The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] Canucks trying to trade Halak

1 hour ago, gurn said:

Perhaps it has something to do with the fact he negotiated a NMC, so he wouldn't be moved?

Vancouver is a great place to live, why move, especially if his plan is to retire here.

Or maybe he just flat out believes a deal is a deal.

That would be my decision.

I sign a NMC- you are not moving me.

Or at some point the league could negotiatesome sort of payment to people that do get moved, after signing no move deals.

How about a $5 mill payment to Halak or anyone else?

And the $5 mill counts against the next seasons cap?

Why should the team get a break?  They signed the deal, they get the consequences.

I'm pointing out the dangers of  teams signing bad contracts

Because unless he is planning on retiring after this season and living in Vancouver, which I doubt, it's more beneficial to him to waive and go to a contender (imo), considering there's zero chance of us resigning.

Again, you seem to be missing the entire point of the post. I'm not saying he doesn't have the right to refuse to waive. I'm saying that I think it would be more beneficial to him if he did agree to waive. Unless he is planning on retiring and living in Vancouver, what exactly is the benefit of staying? There's a strong chance we miss the playoffs, and he wont be getting many starts down he stretch anyways. 

Kinda seems like you're hoping Rutherford and Allvin fail in convincing him to move.

Edited by 48MPHSlapShot

28 minutes ago, 48MPHSlapShot said:

Kinda seems like you're hoping Rutherford and Allvin fail in convincing him to move.

I'm saying 

if it was me I'd tell PA and JR to stop bugging me or face a grievance from the union.  I happen to believe a deal is a deal, and expect both parties to live up to it..

I'm also saying I'm fine if he stays and I'm fine if he leaves.

I'm also saying as a new GM to a team I'd feel ok with asking any of my players if they'd waive a NMC once; then never again.

Plus if as Gm I signed a player I'd live up to the clauses I agreed to, with out trying to force a player.

On the lip side, any player that has a NMC or NTC of various strength asks me for a trade; I'm willing, but that trade will be to whatever team gives the best deal, without any restrictions.

• Cheers 2

55 minutes ago, 48MPHSlapShot said:

Because unless he is planning on retiring after this season and living in Vancouver, which I doubt, it's more beneficial to him to waive and go to a contender (imo), considering there's zero chance of us resigning.

Again, you seem to be missing the entire point of the post. I'm not saying he doesn't have the right to refuse to waive. I'm saying that I think it would be more beneficial to him if he did agree to waive. Unless he is planning on retiring and living in Vancouver, what exactly is the benefit of staying? There's a strong chance we miss the playoffs, and he wont be getting many starts down he stretch anyways. 

That’s a little presumptuous and totally off base. 

I don’t hear that in anything Gurn is stating. 
And maybe consider an alternative…Halak is fine collecting the dough and perhaps doesn’t care about playing in the playoffs (for free).

regardless he signed a contact and has every right to allow it to play out whichever way he wishes. Sucks for us, but end of story. 

• Cheers 2

27 minutes ago, -Vintage Canuck- said:

I wonder if Halak will waive his NMC now.

I find this surprising considering the fact that Bruce has publically said in his pre game press conference that if Demko is happy to, he'll start back to backs going forward, so surely Halak must have known.

He has no right to be salty when he's lost this team so many games single handedly and Demko is out there battling harder than anyone else on the team. If he wants to play he should waive his NMC, he'll probably end up on a playoff team too.

• Cheers 3

57 minutes ago, CanucksJay said:

If we are selling, do we really care about halaks bonus next year? 

We should be under the cap anyway? 

I would only trade him if we don't have to add anything to get rid of him. 

Agreed, just ride it out. Not interested in paying a quality asset to move him when we're unlikely to make the playoffs anyway. 

17 minutes ago, KyGuy123 said:

Writing is on the wall here. If he doesn’t waive he doesn’t get his bonus.

Pretty sure he's already hit his bonus. And if he hasn't the Canucks refusing to start him wouldn't look good to future UFA's. 

Agents don't forget.

Edited by Coconuts

23 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

Agreed, just ride it out. Not interested in paying a quality asset to move him when we're unlikely to make the playoffs anyway. 

Pretty sure he's already hit his bonus. And if he hasn't the Canucks refusing to start him wouldn't look good to future UFA's. 

Agents don't forget.

He has 250k for a .905sv% as well.... but he would have to have an amazing run to hit that

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

28 minutes ago, coryberg said:

He has 250k for a .905sv% as well.... but he would have to have an amazing run to hit that

Halak has made $45 million in his 15 year career.  If he's worried about collecting his $250k bonus this year then he may need a new financial advisor...

• Haha 2

6 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Halak has made $45 million in his 15 year career.  If he's worried about collecting his $250k bonus this year then he may need a new financial advisor...

Was simply pointing out the fact that he does indeed have another bonus (as unattainable as it is).

It is however nice to know that at a certain dollar figure players don't care about getting more money. I guess that means JT miller will take 1.125m x 8 on his next contract seeing as he will have already made 36+ in his career.

:towel:

• Haha 2

Last night's post-game show on Sportsnet 650.  Woodley believes Halak has been willing to waive for some time now.  

Says his role hasn't been what he was told when he signed and that he didn't expect to be playing that little and thought it would be more of a 1B situation.  

Doesn't agree with the takes that Halak has been awful in Vancouver.  Tweeted this where he highlights that Halak was operating in the 4th worse environment according to the tracking company CSA and that it's really the last 2 games that did him in.  

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 2

7 hours ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

I find this surprising considering the fact that Bruce has publically said in his pre game press conference that if Demko is happy to, he'll start back to backs going forward, so surely Halak must have known.

He has no right to be salty when he's lost this team so many games single handedly and Demko is out there battling harder than anyone else on the team. If he wants to play he should waive his NMC, he'll probably end up on a playoff team too.

lol single handedly lost SO MANY games? u mean like 3? the islander and devils and anaheim? he's going to 100% not waive his NMC and stick it to vancouver lmao.. he hasn't been the great.. but the canucks have given him 0 supports in almost all his starts.. 10 game started 8 of those 2 goals or less scored.. 5 of those 1 goals or less scored. throw in demko scoring 1 or 2 goals a game? he probably lose most of it too.i didn't like the halak signing but this fan base treatment towards him in totally ridiculous.. go check out halak's advance stats.. he has one of the highest high danger chance against avg per game in the league. compared to the high danger chance vs martin who we like to compare with it's night and day.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

6 hours ago, Elias Pettersson said:

I heard, his financial adviser is Jack Johnsons parents....:ph34r:

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, -Vintage Canuck- said:

I wonder if Halak will waive his NMC now.

If in fact that's what happened and Halak balked at going in, I'd sit him in the press box tonight and get Martin down here asap.  If Halak doesn't want to do his job here he's welcome to move on.  

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1