The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[discussion] trading 2022 1st round pick

preamble:  

assume miller re-signs

assume canucks land pick #13-15 thereabouts 

assume canucks trade some players e.g boeser and acquire some picks/balance things out.

Are there young(ish) like players in the league the Canucks could target similarly when they traded for Miller? I think there would have to be some degree of team control for X amount of time as well. 

Would this be a move you’d be on board with given Miller re-signs/Demko&Hughes on current deals? 

What say you?

Discuss. 

Edited by Angry Goose
  • Vintage 2

Would heavily depend on what picks you think we are getting back to balance things out. I'm a bit wary of trading a 1st unless we're getting some youth in return (18-21 years old).

• Vintage 1

If we are to believe Rutherford, he's not interested in trading away high picks - he wants to use them to build the future of this club.  Things change and now Allvin is in the picture, but in the article (below) he specifically mentions not trading away high picks. 

https://theprovince.com/sports/hockey/nhl/vancouver-canucks/canucks-jim-rutherford-ready-to-get-aggressive

“How we’ll look at this in the future is we won’t trade high picks. Anytime we’re making a deal it’s for younger players and we’ll try to bring this team, really make it stronger over the next couple of years, to where it can start to be a regular playoff team.”

• Like 2

If they re-sign Miller, it would mean they are wanting to be contenders in a couple of years

They will have to unload cap space to increase Miller's salary + the salary for the player returned in

the trade.  Myers, Pearson, Dixy contracts would have to go.

I would only want it done if the return is the treasured RD or a player fills another position

that is lacking.  Middle pairing RD or top 6 FW under 24yrs.

• Cheers 1

Would HEAVILY depend on the picks coming back.  I'd be interested in talking to Arizona and or Montreal about one of their later firsts and a few of their second round picks.  If we had say pick 15 and could trade the ducks for say pick 21, 34 and 58.  I'd consider it.

or the 14th or 15th pick to the habs for picks 27, 52 and 63.  I'd consider it.

Maybe the Yotes.  Pick 15 for picks picks 28, 39 and 43.

Has to be worth it.

My belief is with the issues in Russia right now with what they're doing in Ukraine, and the newly instituted draft a good number of young russian players will slide like mad and be available in the late 1st through 2nd rounds.  THAT would be the motivation for trading for multiple early 2nd and a late 1st.  Imagine Yurov and Perevalov with our late 1st and early 2nd.  OOoohhhh baby

I'd still be more inclined to trade Pettersson and a + to the Habs for the 1st overall pick and draft Shane Wright.  Retain Miller for a few more years and then go hard for the next season on what we have.  Win or lose and if we look like we're falling apart trade miller at next TDL and see if we can go find our own Connor in the 2023 draft ;) 

You know, since we're just playing here.

• Cheers 1

Its not a particularly deep draft for us at that spot, but if by some chance Geekie is still at our spot, I'd stick with the pick. 

I'd probably only consider moving the 1st if

- we recover a 2nd round pick first

- one of either a right shot 3C (U27, with term) or top 4 RHD with term is available. 

I wouldn't use it to clear cap or make some kind of lateral move. 

• Vintage 1

24 minutes ago, Odd. said:

3 years without a 1st would be absolutely detrimental to this team, considering no one other than Miller is worth a 1st

I guess I may be in the minority here, and this is obviously arguable, but I think Garland gets you a 1st and Boeser gets you a 1st as well. Now it may not be a high 1st, but it's a 1st.

1 minute ago, Vinny in Vancouver said:

I guess I may be in the minority here, and this is obviously arguable, but I think Garland gets you a 1st and Boeser gets you a 1st as well. Now it may not be a high 1st, but it's a 1st.

If they are 2023 picks, then maybe? seems like another weird draft year. 

There's a heck of a lot of assumptions there you Qwazy Qwacker:)

How's about use the first we get from trading Miller to acquire player/s just like we got JT

with his 4.5 cost and keeping our 22 1st.

JT's having a career year, as much as it hurts we can't afford him.

I'd trade our first, if it was necessary to move up in the first round.

I'm trying to think, lots of picks become, a few picks 3rd and 4th, become a couple seconds, paired with our first..

Hope you get my drift.

That is, not trading our first unless it is to move up in the draft, or similar such thinking.

Yes, I have been drinking.

I keep thinking back to very early JR: where he implied the 2 year thing like it was this year and next year.

I would not be very surprised if next year is a year of 'living in interesting times' and not some mad dash for the cup (2022-2023).

Putting to bed the crap contracts and old stringie thingies attached.

Hang on to our 1sts, 2nds, and thirds (unless it is to improve them) and wait out a bit of transitions.

8 minutes ago, Cat Man said:

There's a heck of a lot of assumptions there you Qwazy Qwacker:)

How's about use the first we get from trading Miller to acquire player/s just like we got JT

with his 4.5 cost and keeping our 22 1st.

JT's having a career year, as much as it hurts we can't afford him.

These 1sts we can get for Miller, Boes, Garland, (others?) would be exactly what we need.

Of these how many, and 2nds, do you think it might be reasonable to acquire?

Must trade Miller 29 years old and next summer his contract will be up..Miller will demand 8.3 million X 6 -7 yrs..

No way do we want to get locked into another big contract with 30 year old..

Return for Miller will be high..

Must make this trade...Young RD and 3 prospects...

4 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Attach our first and Garland to dump OEL?  

"Hi Arizona, you know what you said about no backsies?  Yeahhh, I brought my receipt..."
No to moving the 1st though, much less for moving a still-serviceable top-4 guy in OEL when Garland would also be involved.
I'd see where we are upon trading Boeser/ Myers before considering moving the 1st when we should stockpile futures.

• Vintage 1

It would depend upon the return for the pick.  Some of the proposals where we receive multiple later first and second round picks sounds good.  I sincerely hope that both Boeser and Miller are traded so we won’t be back in a position where we are cap strapped.  Miller will not bring back as much as people are hoping as the team he is traded to will only have his services for the one season and playoffs.  Boeser is not worth the money needed to resign him and I would be interested to see what he fetches in trade.

Just now, nameci said:

It would depend upon the return for the pick.  Some of the proposals where we receive multiple later first and second round picks sounds good.  I sincerely hope that both Boeser and Miller are traded so we won’t be back in a position where we are cap strapped.  Miller will not bring back as much as people are hoping as the team he is traded to will only have his services for the one season and playoffs.  Boeser is not worth the money needed to resign him and I would be interested to see what he fetches in trade.

Yup.  We missed the boat on the biggest Miller return by not moving him at this last TDL.  We are very likely re-signing Miller, so trading our first for help now might be a way to help in the short term, because the long term is ruined anyway.