The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Assistant coaches Scott Walker & Kyle Gustafson, and video coach Darryl Seward won't be back next season

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

13 minutes ago, JM_ said:

huh. Wasn't it his ideas that brought the PK back to life? 

Didn't our systems still suffer with Walker as the guy teaching them, and then when he got ill Shaw took over and we improved?  

• Vintage 1

5 minutes ago, Harvey Specter said:

I too am disappointed to hear that Boudreau's go-to assistant coach is not returning behind the bench for us in the upcoming season. 

I wish him all the very best in his future career endeavors if he continues on to a new coaching role. 

However, could this (personal) decision be linked with Walker being struck by an errant puck in the Jan 21st game against Florida. 

Struck in the head by a puck on January 21 in a game against the Florida Panthers, Walker has been away from the team ever since.

“He had vertigo,” Canucks head coach Bruce Boudreau told reporters. “Talking to him last night, he sounded a lot better, but he still gets a little lightheaded and stuff, so I’m hoping they find what’s wrong.”

https://canucksarmy.com/2022/03/08/miss-terribly-canucks-head-coach-bruce-boudreau-provides-update-assistant-scott-walker/

I recognize that Walker rejoined the team on Mar 16th but could there be lingering effects? I hope not :(

Assistant coach responsible for systems/structure.  Team was better with systems when Shaw moved into the role.  Not right though, as you point out, that a guy loses his job because of an injury. 

• Cheers 1

13 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Didn't our systems still suffer with Walker as the guy teaching them, and then when he got ill Shaw took over and we improved?  

that seems to be the thinking, I thought it was Walker. I think I was just so happy to see Baumgartner gone I whiffed on the rest. 

• Cheers 1

10 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Assistant coach responsible for systems/structure.  Team was better with systems when Shaw moved into the role.  Not right though, as you point out, that a guy loses his job because of an injury. 

Could be his own choice as he's also a part owner of an OHL team and was their President of Hockey Operations.  He could simply prefer to work in management.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

1 hour ago, -Vintage Canuck- said:

The Canucks are now looking for at least one new assistant coach:

More changes are coming — as expected — to the hallways of Rogers Arena.

Vancouver Canucks head coach Bruce Boudreau revealed Friday morning that assistant coach Scott Walker won’t be back.

He made the comments on the Bob McCown podcast, where John Shannon is a contributor.

Walker was the first person Boudreau contacted after he was offered the head coach’s job by Canucks owner Francesco Aquilini in early December and he agreed to return to the Canucks, where he’d worked previously in player development and where he’d broken into the NHL as a player, as an assistant coach.

Canucks GM Patrik Allvin told Postmedia on Thursday he and Boudreau were still reviewing staff.

“Bruce and myself are working, working on those things, you know, looking at the team and looking at the staff,” he said.

Asked whether a change was imminent, he paused, then replied: “I think we need some more time.”

https://theprovince.com/sports/hockey/nhl/vancouver-canucks/canucks-scott-walker-wont-be-back-as-assistant-coach

Like others, I'm wondering if this is health related. Walker seemed to be a BB pick and a great fit with the team. 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, JM_ said:

huh. Wasn't it his ideas that brought the PK back to life? 

I believe the more aggressive kill & multiple PK units were (partly?) his ideas.  

Him and Bruce seemed like a good pair. Im guessing Walker was the “details” guy Boudreau could rely on

Here's the podcast.  Interesting comment on how the trade deadline negatively affected the performance. 

Bruce did ask JR for extension. 

[The Bob McCown Podcast] BRUCE BOUDREAU on his decision to return to Vancouver, the Canucks and playoff hockey. #theBobMccownPodcast 

https://podcastaddict.com/episode/140029421 

Edited by Jaimito

13 minutes ago, Jaimito said:

Here's the podcast.  Interesting comment on how the trade deadline negatively affected the performance. 

Bruce did ask JR for extension. 

[The Bob McCown Podcast] BRUCE BOUDREAU on his decision to return to Vancouver, the Canucks and playoff hockey. #theBobMccownPodcast 

https://podcastaddict.com/episode/140029421 

Just throwing this out there: Given how close the team was, do we make the playoffs if we keep Benning while also bringing in Boudreau when we did?

2 hours ago, BureBurrito said:

he had vertigo...but seems odd leaving only after a few months being hired. 

Andd I had the impression  wife likes him at home. Usually wife won't leave mother and husband is second choice:lol: 

13 minutes ago, -AJ- said:

Our PP ranked 9th in the NHL. It was not an issue.

imo power play was hit and miss- it may have averaged out to 9th, but it stunk for awhile.

Same with our penalty kill, except it stunk for longer.

• Cheers 2

13 minutes ago, gurn said:

imo power play was hit and miss- it may have averaged out to 9th, but it stunk for awhile.

Same with our penalty kill, except it stunk for longer.

Yeah, our powerplay has always been hit and miss, though when it's hot, it's extremely hot, which is why it still finished top third in the league.

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, greenbean30 said:

I am thinking this was Scott's decision, and not the team moving on from him. I feel if the team was going to move on from any of our coaches this year, it would be King.

Bruce said he decided to retire.  

• Cheers 1

4 hours ago, King Heffy said:

Just throwing this out there: Given how close the team was, do we make the playoffs if we keep Benning while also bringing in Boudreau when we did?

I vote no