The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] Canucks Getting Calls on Luke Schenn

Warhippy

14 hours ago, wildcam said:

Schenn is 33 year4s old? If you can get a 2nd rounder or prospect you must trade him? Canucks are 18th to 22nd next year Schenn will get slower and might be a # 7 OR # 8 guy soon..

Just like Willie Mitchell.   Hope he does get traded and wins another cup.   As of now he's the 3rd highest scoring RHD available (rental) and that's not his game.   Not saying he's as good as Mitchell was because that's for sure not true.   But saying maybe he's in demand because he's still got game.   

Edited by IBatch

7 minutes ago, GhostsOf1994 said:

Have you seen Weegars next contract?

He's struggling mightily this year and may already be on the decline 

8 years 50M, he will turn 30 during the first year of the deal...

Another OEL-like anchor?

Yeah, generally I’m not a fan of handing out long term contracts for age 27+ players. They’re rarely good value. And Weegar will be 37 when that eight year deal ends.

One option I’d be open to, however, would be dual retention. We retain on Boeser, maybe even the full 50% ($3.325M AAV), and then they retain on Weegar, like $1.25M AAV, so he’s down to $5M per year contract for us.

(Add whatever other pieces needed to balance the overall trade value.)

I think Weeger is still a better player than he’s shown this year in Calgary. He’s obviously in the decline phase of his career, just by virtue of his age, but I think he’s still got some good years left, and he could rebound in the short term (especially with a different team, coach, and systems) to something closer to the player he was in Florida.

I don’t like the length of his deal, but I’d probably be comfortable with it, even allowing for age related decline, at $5M AAV.

(This is just for fun. I doubt we’re seriously in the market for Weegar or that this kind of trade framework is what Calgary is looking for. Although they are rumoured to be interested in Boeser, apparently.)

• Cheers 1

7 hours ago, coryberg said:

He was most definitely a top 4 dman to start his career. Are you 12?

am i 12? well, my body says no... Im a bearded wrinkly man with a body that looks like a translucent frumpy beanbag... But my mind age.... well its complicated... some days i feel ancient with my old outdated views...like for instance... treat others the way you would want to be treated... and i think 12 year olds and i have a lot of similar view too.... Corn is amazing! the different spelling's of your and you're are not important, and that putting a cop uniform on and pretending to be a cop doesn't make you a cop... its just make believe...

Quinn is a top 5 dman in the league? Can I see your list?

for this Year? yes... you can see my list.

in no particular order.... Hughes, Fox, Dahlin, Karlsson, and im likely gonna get torn a new one for this name but Hronek

8th defenseman on one of the deepest teams of the last 20 years. He played 10 of 25 games and 8 of 23. How many games do you think gavrikov would have got on that DCore?

well 9th in 2019 7th in 2020... fine well go with 8th.... but if you combine those 2 teams he ranks 9th in GP and TOI...

I think Gavrikov would have gotten exactly "more games then Schenn" 

As for being lucky to get his name on the cup. He met the requirements there is no luck in it. It isn't a lottery.

Im not sure how to respond to this without sounding like a jerk... I'm not a believer in destiny... and it basically is a lottery if you are a defenseman in the NHL... the further down the chart you are, the less likely you will get your name on the cup... schenn did not meet 1/2 requirements for each season, and some players higher up the depth chart didnt get their name engraved... Like Coburn... Hockey is all about luck,,, and it was very lucky that he got his name on both years...

According to hockeyreference.com schenn has 38.6% Ozone starts and 61.4% Dzone starts this season.

Spider-Man Reaction GIF

What time line are you living in... in my timeline... according to hockeyreference.com Schenn has 46.5% Ozone starts... Click on this link maybe you can go through space and time and see that i was not lying...  https://www.hockey-reference.com/players/s/schenlu01.html

Funny thing is I never said schenn had more value (id be happy with a 3rd+4th)  just showed some numbers and said there is no way gavrikov goes for his rumoured ask (1st,3rd+4th). Definitely not worth stretching the truth and getting buthurt over, he definitely isn't worth an extra 1st in one of the deepest drafts ever.

Yes, you didn't.. I did...kinda... I think he is worth a 1st and will likely return a cap dump... and that the ++ depends on the cap dump coming back.. and i'm arguing he is a top 4 defenseman... i have also been arguing that many fans here are upset that schenn is being rumored to being shopped below a 2nd and a first... so much so that they get upset and bring up Gavrikov like they are correlated some how...

Edited by Bad_BOI_pete
  • Cheers 1

17 hours ago, coryberg said:

Schenn has almost double the points, five times the hits and is 13 plus minus rungs above Gavrikov despite playing 5 minutes less a night in similar deployment. Schenn also makes 3 times less, can fight and has 2 cup rings.

No way gavrikov goes for the rumoured ask.

Serious Schenn 33 - can fight, slow -- not going to get better. sure he has won a cup and can fight? I would still rather have the 27 year old D man that can play 22 minutes ..

Gavrikov 27 - 6'3 -220 lbs - plays 22.00 minutes most games a much better player then Schenn..

Trade Schenn before he gets hurt, 2nd rounder or prospect..... Vancouver will be bottom half of league 16th--22nd next season again..

12 minutes ago, wildcam said:

Serious Schenn 33 - can fight, slow -- not going to get better. sure he has won a cup and can fight? I would still rather have the 27 year old D man that can play 22 minutes ..

Gavrikov 27 - 6'3 -220 lbs - plays 22.00 minutes most games a much better player then Schenn..

Trade Schenn before he gets hurt, 2nd rounder or prospect..... Vancouver will be bottom half of league 16th--22nd next season again..

we should trade Schenn for Gavrikov.. some are saying they are worth the same amount...

I would make that trade instantly.... try and sign him... if not flip him..

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, 6of1_halfdozenofother said:

Wouldn't it be something if GMPA were to somehow make the trade with Boston as Schenn + OEL for a couple of 1st round picks and a cap dump... and yet somehow keep the terms under wraps until it's filed with the league... :bigblush:

I’d do OEL with $2 million retention and Schenn for Mike Reilly and Boston’s 2023 1st. 

45 minutes ago, wildcam said:

Both UFA rentals... age doesn't matter