The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Speculation] Canucks exploring Tyler Myers trade

brian42

The new coaching staff has Meyers playing extremely well. Maybe 6 mil is a bit high but only by a mil or so. If they move him it will be to clear cap space. They would be looking for a low cost replacement. 

Pearson , Hamonic, Poolman and Dickinson are the issue for the canucks. All three will cost to clear.

They need cap space !!!

I could see a Myers for Shultz solution or replacing a traded Klingberg solution, (assuming he gets traded) as others have suggested. But retaining cap, I have zero interest in.

We either take back (expiring) cap, or we're better off just keeping him. You're either spending less money on a downgraded replacement, or just as much, or more, on something comparable.

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 2

7 hours ago, Elias Pettersson said:

At 50% retained we could get quite a haul for Myers I think.  Big right handed Dman who can play in all positions.  At $3 million he would be valuable to alot of teams if JR wants to go that route.  It would have to be an overpayment though as we need Myers just like other teams need him.  

Pretty much every playoff team could use a RHD, so there could be lots of trade possibilities here. 

The only good reason to trade him is to save cap space so retaining any of his salary doesn't make any sense.  Well, it makes sense for other teams but not for the Canucks.  Can't we use a big right handed Dman who can play in all "positions" (didn't you mean situations?).  Anyway we need to do deals that make the Canucks better not make other teams better.  GCG!

• Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1

6 hours ago, Elias Pettersson said:

At 50% retained we could get quite a haul for Myers I think.  Big right handed Dman who can play in all positions.  At $3 million he would be valuable to alot of teams if JR wants to go that route.  It would have to be an overpayment though as we need Myers just like other teams need him.  

Pretty much every playoff team could use a RHD, so there could be lots of trade possibilities here. 

The thing is if you retain 50% of Myers what R-Shot dman can we sign that would be an improvement on Myers for 3mil? 

7 hours ago, Dazzle said:

People talk about Myers and his big contract, but the reality is that the Canucks need him. There's no other replacement.

100%!!! Myers has been solid this season and last... how are we expecting to challenge for playoffs in the near future if we just give up a big asset at a retained salary??? I say screw the retained salary and just go for reasonable returns!

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

45 minutes ago, Provost said:

No to retaining salary, yes to trading him if the opportunity presents itself.

I am not sure how folks think we can retool the team and make it better without moving pieces and cap out.

Here's a list of expiring/pending UFA RD (with appropriate hits) that might be interested in a Myers, with two more years, swap. Or to trade out their expiring D and then acquire Myers...

PIT - Letang 

DAL - Klingberg

ANA - Manson

WAS - Shultz

seems there's no definitive rumour to this, just a couple guys spitballing names.

Who replaces Myers in our line up?  What does our defense look like without him?  The answer isn't pretty

We're keeping him and his nmc/ntc ensures that

• Cheers 2
  • Vintage 1

they're going to have to make decisions to lower cap, get faster and more skilled. everyone has players they don't want traded.

some fans will be disappointed but changes must be made. we could be looking at 10 moves for next season. that's want JR does.

i say, bring on the moves, make this team a cup contender.

• Cheers 2

8 hours ago, Elias Pettersson said:

True, but moving $6 million at the deadline to a contender would be tough.  Don't think we'd get alot of interest at that cost.  At $3 million we could get ALOT more in a trade and still free up $3 million in cap space.  If we are also moving out Miller/Boeser/Garland then cap space is not going to be an issue moving forward if we are acquiring young prospects on ELC contracts.  If we can free enough space to go after one big UFA in the summer like Forsberg or Nichushkin then we should be able to free up enough space for that.

Theres so many great potential UFA's this year that don't look like they're getting re-signed. If we go into UFA with like 15m in cap space we'll clean up like Calgary did.

Obviously Forsberg is the jackpot, but would be very happy if we could pick up Domi and/or Rust. 

Miller to New York for a Schneider/1st/Kravtsov package gives us a RHD
Moving Pearson and Boeser too gets us to about 15m in cap space. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

If they can free up his 6 million and not retain any salary I'm open to doing it. If they take back a bad contract (pending UFA) from another team I'd be all over it. 

Believe it or not, Myers has value even at 6 million. RHD, tall, physical(in playoffs) you know a few GM's will bite. I actually think Myers is easily movable if the canucks want to go that direction. 

You guys are looking at this the wrong way. Canucks definitely would have another trade lined up to bring in a RHD to replace Myers. They probably are landing a guy making 5+ and don't that much money tied up on D. 

• Cheers 1