The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] Bo Horvat Trade/Contract Talks

HOFsedins

6 minutes ago, R3aL said:

He could very well want out. He’s at a point where he’s sick of losing and wants to win.

he wanted to do it here.

the timeline might just not work now. 

if he wants out then we have to trade him for maximum value and we should all appreciate how hard he’s working and producing right now.

he should fetch a monster return 

It’s too bad. He’s easily my fav Canuck and arguably the most consistent every single year in every category.   

A blockbuster move is required though 

13 hours ago, Coconuts said:

management will look like idiots 

they already look like idiots at this point, what more do they have to lose except for their jobs? 

And if they lose their jobs, who's going to want to step into this mess with an owner that has a reputation of meddling? 

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

My big concern is that resigning Kuzmenko and Bo will probably leave us 8M over the cap (including Miller's 3M raise). Not only that but we will still have not addressed our glaring hole on defence.

A Miller trade straight up for a defenceman fixes that problem but that's already proven impossible.

The harder way around it would be to trade Brock or Garland for a defenceman, cap dump the other, dump Pearson, maybe dump Myers and sign a UFA. Severson and Dumba are just two of the many UFA names out there.

How about this:

1) Garland + conditional 2nd if we resign him (do it for 5M)

2) Pearson for a 4th

3) Myers for a 2nd or 3rd

4) Sign Dumba 6M

That takes us to square one, to fit Bo and Kuzmenko we'd probably have to flip Miller or Brock for picks. Say we sign Bo for 7M, Kuz for 4M and flip Boeser for a late 1st or 2nd.

Mikheyev - Pettersson - Kuzmenko

Miller - Horvat - Podkolzin

Hoglander - Lazar - Karlsson

Joshua - Aman - Lockwood

Hughes - Severson

OEL - Dumba

Dermott - Schenn

Rathbone

Lose the excess wingers, keep the quality, get much better on defence and we get a bunch of picks too. A bottom 6 UFA signing would be nice if we could squeeze the cap.

Dumba and Severson are massive No’s for me. We need shutdown guys.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

2 hours ago, J-23 said:

Dumba and Severson are massive No’s for me. We need shutdown guys.

This guy was labelled as the best shutdown guy in his draft year at that time.

https://thehockeywriters.com/andrew-peeke-the-next-ones-nhl-2016-draft-prospect-profile/

After maturing for those years since he made the team for a full season last year at 23 and spent time on the top pairing. 

It's not just balancing out talent in your lineup either it's also about balancing your cap. 

He just signed a three year extension that  kicks in next year at $2,750,000. 

Drafted in the second round, admittedly early, however makes one realise the importance of 2nd picks, and identifying the talent you need to build a competitive team.

• Huggy Bear 1

2 hours ago, sassbs said:

It’s too bad. He’s easily my fav Canuck and arguably the most consistent every single year in every category.   

A blockbuster move is required though 

Well his value will never be as high I would think what he’s doing right now is crazy 

8 hours ago, Coconuts said:

I've said it before and I'll say it again. If Bo goes Miller should be right behind him. Losing Bo would be a huge blow to this team's ability to compete sooner than later, and I reckon Miller's got maybe another three seasons of high end production in him before he begins to tail off. 

If Bo goes I don't see Miller fitting the timeline, I don't envision us being a contender over the remainder of his best years. Whether we'll be a playoff team itself is in question. If they trade Bo they may as well ship out as many vets as they can and mostly tear things down. Keep the youth, sign stopgaps, do an actual rebuild. 

I'm fine with moving either Miller or Boeser to add to the d-core. Bo not so much as he as shown himself to be a good leader and FO man. He is lights out on office right now but has had extended periods in the past with scoring droughts. I also wish he was a tad more physical. If Bo goes I still want Miller traded but would be easier on Boeser. All of this is thrown up for reconsideration if PA can nab a top 4 UFA defenseman. It still required CAP space.   

4 hours ago, J-23 said:

If JR truly wants to extend Bo, the longer he waits, the more expensive he will get.

Bo does not look like he will slow down this year. 

Don’t think he’ll break 50, but well on his way for 35+.  If this is a real step, can’t see how every contender won’t want a piece…

He’s playing himself off the team imo. 

Would prefer Bo start preventing high danger chances and goals against rather than scoring 50 goals in a contract year...team might actually start winning more games. The team can clearly produce offence but without improved defense/PK, they won't finish above a wild card spot and/or be successful in the playoffs. Improved defense comes with the right leadership, Bo is the Captain. Good Canuck but he is not going to lead this team to the next level...a big trade return is the best value (rather than a long-term contract during which Bo regresses to his normal results)

10 hours ago, J-23 said:

If JR truly wants to extend Bo, the longer he waits, the more expensive he will get.

Bo does not look like he will slow down this year. 

Ah good ol’ fashion F U to management from Bo.

Honestly, good for him. I hope he scores 50

• Cheers 2

3 minutes ago, -Vintage Canuck- said:

Just now, Warhippy said:

$8.25 easily.

Which makes Pettersson's next contract upwards of $9+ 

Which effectively prices Horvat out of our organization

Management will likely let this play out until the TDL and if he's still on fire, they'll move him for a big haul.  If he's cooled off, they could probably negotiate an extension in the $7.xx range.

Tomas Hertl got 8.1 mil x 8 this past summer, and has had similar point projections as Bo, and plays a very similar role as well. Same with Logan Couture who got 8x8 a while back.

Makes sense that Bo's hot start and how critical he has shown to be to this team that his ask is north of 8 mil. Sadly, signing Miller to his seismic deal doesn't really give us a lot of room to do the same with Bo.

• Upvote 2

7 hours ago, Boudrias said:

I'm fine with moving either Miller or Boeser to add to the d-core. Bo not so much as he as shown himself to be a good leader and FO man. He is lights out on office right now but has had extended periods in the past with scoring droughts. I also wish he was a tad more physical. If Bo goes I still want Miller traded but would be easier on Boeser. All of this is thrown up for reconsideration if PA can nab a top 4 UFA defenseman. It still required CAP space.   

I'd even be open to moving both, if we'd moved both back at the deadline I'd have been fine with it. But yeah, if Bo goes I'm adamant that Miller should too.

At that point we may as well just tear it and truly on building around the younger guys. At least the Bear move would still align with that.

26 minutes ago, -Vintage Canuck- said:

Wouldn't shock me, he could certainly get it via UFA. There are some teams out there who could really use a center of his talent.

24 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

$8.25 easily.

Which makes Pettersson's next contract upwards of $9+ 

Which effectively prices Horvat out of our organization

I'll be surprised if Pettersson doesn't come in at 10M+. 

12 minutes ago, JM_ said:

remember when Miller was going to get 9+? fun times.

Wasn't it reported that Miller came down on his price? If there's truth to that 9M+ predictions weren't so out there. Just because he didn't doesn't mean he couldn't have as a UFA. Top UFA's are almost always overpaid. 

23 minutes ago, HKSR said:

Management will likely let this play out until the TDL and if he's still on fire, they'll move him for a big haul.

This is exactly what people were saying last season with Miller and then we hung around the WC spot and nothing happened. 

Much like the team playing on the ice - this organization does not have a clear direction as to where they are going.  We're clearly not competitive.  We're not rebuilding.  We don't have youth/skill in the system.  We don't have a stockpile of picks/prospects to use as assets or to develop as reinforcements.  Other than a couple bright spots here/there (BoHo, Huggy, EP, ect....) we're entrenched in mediocrity at almost every level and it shows on the ice. 

I just wish ownership/management would make a meaningful move one way or another to set course on a definitive direction for the franchise.