The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] Canucks trying to trade Halak

2 hours ago, Gawdzukes said:

Is it really worth it living in Edmonton vs Van for the next 3 months for (maybe) one playoff series?

On the other hand going to an actual contender may be cool in his books. I can't see why not, he's a competitor.

Buy him out. :lol::lol::lol: Gets funnier every time I read it.

I know right!   Hahah

Perfectly good backup, just trying to enjoy playing in Van for the 1 year he signed up for, and because he doesn’t want to go to Edmonton, we buy him out.  
That’s Simple Jack reasoning if I’ve ever seen it. 

On 1/28/2022 at 11:43 AM, BPA said:

Since Halak has a NMC and allegedly refused to waive, can Canucks do a buyout?

No. They can’t buy him out. Buy outs can only be done in the buy out windows in the off-season. His contract will be completed by the time the next buy out window comes into effect 

• Upvote 1

A backup goalie is not a great trade chip.  Even if Halak wanted to move?  He has an NMC.

I dont see us getting much better than what we received for Juolevi.  Be thrilled if we got what we received for Thomas Vanek. Which many complained about.

Its kinda a non story!

We all know the second he plays his 10th game the team that is holding his rights needs to pony up 1.25 million. Interestingly enough it doesn't necessarily go against next year's cap. If the team has the cap space at the time it can be added to this seasons cap. So if we trade someone (miller,Garland etc) before halak gets game #10 we can absorb halaks full cap hit this season and free up that room for next. It could also make him a more attractive option financially for other teams in trade value at the deadline if we can convince him to move. Food for thought.

8 hours ago, Canuck Surfer said:

A backup goalie is not a great trade chip.  Even if Halak wanted to move?  He has an NMC.

I dont see us getting much better than what we received for Juolevi.  Be thrilled if we got what we received for Thomas Vanek. Which many complained about.

Its kinda a non story!

Getting ANYTHING back (mid round pick?, B prospect) and getting out from the $1.5m bonus penalty next year is all the return we need.

• Cheers 1

35 minutes ago, aGENT said:

Getting ANYTHING back (mid round pick?, B prospect) and getting out from the $1.5m bonus penalty next year is all the return we need.

Halak is a good back up. I’m sure a contending team would want a solid back up just in case there’s injuries. 

1 hour ago, coryberg said:

We all know the second he plays his 10th game the team that is holding his rights needs to pony up 1.25 million. Interestingly enough it doesn't necessarily go against next year's cap. If the team has the cap space at the time it can be added to this seasons cap. So if we trade someone (miller,Garland etc) before halak gets game #10 we can absorb halaks full cap hit this season and free up that room for next. It could also make him a more attractive option financially for other teams in trade value at the deadline if we can convince him to move. Food for thought.

Didn’t know that. Thanks for that information. 

1 hour ago, coryberg said:

"Big save Dave" Rittich and his .904sv% went for a 3rd rounder at the deadline last year. Halak, his track record and his .918sv% is on another level.

So, we could probably fetch a 2nd round pick for Halak? 

On 1/31/2022 at 4:49 AM, the harry said:

New Jersey is calling, I heard.

But what can and will they offer? Tatar? Vesey? Zacha?

We’ve gone the Vesey train. Didn’t work out when he was here. 

Zacha could be interesting for Halak.