The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[GDT] Buffalo Sabres @ Vancouver Canucks | 20 March 2022 | 7:00pm @ The Rog (Buyers or Sellers Edition!)

Rate this topic

diesel_3

6 minutes ago, Goal:thecup said:

Yayyyy!  

I thought he deserved another chance, there were just too many on contracts ahead of him.

I think he is better than Burroughs.

C'mon Noah, grab that spot and don't let it go.

Hope he gets good minutes till the end of the season 

• Cheers 1

33 minutes ago, 73 Percent said:

I hear HF is toxic AF

That's all I've heard too

I'll poke around the Canucks and Hockey reddit's but at lot of the Canucks content is the same, I run across more around the NHL stuff on reddit though 

2 hours ago, Goal:thecup said:

I have been sick of how soft this team is for a very long time; the Marchand speedbagging of Danny was not the beginning for me.

I have (more or less) stopped complaining about it on here because the newer generations always call me out, 'the game has changed' etc.

I still think you can only afford a couple or at most 3 smaller, softer players, and those players have to be your absolute superstars.

If we are keeping Quinn, and I think we are, then we can't have Rathbone, Garland, Hunt, Petan, perhaps Hoglander, etc.

We need a couple knuckle-draggers who are also smart, like Tim Hunter for example, and that know when to go and when to go light.

Gudbranson got away with a crosscheck on Petey that sent him to the ice, in part because he is twice as meaty as Petey.

And, how in the hell are you going to crash the net, create traffic in front, etc if you are easily pushed around?

When JR really gets going here, I hope he brings in some big, fast, and smart wingers who can drop 'em and go a few rounds.

Change the unis back to Black etc., this blue and green looks lovely at Butchart Frikkn Gardens!

I remember at the time, the psychologist or whoever it was said the old colours were too quiet or something.

Then they went with the new colours and iced a team that took no prisoners.

And that team went all the way to the Stanley Cup Finals when nobody thought they would.

End rant.  (Just sick of getting pushed around.  Kick somebody if you have to; how 'bout K'Puke when he's layin' on the ice, two-hand slashing Schenn; incidentally with another non-call.)  Aaaarrrrghh!!

Sounds like you just described "The Swedish Touch" that this team has been inflicted with for over two decades and fully agree this team has lacked some serious physical strength and "Pushback Abilities" for a long time.   Hopefully when JR starts disassembling this Ardvark contraption of incompatible Jim Benning Players on Monday, he'll get some more determined, grittier players that give this team some sort of REAL identity rather than be known as a bunch of fragile  "Country-Club" 9to5 Finesse players like Petterson and Boesser.

Bambi GIFs | TenorPrince Charming GIFs - Get the best GIF on GIPHY

1 minute ago, -DLC- said:

That's a (good) coach trying to smooth over ripples in the water.

But I don't believe it...

https://dailyhive.com/vancouver/halak-boudreau-canucks-rift

That's one take.

He wouldn't be the first goaltender to be unhappy with playing time, I'd assume he thought he'd be playing more this season from the get go. If you look at his career numbers he's absolutely used to being a guy who's been used more than he has, last season in Boston he got up to 19 starts and that was the fewest he'd had since he played 16 for the Blues in 12-13. 

If Benning sold him on something different and it didn't come to fruition why shouldn't he be frustrated? Players want to start games, not mop them up. He went in and mopped up though, playing admirably in the process. 

And let's be real, up until these last two or three games he's been fine for Vancouver. Vintage posted this a little while back, but if you break down the games Halak's played this season he's actually gotten pretty piss poor run support, and we haven't exactly looked like worldbeaters playing in front of him. Up until December or January his numbers weren't too far off from Demko's if I remember correctly. 

Vancouver doesn't score for it's backups, or play all that well for them in general typically. We saw it last year with Holtby, now he's been much better playing in Dallas. People dumped on Holtby the same way they've dumped on Halak, ignoring the fact that Demko covers up a lot of flaws for this team. If the Canucks don't get a Vezina caliber performance more often than not from Demko they lose, and that's not sustainable. 

It's not just a Halak problem, it's a team problem and has been for a good while. 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1
  • Huggy Bear 1

And yes, I absolutely take issue with people making the backup out as some sort of scapegoat for the rest of the team two years running. I went to bat for Holtby several times last year over the same bitching and moaning people have done regarding Halak. 

If you don't score goals for your backup, or your starter, you're not going to win very often and we don't typically score for our backups. It took Spencer Martin, the guy folks clamor on about, three cracks while playing out his mind to finally get his first win. He gave up five goals in three games, clearly we weren't scoring. 

If you have to rely on your tender playing out of his mind every night just to have a chance at winning it says a lot about the team in front of him. 

• Cheers 1
  • Huggy Bear 1
  • Vintage 2

41 minutes ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

Stars are already up 2-0. Simple, we lose this and that's the season done.

Even though we're playing a rubbish team and back to back, we have to come out hard and angry with our pathetic performance yesterday.

6-2 Canucks

Don't want to be a downer but I think the loss to Detroit ended our playoff hopes. The only way we can make it is by beating out both Vegas and Oilers. Vegas can still be done but if the Oilers play .500 the rest of the way they get 94 points. So we'd need to play like 13-4-2 to beat that. Not happening and hopefully management realizes that. 

Edited by J-P
  • Huggy Bear 1
  • Vintage 1

1 hour ago, RWJC said:

Any update on EP’s wrist? I know he’s a gamer, but is he playing through something that might need a further look like rehab or potential surgery?

I'm not sure it's his wrist, looks like his legs. Guy can't skate.

• Haha 2

Gettin' fired up for the game.

Fog is lifting; we should be able to see clearly now.

Everybody's on edge; Canucks don't know who is going next.

Lost hammer; new guy still in transition.

Still got Miller so far; so far, so good.

Buffalo can be beaten tonight; give JR & Company some more to think about.

I liked the top 6 ice time Podz got at the end of last game (which we will talk about NO MORE).

Could we please see Podz start with Miller and Pearson?

That's a power line.

That trade stuff is exciting; or at least it was for a while.

But now it is time to get excited about the game tonight!

First Sabre that takes a shot at Quinner is going to meet his Schenn-Maker!

Yeah Baby!  Win!  Get back on the winning streak.

GO CANUCKS GO!

GO MILLS & PODZ!!

4:19

Tick

Tock

• Cheers 2