... It's actually insane how many points he got last season. 

So would Fabbro be a good fit for Hughes as a defensive partner?

I don’t know much about Dante. Is he more of an offensive defenseman, or more defensive?

The preds seem to have pieces that will make us happy and they would love to have Miller so we shall see.I thought an eastern team would make more sense but hey they give what we ask and everyone is happy.

Edited by cripplereh

44 minutes ago, N4ZZY said:

So would Fabbro be a good fit for Hughes as a defensive partner?

I don’t know much about Dante. Is he more of an offensive defenseman, or more defensive?

Just giving a quick look at his stats, it seems as though he's deployed in the Ozone more than he is the Dzone. Take that for whatever it's worth.

Personally, I wouldn't want him being the main piece coming back in a Miller trade.

• Vintage 3

4 hours ago, Hogs & Podz said:

Friedman not giving all the details.  Would be for a 1-year rental in Nashville.  That's not the same return as trading him with an extension in place for Vancouver.

Here's his extended segment on Nashville radio and not just the two lines he dropped on his own podcast.  Sounds more like speculation.

Poile was on the same show before Friedman explaining that they have very limited cap space next year with extensions due to some key players like Jeannot, Carrier,  etc who if they continue on their trajectory are going to get significant raises.  They are looking for a 1-year fix to improve their 2nd line but don't want to give term.   The host recaps that discussion in the segment with Friedman but it's also available on their podcast where you can hear Poile himself explain it.

Friedman talks of how Vancouver has been extremely weary of allowing teams talk to Miller about an extension so he thinks it could work in Nashville's favour as 1-year rental.

Edited by mll
  • Cheers 1

6 hours ago, Westcoastcanucks777 said:

People say if it reaches 1000 Old Ruthy will do it

Rumor has it JR is actually a frequent poster here and he's just been sitting on a deal because he likes reading all of the action during his morning coffee.

I'll give you one clue. It's not SilentSam.

But yes, he's given me his word on a dm. Miller is as good as gone once we reach 1000. All good thing must come to an end he said.

• Haha 3

2 hours ago, mll said:

Friedman not giving all the details.  Would be for a 1-year rental in Nashville.  That's not the same return as trading him with an extension in place for Vancouver.

Here's his extended segment on Nashville radio and not just the two lines he dropped on his own podcast.  Sounds more like speculation.

Poile was on the same show before Friedman explaining that they have very limited cap space next year with extensions due to some key players like Jeannot, Carrier,  etc who if they continue on their trajectory are going to get significant raises.  They are looking for a 1-year fix to improve their 2nd line but don't want to give term.   The host recaps that discussion in the segment with Friedman but it's also available on their podcast where you can hear Poile himself explain it.

Friedman talks of how Vancouver has been extremely weary of allowing teams talk to Miller about an extension so he thinks it could work in Nashville's favour as 1-year rental.

Nashville has some interesting pieces, if we could get a deal done with a team who's okay with not having an extension in place it could make the whole process much easier 

At that point you're just figuring out the pieces going both ways

• Like 1

3 hours ago, mll said:

Nashville doesn't seem like a good fit to me at all.... Fabbro is smallish, and really hasn't done much. Carrier is also a very small d man. 

I can see how Miller would really help their top 6 but don't see them moving any of their d in the trade. Sissions would fill a need here tho but he wouldn't be the main part of a deal, at least I hope not. 

Edited by JM_

6 hours ago, King Heffy said:

Prokop please.  Very likely he's on the block after the ownership change.

Carrier, Prokop, Trenin and a first...

3 hours ago, mll said:

Poile was on the same show before Friedman explaining that they have very limited cap space next year with extensions due to some key players like Jeannot, Carrier,  etc who if they continue on their trajectory are going to get significant raises.  

We can take Carrier off their hands and then they don't need to give him a raise ::D

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, mll said:

Well, even trade deadline rentals get a 1st rounder and a prospect. 

With JT Miller being being the top "rental" player available, and getting him for a full season, I would still expect the same return or more. 

If our original ask of a 1st, prospect, young roster player is too much, I would be happy with a combo of 2 out of 3 of those pieces, as long as the player or prospect is somewhat high end. 

1 minute ago, Gawdzukes said:

Trying hard not to trade Miller are we? ;)

image.png.acaeae6b36596e039bd3c9f9e6ad51f4.png

This has been my RD target ever since @stawns mentioned him last trade deadline. It would be awesome to add this 6'5 220lb rd to the prospect pool. Thank Gawd it's currently empty as this big lad may cause an overflow when he jumps in.

He'd be a nice balance with the smaller Carrier, to bring some size to the back end on the right side. Carrier can play with OEL, Prokop perhaps eventually with Hughes (though he needs some development there and obviously he's not the "ideal", top pair, Ekblad-esque guy we'd all want).

• Cheers 1

JR knows how to keep top end players on the team happy and productive.

We are not so accustomed to that level of patience in our previous management teams.

So as fans, we fret, and worry about worst outcomes, and lose sight of the big picture.

JR had arguably the 2 best centers, an outstanding defenseman, and good goalies and re-signed them, contract after contract.

I trust JR to be able to handle our top players properly as well.

I still think the bottom line here is, "What does JT want to do?"

If he wants to stay here and keep this Beautiful Thing going, JR will get him a contract.

If JT wants to move on, JR will trade him.

That is why JR said he will not feel pressured to act until the TDL.

At that point, it is, Fish or Cut Bait.

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

1 minute ago, aGENT said:

Carrier, Prokop, Trenin and a first...

We can take Carrier off their hands and then they don't need to give him a raise ::D

Would they really give up 4 assets for a rental and when they are looking for a 2nd liner.  Miller would be really the higher end of what they seem to be looking for.  They tried to sign Niederreiter in free agency - not a Miller level player.

CBJ has to clear cap space and could be moving Nyquist, who Nashville had interest in a few years ago - he's not as impactful but would still be an upgrade over Kunin or Tolvanen who were in their top-6 last season.  

14 minutes ago, Goal:thecup said:

JR knows how to keep top end players on the team happy and productive.

We are not so accustomed to that level of patience in our previous management teams.

So as fans, we fret, and worry about worst outcomes, and lose sight of the big picture.

JR had arguably the 2 best centers, an outstanding defenseman, and good goalies and re-signed them, contract after contract.

I trust JR to be able to handle our top players properly as well.

I still think the bottom line here is, "What does JT want to do?"

If he wants to stay here and keep this Beautiful Thing going, JR will get him a contract.

If JT wants to move on, JR will trade him.

That is why JR said he will not feel pressured to act until the TDL.

At that point, it is, Fish or Cut Bait.

And if at the TDL we are in a playoff spot or fighting to get in will JR/Allvin still have the go ahead from our owner to move Miller?  JR can say he will “feel pressure” to trade Miller as the TDL approaches, but I doubt we actually trade Miller at the TDL.  I hear JR saying something like “we are a playoff team, and Miller is our rental.”  And he will add they will still try and sign JT after the season.  

25 minutes ago, Gawdzukes said:

Trying hard not to trade Miller are we? ;)

image.png.acaeae6b36596e039bd3c9f9e6ad51f4.png

This has been my RD target ever since @stawns mentioned him last trade deadline. It would be awesome to add this 6'5 220lb rd to the prospect pool. Thank Gawd it's currently empty as this big lad may cause an overflow when he jumps in.

I dunno about Prokop... he looks too happy.  Need more meanness in his face :P

• Haha 3