The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Trade] Canucks trade Tyler Motte to Rangers for 2023 4th-round pick

19 minutes ago, vancan2233 said:

There is one huge factor as fans is that we do not know what was offered for our players. As fans we over value worth or under value other teams players worth. We make trade situations that are not realistic and then are upset when those trade ideas do not happen. Assumptions are made about the timing or missed opportunities, but again we not not know what has or was offered during anytime line.  

Absolutely.  We do make assumptions.  And decide in our own minds what we think our players are worth and when you look at what fans of other teams see their players are worth it's often miles and miles apart. 

1 hour ago, -Vintage Canuck- said:

And what if he decided to take a discount and come back?

… unlikely indeed since those négociations already occurred…

Edited by Me_
  • Cheers 1

9 hours ago, iinatcc said:

Is it the best offer ... no. But it's fine and seems aligned with what most teams are getting for Bottom 6 forwards.

I’m sure it's the best offer we got. Glad to not lose UFAs we can’t afford to resign for at least something. I remember reading somewhere that our new GM doesn’t want to pay more than 2 million for 4th liners. Good on him.

• Cheers 1

Haven't seen anyone post this yet, so figured I'd share. 

It looks like GMPA had a chat with Motte/Motte's Camp before the trade and it looks like their current mindset is that Motter is worth more than what Hockey Ops believes, which is fair given our tight cap space situation. The quote starts below at the 1:51 mark.

While the return could have been better (an earlier trade prior to the Appleby deal, etc) but we acquired "an" asset for an expiring contract that could not be hashed out. Who knows, maybe Motter will be back in the green, white, and blue after his stint in the Big Apple. I can see him looking at the UFA market, gauging where he fits in, and then coming back to familiar roots. 

"... it's good; I talked to Tyler Motte, so..., it's part of the business, but we're a bit too far from each other."

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1

13 hours ago, N4ZZY said:

3-4M?? 

What has he produced exactly to deserve that kind of money??

I think he is a player who would produce well in a to six situation.

easy to call him or any player a 4th liner, when that’s all the opportunity he has been given.

Place Boeser on the 4th line,  and what is he going to look like?

its all about opportunity, which is what he wasn’t given here..  and from what I understand, is why he would not resign.

I beleive either Lamikko or Highmore would also be better than Boeser if given the same opportunities.

it’s the Trouble with most posters and analytics..

Face value. 
Opportunities need to be pushed and opened to reveal your best,.   Especially when they give it there all.

If,  we stuck Motte with JT and Bo or Petey.

You can’t tell me he dosent become better with that opportunity.

We have lost a lot with Motte..

and no , any grinder won’t replace the symmetry his attendance brought to all lines.

He is a 3m per player.   Easy

( he come the face value buzzards lol)

• Haha 1

I hope I am wrong but I don't think there is any kind of line up of teams wanting to trade for Brock and his contract.              When you hear over and over again  about the lack of intensity and work ethic at practices with this team it is worrisome and seems to carry over to starts of games.               Seeing  that we have hired and changed more management than number of players I hope they can identify and remove the players not bringing it.                                       If you can't follow the effort and production of JT.    Leading in goals assists. And points.  And Luke Schenn. Leader in plus minus and 2 time Stanley Cup champion  then get rid of them....

Excluding  Demko And Hughes and Garland

3 minutes ago, flickyoursedin said:

I bet it’s all just assumptions. I’m sure he’ll re-sign with the Rangers and we’ll all be like “would’ve liked him here on that deal”

there is no chance Motte re-signs with the Rags.  He's looking for the biggest contract possible.  And for guys like Motte (he's a fringe NHLer' fouth line kind of guy) that means he's going to the highest bidder, which will be a bottom feeder team who plans on trading him for a draft pick at the 2023 TDL.  He will end up in places like Ottawa or Detroit or Chicago.

13 hours ago, EP Phone Home said:

I hear you Iceman it’s been a long week and it’s only Wednesday. I’m absolutely saying that we should be happy we got something of value (grant it wasn’t what fans or the team completely wanted) rather than have Motte’s contract play out into free agency and lose him

for nothing. Something that we have seen all too often with our team. While a 4th is no home run and odds of the player drafted never seeing NHL ice are pretty good. That’s just being realistic but who knows, maybe we luck out and get the next Keith Yandle, TJ Brodie, Johnny Gaudreau, Braydon Holtby, Devon  Toews, Josh Anderson, Juuse Saros, Jack Rathbone or we could also get the next Tyler Motte who was yes also another 4th round pick. Not a guarantee and nothing in life is but it certainly isn’t nothing. And I that’s what the Canucks would’ve gotten if he stayed. 

I never liked hearing the Garland trade rumblings tbh. To me Garland was the returning centrepiece from the draft deal last summer. He has a great contract on a long term deal and I think he’s one of those players you definitely go to war with. So I’m very happy that we didn’t move him and he has a big role for us.

I believe that William Lockwood will be closer to our Motte replacement who has been doing well in Abby. We should see him get an opportunity on our 4th line pretty soon. He has a lot of speed and likes to hit, just need to see if he can chip in offensively like Motte did. 

Cheers Ice, hope you have a more palatable day today.

Thanks, I guess I've been really frustrated by management and fans alike, mostly JB who had good and bad points but at least he did his best to try and fill seats around building for the future but knowing he had contracts that he couldn't have unloaded but he did a valiant effort BUT left before the holes could be filled by trades or developed guy in the farm and now all I can do is again, hope JR  just does what he needs to do and not let the fans or media affect his decisions unlike any GM we've ever had. Even Burke commented on have to fight against the pressure of win it all now without actually have the depth to pull it off and if JR does the same thing... Ugh I don't even want to think about what will happen if the same ole stays in place and we have yet another soft team that gets destroyed eventually due to injuries in the playoffs. 

Yeah it's fun to watch in the season BUT it's not worth the heartache of watching your team get beaten on and sent packing, over and over and over. 

Other than that I'm glad we have a new management team who is seeing what JB was trying to do and finish the build properly so we finally have a elite team that's a serious contender every year, not just a one trick pony.

Will it happen? Who knows but I'll believe it when I see it.. :)

Edited by iceman64
  • Cheers 1

6 hours ago, flickyoursedin said:

I bet it’s all just assumptions. I’m sure he’ll re-sign with the Rangers and we’ll all be like “would’ve liked him here on that deal”

yeah. it could happen. but i think Motte's going to test free agency. he's waited this long, he ain't going to resign with the Rangers when he can test to see what he can get from the rest of the league. 

On 3/23/2022 at 10:06 PM, Elias Pettersson said:

Motte would have looked great on our 4th line in the playoffs...

And that's why we were able to at least get a pick for him rather than let him walk at the end of the season.

Would it have been nice to get better value? Of course, but if there was better value out there, it likely would have happened.

I don't deny what he could have done for us moving forward here, but if a contract negotiation's not going to look good, it's actually kind of refreshing to cut ties when we can actually get value back for a change.

• Upvote 1