The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Los Angeles Kings at Vancouver Canucks | Apr. 28, 2022

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

2 hours ago, iinatcc said:

So then does Brock both increase his trade value and demands a higher extension? :shock:

Yes. Not just in tonight's game, but his improved play since coming back from his injury probably has increased his trade value and increased what he will get if the Canucks take him to arbitration.  On the whole, that is good for the Canucks as I think he probably will be traded. With his late season surge I think he is now actually tradeable for a useful return. I am not sure if that was true before in light of his QO.

1 hour ago, *Buzzsaw* said:

That is exactly what I was thinking.

In fact, Boes looked a little emotional in the post game celebration... wonder if he knows he won't be back>?

Hard to say what is going to happen... if Miller can't be signed, then I think Boeser stays.  If Miller signs, then I have to wonder if there is room for Boes.

Hard to say we haven't been asking that same question for months... Old wonders and thoughts. 

EP, Bo, Dem, QH, Potz, are the foundation now, not including a few potential prospects that can get there but too soon to slot them in.

As great as Miller is and statistically speaking one of the best production seasons the organization has seen, we NEED to send him to a team that is a contender now and reap the rewards from what we receive from then when we are contenders 3ish years from now. 

There is absolutely no need for Miller now, when we are not in playoff contention let alone cup contention. 

That is a waist of his talent, and a waist of us not jumping on what he can get us. 

Brocks stock has dropped a little but can still get us a prospect and a top 31 pick, maybe also a bottom 2nd line dman, or a 3-4 line forward for depth.  

1 hour ago, Vancan2021 said:

Hard to say we haven't been asking that same question for months... Old wonders and thoughts. 

EP, Bo, Dem, QH, Potz, are the foundation now, not including a few potential prospects that can get there but too soon to slot them in.

As great as Miller is and statistically speaking one of the best production seasons the organization has seen, we NEED to send him to a team that is a contender now and reap the rewards from what we receive from then when we are contenders 3ish years from now. 

There is absolutely no need for Miller now, when we are not in playoff contention let alone cup contention. 

That is a waist of his talent, and a waist of us not jumping on what he can get us. 

Brocks stock has dropped a little but can still get us a prospect and a top 31 pick, maybe also a bottom 2nd line dman, or a 3-4 line forward for depth.  

The rebuild is over - at least for a year.   They wouldn't do that to this group.   Win tomorrow and .655 ish (under Bruce) in this conference is very good.   There is no reason not to expect the same or better next season.   Better is actually reasonable - EPs on,  Brock will likely be back on a one year deal ... and we can still trade Miller.   Can't rebuild forever.    Teams earned a shot in my mind.   As for the Skate.   Team loves them, most everyone does.   The heart this team has shown absolutely gets my vote for wearing it  - not every team we've had since we went to the Orca has my vote to have earned that right.   Hope to see it a lot more next season at home games.    And really hope to see it in the playoffs at some point in the future  too.    They all look like bosses out there wearing it. 

25 minutes ago, IBatch said:

The rebuild is over - at least for a year.   They wouldn't do that to this group.   Win tomorrow and .655 ish (under Bruce) in this conference is very good.   There is no reason not to expect the same or better next season.   Better is actually reasonable - EPs on,  Brock will likely be back on a one year deal ... and we can still trade Miller.   Can't rebuild forever.    Teams earned a shot in my mind.   As for the Skate.   Team loves them, most everyone does.   The heart this team has shown absolutely gets my vote for wearing it  - not every team we've had since we went to the Orca has my vote to have earned that right.   Hope to see it a lot more next season at home games.    And really hope to see it in the playoffs at some point in the future  too.    They all look like bosses out there wearing it. 

Well by that definition it means more the Rebuild is delayed for a year but still not over :lol:

But I still feel some sort or rebuild has to be done. At least from a core player standpoint since I can't imagine Miller or Horvat or even both being in the long term future with the Canucks. If Petterson, Hughes, and Demko are your core guys then you will need to build a team around their style of play. 

2 hours ago, iinatcc said:

Well by that definition it means more the Rebuild is delayed for a year but still not over :lol:

But I still feel some sort or rebuild has to be done. At least from a core player standpoint since I can't imagine Miller or Horvat or even both being in the long term future with the Canucks. If Petterson, Hughes, and Demko are your core guys then you will need to build a team around their style of play. 

Teams never stop rebuilding.   Re-structuring is a better word for teams like ours and half the league at this point - know re-tool is used, but for me at least that definition is better suited for veteran cores that need a boost to keep producing like ours back in 2014 - and like SJ's which almost actually got them a cup - and like what LA just did with Blake (and seeing some dividends) around an aging core of Doughty/Kopitar/Quick (all the rest are gone - Muzzin, Pearson, TT, good to very good support guys and one core guy).... This team won't go into rebuild mode if we sign two of Miller/Horvat/BB unless it's just because we suck anyways.    A complete tear down won't happen.   Highly doubt it anyways. 

Edit:  CHI re-tool became a rebuild by accident lol.   Our rebuild around the last core - didn't start until 2017.   When we traded Bieksa, Hansen and Burrows - all who finally waived. 

Edit:  To be clear.   IF we go back into rebuild mode - that means Miller, Brock and Horvat all get traded.   We can only afford all of them for one more year as it is.   Trading one doesn't put us back into rebuild mode it's just a hockey trade.   Trading all 3 yes then back to the suckage.   And we'd better pray it sticks.   Likely EP is also traded and possibly Demko as well.  If we are going to tank might as well just tank.   Like Lou said when he was in TO "we worked awfully hard, and did everything possible to be as bad as we possibly could"....  

Edited by IBatch

1 hour ago, DrJockitch said:

If Martin can play this well next year we should be a lot more competitive and be able to play Demko a bit less. 
Ultimately just a few points short is such a frustrating spot to be. 

Martin has been great! hopefully he and Clark put in work in the off season and keep Martin sharp.     

• Cheers 2
  • Vintage 1

13 teams are at a 100 points or better. 

Dallas got in 15-16 wins over .500 and 6 OT points. 

Vancouver is going to finish with either 9 wins above .500 or 11, with 11 OT points. 

Next year if we can continue with this type of pace under Bruce. Turn half of those OT losses into wins. 

Then this team can make the playoffs. 

Despite being behind the 8 ball. To finish the season only 5 points shy of making the playoffs that's one hell of a last half of the season. 

• Cheers 3

8 minutes ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

13 teams are at a 100 points or better. 

Dallas got in 15-16 wins over .500 and 6 OT points. 

Vancouver is going to finish with either 9 wins above .500 or 11, with 11 OT points. 

Next year if we can continue with this type of pace under Bruce. Turn half of those OT losses into wins. 

Then this team can make the playoffs. 

Despite being behind the 8 ball. To finish the season only 5 points shy of making the playoffs that's one hell of a last half of the season. 

Yup it made Canucks hockey fun to watch. 

I gotta admit, I was pvrd and fast forwarded through most of the games under TG starting mid Nov. 

What a disaster to the start of the season lol

• Cheers 2

6 hours ago, Vancan2021 said:

I agree those players are our foundation moving on. But I think it's foolish not to include Miller, the heart and soul of the team this season. Keep him for next season too when we will be capable of making noise in the playoffs. We are not rebuilding,  we're retooling. Our mostly young talent will be even better. We just need to upgrade our defense. Trading Brock will help do that. Plus Rathbone will be ready for prime time.

This team's record under Boudreau is a playoff team. Imagine if we had him for the whole season? Factor in losing Captain Bo (our best faceoff man), Pearson (which makes 2/3 of our 2nd line gone), Brock and Hoglander (top 6 regulars) to injuries for long stretches during our final push for playoffs. These injuries cannot be discounted as a reason, not excuse, for missing the playoffs. Take away any team's captain/top scorer for a dozen games and there will be an impact costing more than a few wins.

The Canucks will be a stronger team than people expect next season. I'm banking on it.

And by the way, you just wasted two waists! Lol.

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 1
  • Vintage 2

10 hours ago, CanucksJay said:

If Canucks were fighting for the playoffs, pretty sure refs would have called a penalty on Petey in OT right before the goal. 

The Boeser conundrum... 

What do you do... 

I don't think you can let an RFA go for free. 

At very worst, maybe a 1 year deal at the high cap hit. The following year Miller and Horvat contract ends and then management can decide which 2 to keep. 

I am pretty sure that was a holding penatly on Petey before what would have been his penalty. You may be right they would have called it on him but that would have been a miss on the hold before the trip.

3 minutes ago, -DLC- said:

Right, so rip the key player out in it all?...the guy who, aside from Demko, was the reason we were even IN the fight?

There is no need for Miller now? What? There's always need for a player like him which is why you value him so high in what he'd bring in return. But that's worth considering....allowing another team to snap him up for "potentials".

My good God, did you see the team turnaround a season that was all but done before Christmas? Some will take some losses that "we should have won" as examples of why it doesn't matter but, in doing that, leave out the wins that should've been losses. It does matter.

You don't start messing with the chemistry when a team's starting to really fire. Reset and hope to reclaim some of that, but even better? "As great as Miller is" is why you keep him.

Old Alf is starting to agree witht the sign JT thinking.  Last time we lost important leaders was after the bubble when both Tanev and Marky left.  It took us pretty much two years to recover from the effects that had on the group.  Losing Miller could do the same.  Best to keep these guys and move out younger ones if we need to keep the cap manageable. 

• Thanks 3
  • Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Old Alf is starting to agree witht the sign JT thinking.  Last time we lost important leaders was after the bubble when both Tanev and Marky left.  It took us pretty much two years to recover from the effects that had on the group.  Losing Miller could do the same.  Best to keep these guys and move out younger ones if we need to keep the cap manageable. 

Welcome to the bright side, Alf. Pleased to have you here!

It's true...the balance of the team was very much disrupted then (and would be again). Imagine losing the voice in the room that's the loudest but also the one leading the charge. That becomes an awfully quiet room.

• Cheers 2