The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

What should the Canucks approach be at the trade deadline if they’re in the playoff race?

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

Trade Deadline Approach  

92 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

If Bo's looking like he wants to exit, flip at the deadline.  Same with Schenn/ Kuzmenko.
Move Myers and Pearson to contenders for picks (retain cap on Myers if needed).  See if there's any takers for Stillman/ Dermott.
Boeser/ Garland really should be moved for top-4 RD help too.
Really hope we retain Horvat and can trim some overpriced guys.
Whatever we do, the answer is not to buy or make all-in moves.  Anything but this.

• Cheers 2

This is an easy one for me. Everything hinges on Bo - he needs to be signed or traded by the deadline. If he’s traded then we should be sellers whether we’re in the playoffs or not. If we get him signed we should run with what we have. Buyers (other than fiddling around the edges) absolutely not.

Lots of heavy lifting to be done in the off-season where we’ll find out if JR & PA are the dynamic duo or duds. Their story will be written on their ability to move contracts and manage the cap while re-inventing the d.

• Vintage 1

Just now, 4petesake said:

This is an easy one for me. Everything hinges on Bo - he needs to be signed or traded by the deadline. If he’s traded then we should be sellers whether we’re in the playoffs or not. If we get him signed we should run with what we have. Buyers (other than fiddling around the edges) absolutely not.

Lots of heavy lifting to be done in the off-season where we’ll find out if JR & PA are the dynamic duo or duds. Their story will be written on their ability to move contracts and manage the cap while re-inventing the d.

I agree with this. I absolutely do not think that we should be buyers - there is no world where this should be the case in where the franchise is at. 

We either stand pat and move into the playoffs with what we have, or we sell and if we happen to make the playoffs, then you go in with what you've got. Even if we got into the postseason, I cannot see this version of the team going very far. I can't even see them leaving the first round of the playoffs to be honest. They might be good enough to make it (barely), but they're not good enough to win and advance in the playoffs. I could be wrong (which I would be very happy to be), but I dunno, just don't see it from the eye test. 

• Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, N4ZZY said:

I agree with this. I absolutely do not think that we should be buyers - there is no world where this should be the case in where the franchise is at. 

We either stand pat and move into the playoffs with what we have, or we sell and if we happen to make the playoffs, then you go in with what you've got. Even if we got into the postseason, I cannot see this version of the team going very far. I can't even see them leaving the first round of the playoffs to be honest. They might be good enough to make it (barely), but they're not good enough to win and advance in the playoffs. I could be wrong (which I would be very happy to be), but I dunno, just don't see it from the eye test. 

Even if we get a seat at the table this is not the time to push in all our chips. 

Remember when Markstrom and Tanev were a season away from free agency and we were so close to the wild card spot then missed the playoffs.  Then we were gonna wait and 'see" and covid happened and they and Toffoli walked for nothing.

Ya, that's pretty much what I see happening with Horvat and Kuzmenko with our 1st round pick in play to get us over the hump beacsue this team just needs "structure" and totally not a rebuild

Sell off Garland and boeser regardless. I'll take some cap back but it must expire this off season. That money is to be allocated to kuz + some cushion to take on more cap + assets for next year. We need to focus gaining assets. Can't have a pool with only 3 guys who might turn into something within the next couple years... While trying to ascend from the basement. It makes no sense 

Edited by Mustard Tiger

44 minutes ago, R3aL said:

Kuzmenko I think we will be holding him if the intent is to resign. 

if they talk and he’s going to walk at free agency then trade him for sure.

or if they had a Gentlemen’s agreement to not move him for his first year so he has stability while learning nhl / new culture / English I could see that too.

if we let Bo walk I will be taking a mental health break from the team. 

I'm already taking a back seat this year.. Bo walking for nothing will be the final straw for me (for a year or two). I don't identify with the moves being made (or lack thereof) so why continue to waste energy? Now with that said, if they either re-sign Bo or trade him (my preference) then a little faith will be restored. Re-signing Bo to the JT Miller deal will require Boeser traded but I've been wanting that for years but to no avail. Logically one of Boeser or Garland would be the casualties. I would actually keep Myers for his final year as I do like his size and he brings balance being a RHD - ie. he's not worth paying to get rid of.

Continue to transition/balance the line up.

If you can move Myers & Pearson-do it.

If you can trade one of Boeser/Garland for positive value assets.

Canucks have some replacements already (Podz, Studnicka, Burroughs) that should be getting playing time.  

Id like to see the third re-jigged into a more energetic 2 way line that can play minutes when called upon.

• Upvote 1

55 minutes ago, BCNate said:

Teams that have 2 top C's, 2 PPG wingers,  a top D and a top G don't rebuild. 

This team is not as far off as people think.

To clarify, in order the last 5 cup winning teams have been

Colorado's top 4:  Makar, Toews, Girard, Johnson

Tampa's top 4:  Hedman, Sergachev, Cernak, McDonagh

St Louis' top 4: Pietreangelo, Dunn, Parayko, Bouwmeester

Washington's top 4:  Carlson, Orlov, Niskanen, Orpik

Pittsburgh's top 4:  Schultz, Letang, Maata, Dumoulin

When we speak of defense.  Outside of Hughes (who defensively is still quite suspect) the only team that is comparably as questionable in their cup run is Washington.  When you say this team is not as far off as people think.  We have had Miller, Horvat, Boeser, Pettersson, Hughes as the core for a minimum of 4 seasons and accomplished nothing outside of a single random covid playoff draw.  Our top "g" is currently our back up 

While we can be as optimistic as we'd like.  The reality is we do not have the defense to compete for a cup and that has been our legitimate issue since 2013 without any significant attempt to overhaul it.

• There it is 1

Stay put, most likely.   Might sell Motte type player like last year, or acquire depth RHD if price is dirth cheap.  Otherwise, the only "big" trade that would be made would be a 1on1 type of deal where we trade Boeser and acquire an equivalent RHD, for example.  But these types of trade opportunities don't come by very often.

I could see them being selective sellers. Pearson comes to mind as they could pick up a draft pick and make a bit more cap room for the off season. There could be other forwards depending on their play and what they can get for them on the market.

Canucks have demonstrated that with the emergence of Kuzmenko as a legit top 6. Pearson has become expendable.

21 minutes ago, Angry Goose said:

Continue to transition/balance the line up.

If you can move Myers & Pearson-do it.

If you can trade one of Boeser/Garland for positive value assets.

Canucks have some replacements already (Podz, Studnicka, Burroughs) that should be getting playing time.  

Id like to see the third re-jigged into a more energetic 2 way line that can play minutes when called upon.

I didn't answer to any but agree with the above statement. There is an imbalance and that needs to be fixed. The ability to improve will solely need to be relied on what other teams are looking for. If we have something they want, then make the move. Do not just hand out our assets for free.  The Bo dilemma needs to be rectified though, sign him or move him for assets. 

Being in a playoff spot should not determine whether we are buyers or sellers, we should be taking the best deals that gives us the ability to improve the team regardless.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Kootenay Gold said:

I could see them being selective sellers. Pearson comes to mind as they could pick up a draft pick and make a bit more cap room for the off season. There could be other forwards depending on their play and what they can get for them on the market.

Canucks have demonstrated that with the emergence of Kuzmenko as a legit top 6. Pearson has become expendable.

Pearson, like Myers, isn't a UFA until July 2024.  So he has a full year remaining after this one.  He will not have any true value (getting a pick back with a full dumperoo of his cap) until the 2024 TDL.  IMHAO We would have to add sugar to dumperoo Pearson any sooner.