The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Miller’s Next Contract Total Dollars

Rate this topic

Alflives

Miller’s total dollars on next contract.  

46 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

34 minutes ago, aGENT said:

Cap matters to managment/us more. Total dollars are all players/agents care about.

Fair enough. I suspect trade protection is very significant too, especially to older player with families.

• Cheers 1

18 minutes ago, YEGCanuck said:

IMO any term more than 6 years is insane.

I'd love 4-5 years but that AAV gets real ugly, real quick.

6 is probably the compromise that still gets him money and security etc and keeps the AAV somewhat sane, but minimizes age related decline risk on the clubs end (though those last couple years could get UGLY).

Agree though, any longer than 6 years and I'm out!

giphy.gif

Edited by aGENT

If Boudreau is coming back then so is Miller.  No way Boudreau comes back to a team that just traded their leading scorer.

JR/PA will find a way to fit Miller's salary under the cap.  Boeser, Myers, Dickinson, Poolman can all be traded.  None of those players are really needed if we can get some RHD back in the trades.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

If Boudreau is coming back then so is Miller.  No way Boudreau comes back to a team that just traded their leading scorer.

JR/PA will find a way to fit Miller's salary under the cap.  Boeser, Myers, Dickinson, Poolman can all be traded.  None of those players are really needed if we can get some RHD back in the trades.

I think that Miller is back without a new contract anyways.  The reason being, that he is having a career season this year and has another full year under contract.  I think they wait a year to re-sign in the hopes that a more reasonable number and term can be negotiated because his numbers likely fall off a bit.  

7 hours ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Yup.  Our owner has set the direction (again) and he wants Miller signed.  So Boudreau has to be back too.

Miller will get 60 - 64 mil.  the term will determine the cap hit.  

10 hours ago, iinatcc said:

Can't see his contract being less than 9 AAV at this point. Considering what Hertl got.

Though this can change depending on how much Kadri signs for this off-season.

Yup.

Kadri and Gaudreau will be the benchmark Miller’s agent will be looking at.

It'll probably be top heavy and ideally 4-5 years extension (9 year 1-2? to 7.5-8.5 in years 3-4-5)? He'll need to take a hometown discount if the Canucks can keep him and Horvat. If he wants 9+ for 7-8 years, they HAVE TO TRADE HIM.

Edited by BureBurrito

Quite a few expert analysts have been saying $50 to $55M.  That's right in line with what I think too. 

Hertl's contract kicks in when he's 28 years 11 months old.

Zib when he's 29 years 6 months old.

Miller will be 30 years 7 months old when he plays his first game on a new contract, a year older than Zib, and almost 2 years older than Hertl.  Closer to 31 years old than 30 :blink:

Those years will make a big difference when it comes to his new contract.

Edited by HKSR
  • Vintage 1

I think it has to be in the 8.5 x 5 range.  That would be the only middle ground that makes sense to me, otherwise we should move him.  I'm still firmly in the move him camp if we can gain 2-3 strong young pieces that will be better for the franchise in the long term, but I can't ignore what he will bring for the next 2-3 years.  Essentially if the team feels their window is in the next 2 years then you keep him and if they feel the window starts in 2 years then you move him.

Edited by Kobayashi Maru

12 hours ago, aGENT said:

I'd love 4-5 years but that AAV gets real ugly, real quick.

6 is probably the compromise that still gets him money and security etc and keeps the AAV somewhat sane, but minimizes age related decline risk on the clubs end (though those last couple years could get UGLY).

Agree though, any longer than 6 years and I'm out!

giphy.gif

I agree that an 8yr term is too long for Miller.  I would rather see a bit higher salary at $9m x 6yr

with a M-NTC (16 team no trade). 

Keeping in mind that Bo will need a new contract as well.  Give him the longer term and less $

with the same M-NTC.  $8m x 8yr. 

Including the 2 dmen $14m that will be roughly $41m for 5 players:o

The following year it will be Pete $$$$10m and Podz $4m? 

Luckily OEL's contract expires before Hughes + Demko have to be re-signed.

It wouldn't be so bad if the Nucks had a higher skill level in Abby with ECL's who could replace

players reaching the end of their contracts. 

$10m + $9m + $8m for the best forwards is in the range for contending teams, but at this

point in the Canuck's projection it would be bloated for a team that is trying to make the

playoffs.  If they start contending in 2-3 yrs it wouldn't look so bad.

Having 2 dmen at +$7m is way out of line right now, but a contending teams often has the

top 2dmen in the +$14m range.

It's doable, but what a headache.  The salary cap has to be justified by the team becoming

contender in the next 2-3 yrs.