The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

2022 Training Camp Thread

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

8 hours ago, Muttley said:

Pearson had 34 points last season. He's not on the first unit power play so most of that was with Miller. I'll support Boudreau all day, but; I think the line

will change later on. Podkolzin looked so good with Miller late in the season. So far as Boeser goes, all depends on his fitness, speed and compete level.

Hope it works out as well as you think this coming year.

What do we have? Too many wingers!

What should we do? Trade the redundant ones!

How should we do it? Drive their value by playing him with our 99 point guy!

• Cheers 2

2 hours ago, Canuck Surfer said:

Hoglander?

He had a recurring groin / core muscle issue last season.  A total disruption for a guy who's power and agility is his calling card. Had surgery to repair a tear, spent summer rehabbing. Is a workout freak of nature, so I expected him back. Last year was more a reflection of his injury. He is an absolute core player for us if he can stay healthy!

Swearing Season 6 GIF by The Office

You got me, I thought that tweet was current. 

9 hours ago, Maginator said:

4th line dark horse for sure. He's got a decent amount of NHL games and Mike Yeo was really talking him up in that mic'd up video.

Yeah Mike Yeo and Bruce were both impressed with him and specifically mentioned that he had excellent practice habits.  

13th forward candidate?  The guy that spends most of the year just practicing with the team. 

3 hours ago, RakuRaku said:

Anyone noticed how Keeper has been doing at camp?? He'd have to beat out both Poolman and Burroughs to get a spot but I'm rooting for him!! 

Canucks Hour talked of Keeper having all the tools but for speed, so his injury will be the major test, but so far he's looked okay, in a good way. 

1 hour ago, Muttley said:

Well, when you put it that way...

• Cheers 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Muttley said:

Interesting.  I noticed they made sure not to include any clips of players who might be at risk of not making the opening night roster, meaning clips of players who could be fighting it out to make the 4th line or the 3rd D pairing, but they did include a couple of Hoglander's clips.  Does this mean he's been in their plans to start the season all along?  Is his placement on the Aman-Karlsson line only a ploy to get his butt in gear?  If so, it seems to be working, at least if you listen to Boudreau today.  I'm thinking he makes the team, at least as the 13th forward.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Kragar said:

One nice bit to pump things up a little bit more... just watched Friedge saying that he expects Demmer to make a run at the Vezina this year.

giphy.gif?cid=6c09b9522afa09fc90939cc0ce

again that'll depends on whether he's capable of the work load. he was burnt out after 50 games last season and barely made it to the finish line... actually looking back.. he was burnt out after 40 games.. 10 of the last 20 games he has a sub .900 sv% 14 of the last 20 games his goals against is 3 or above. well couple 2.9x in there but that's coz the game went to OT.

maybe the experience last year will better condition him for this upcoming season.. we go as far as demko goes.. if he runs out of steam again by march we are in big trouble.. 

just like calgary. markstrom was great up until april.. then he kinda ran out of steam or maybe injury.. and continued to crap the bed thru the first 2 rounds of the playoff and getting smoked by edmonton.

it'll be up to boudreau to manage the goalie.. he needs to give demko the extra breaks from practice and have the balls to eat a loss here and there even if martin is getting smoked to give Demko the break he need unlike last year pulling halak early on a demko game off.

2 hours ago, Captain Canuck #12 said:

Interesting.  I noticed they made sure not to include any clips of players who might be at risk of not making the opening night roster, meaning clips of players who could be fighting it out to make the 4th line or the 3rd D pairing, but they did include a couple of Hoglander's clips.  Does this mean he's been in their plans to start the season all along?  Is his placement on the Aman-Karlsson line only a ploy to get his butt in gear?  If so, it seems to be working, at least if you listen to Boudreau today.  I'm thinking he makes the team, at least as the 13th forward.

It's a fan made video. I wouldn't put much thought into it. 

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, Alienhuggyflow said:

He was also injured enough the last 10ish games, that he required surgery this summer. The only times Demko struggled over a stretch of games (twice) was when he was playing through an injury. I think if healthy he will be in the running for a vezina. 

Hopefully, Spencer can play like he did last season, so we can keep Demko rested and healthy.

well being fatigue also leads to higher chance of injury. his march GAA 3,4,3,4,2,3,1,6,3,3,1,4 he had 3 great games and the rest were borderline bad to really bad which i blame to fatigue. his last 3 games in april was atrocious partly due to injury and fatigue sv% below .850 in all 3 games with gaa of 4,5,5

demko will only be in the vezina if he stay fresh enough to last the season. he started 61 games played in relief in 3 + the all star game so he played 65 games last season which is almost double his career high. 

ideally i would play martin every 4th game and back to back.. this should keep demko relatively fresh even if it puts him at around 55-60 games.

far too many games where demko would play 10 before halak plays 1 game.. sure you want your goalie to be in a groove but at the same time you run fatiguing him before the end of the season and for the stretch run also you have your backup goalie coming in ice cold which was the case with halak..

if you play demko 3 martin 1 and slightly adjust for upcoming back to back.. that would put demko at 60 martin at 20+ with a few back to backs. which is the perfect scenario for workloads.. until demko proven he can play more than 40-50 games at high level without fatigue that should be the route to go

Edited by wai_lai416