The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Devils re-sign Jack Hughes

1 minute ago, RakuRaku said:

LOL... he's done jack shet in the NHL compared to Quinn but he's getting paid more... maybe he's got the face to sell products in New Jersey??

I'm not sure how the current salary cap can be sustaninable when teams just throw $$$ around like that.... while decent veterans who can put up 25-40 pts have to settle for $850k - $2M....

considering you win Cups with veteran teams, this trend is surreal

• Cheers 1

I immediately thought of other 1st OA picks that started out decently well and fizzled out as years went by... Nail Yakupov came to mind right away... Googled him and it's almost like he heard about this signing and thought to himself... "WTF?"

nail-yakupov-2018-690.jpg

• Haha 2

4 minutes ago, Bure_Pavel said:

Very few times does locking down your young star players for 8 years come back to bite you, great signing. Too bad our guys didnt want to commit to 8 years, though i can see why now. 

and I can see why the Canucks didn't want to commit to Petey for 8 years at this point

• Upvote 1

37 minutes ago, King Heffy said:

High risk, high reward.  Will either be a bargain or an albatross by the end of the deal.

It doesn’t seem like they have left much room for the “high reward” part.

Maybe if things go really well he could be worth a little more in the back half of the deal due to inflation.

Spending $3-4 million extra a year for the early years doesn’t seem worth saving $1-2 million for the last half.

1 minute ago, Provost said:

Maybe if things go really well he could be worth a little more in the back half of the deal due to inflation.

Spending $3-4 million extra a year for the early years doesn’t seem worth saving $1-2 million for the last half.

I think a good comparable will be Marner for Hughes, so it could be worse. The last three years of this deal will be a huge bargain and if they build their team properly they will have a window to compete in those years. 

3 minutes ago, Provost said:

I agree, that's probably their line of thinking though.  I personally wouldn't have signed the deal.

10 minutes ago, higgyfan said:

Salary cap compliance.

Sadly, a lot of fans don't let the facts get in the way of their rant.

No matter how many times they are told, a lot of people just will not change.

Edited by gurn

1 hour ago, Penskih said:

31 points last year and now signed 8X8. A little early for that, no? They must really believe in him

It’s a gamble that’s for sure. Opportunity to be a value deal but still this kinda money for him seems a little premature

30 minutes ago, hammertime said:

Yikes!!! What happened to the days of kids signing bridge contracts  and proving themselves. 

You have that choice or you can gamble on them early to try and get more value later I guess.

I don’t really like it from an athletes sport psychology perspective though.

kids gonna get the most money 1st year of contract and it declines each year. For 8 frickin years his salary declines and each year that money is worth less. I just don’t like it I guess from a motivational / psychological  aspect 

but hey we sign our kids on overly fair bridge deals and they crap the bed ahem brock COUGH PETEY