The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Dustin Brown announces retirement

Rate this topic

1 minute ago, EternalCanuckFan said:

The Canadian Game on Twitter: "NASA found water on Mars and Dustin Brown  couldn't even find water in a water bottle. http://t.co/UBQRfQGbeo" /  Twitter

Will always think of this photo when I think of Dustin Brown.

He had quite the career.  Could always tell that he was a pain to play against for Canucks' teams, particularly during his prime.

lol I was going to post the same picture.

Okay, don't judge - I once watched Hockey Wives several years ago and Brown and his wife were part of the show, and Dustin was saying after winning 2 Cups with LA, that he wanted to eventually give each of his 3 kids one of his rings.  3 kids - 2 rings   Let the family in-fighting begin!

21 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

Okay, don't judge - I once watched Hockey Wives several years ago and Brown and his wife were part of the show, and Dustin was saying after winning 2 Cups with LA, that he wanted to eventually give each of his 3 kids one of his rings.  3 kids - 2 rings   Let the family in-fighting begin!

Well not saying the Kings are going to win but there's still this playoffs..

25 minutes ago, 250Integra said:

Well not saying the Kings are going to win but there's still this playoffs..

and by announcing his retirement before the playoff starts, the team can rally around him, giving him one last chance at the big prize. Smart decision on his part.

• Cheers 3

1 hour ago, NUCKER67 said:

I vaguely remember that show...the only thing I can vividly recall was how much I hated Dustin Brown's wife.  Couldn't believe how much crap Dustin had to take from his wife (if I remember correctly, she was a collegiate hockey player herself).

I don't know how valid this is, but I remember reading that Dustin Brown grew up with a bad stuttering problem and was subject to a bunch of bullying because of it.  If true, good on him for becoming an NHL player with a long career that included a couple of cups and some decent honors. 

Hated him and still do, but if I were a GM in the NHL, I'd have a spot on the roster for him.

If they go deep and he contributes, I think he deserves to get his number retired.  If they burn out against Edmonton... I don't know.  Even in his prime he was never a true NHL villain like Marchand.  Yes, he doesn't tuck in his elbows and knees.  Yes, he would embellish hits or not drop the gloves after dishing one out.  But there were players far worse.

I respect that Kings core for sticking with their team during some tough years.  It is very possible they retire all four numbers (Brown, Kopitar, Doughty, Quick).

1 hour ago, Rubik said:

and by announcing his retirement before the playoff starts, the team can rally around him, giving him one last chance at the big prize. Smart decision on his part.

That’s exactly what Ray Lewis did with the Baltimore Ravens. He announced “his last ride” with the team before the playoffs and Baltimore won the Super Bowl against Colin Kaepernick and the 49ers. It is a wise move 

Edited by EP Phone Home

1 hour ago, bigbadcanucks said:

I vaguely remember that show...the only thing I can vividly recall was how much I hated Dustin Brown's wife.  Couldn't believe how much crap Dustin had to take from his wife (if I remember correctly, she was a collegiate hockey player herself).

I don't know how valid this is, but I remember reading that Dustin Brown grew up with a bad stuttering problem and was subject to a bunch of bullying because of it.  If true, good on him for becoming an NHL player with a long career that included a couple of cups and some decent honors. 

Hated him and still do, but if I were a GM in the NHL, I'd have a spot on the roster for him.

Yes, he did have a stuttering problem...................

Since childhood, I have stuttered. It was something I have learned to embrace as an adult but was ashamed of as a child and later as a teenager. It certainly took a long time to accept my limitations, but in the end, the realization was well worth it.

Of the approximately one percent of the world adult population who stutters, another is former captain — and later general manager — of the Los Angeles Kings, Dave Taylor.

• Vintage 1