The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Trade] Canucks trade Bo Horvat to Islanders for Anthony Beauvillier, Aatu Raty, 2023 1st-round draft pick

What every intelligent true elite fan of hockey has to keep in mind, is that we arent replacing Bo's production or faceoffs this year. This trade isnt about capturing momentary value of 2022-2023, in fact we will probably lose a lot more games with BO out which will help accelerate our desire for a big sell off.. That to many educated fans is an appealing thought.

Also, the assets they acquired may be valued differently by different GM"s maybe the assets in BOs trade are key pieces in future trades, remember we still got 8 months till the start of the next season so we got a lot more trading to do.

• Vintage 1
  • elephant 1

2 minutes ago, Sharpshooter said:

Yeah, I do. 

He has a young family that integrated themselves into the Vancouver area. 

It’s not a ‘high’ pick. 

Horvat also is the highest goal scorer. Not to mention the team’s Captain, not to mention he’s been ‘here’ from the start. 

How can this organization do him so ‘dirty’?

It’s such a shit way of showing loyalty. 

What messages does it send to the rest of the team left behind? 

We traded Linden and it was a different management group back then.  Linden was a God at the time, taking us all the way to the 7th game of the Stanley Cup finals.  Horvat doesn't come close to Linden in this city.

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1
  • There it is 1

17 minutes ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

Ouch. I know hindsight is 20/20 but I mean so is general hockey smarts.

Smart thing would have been to not re-sign Miller after a career year last year when he wasn't even in his final year and extend Bo to a 7M deal before his contract year. There was no way Miller was going to re-create a 99pt season, and there's always a good chance a player plays out of their socks in their contract year, especially with offence going up. Any relatively smart person could have connected those dots.

Then we'd have Bo down for 7M x say 6-7 years, and Miller scoring at a 70 point pace who we could have traded or haggle down to a 6-7M deal.

Management have really done Bo and Bruce dirty here and it's a crying shame how they've treated two of the best people in hockey. I know it's all a business but don't know what they saw in Miller over Bo to pick him over our captain.

It wasn't any more of contract year for Miller than it was for Bo last year. Both had one year remaining on their deals. They could have waited on Miller until midway through this season. But the same could be said of Bo who is "playing out of his socks" in his actual contract year. Personally I still think Miller is the better overall player and will likely remain better well into his 30's. 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

1 minute ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

Would love to know what the other packages were. I bet Boston were dangling Lysell and a 1st - no thanks. Detroit surely had Rasmussen in there but I think Stevie Y is too smart to part with a mid round first in a deep draft so probably was going to give us a 2nd or other prospect.

Not sure what Seattle or Carolina have to offer but the late firsts aren't very tempting, although they all have better center prospects than Raty.

The first rounder must have been the deciding factor in this trade. 

The first is what made the Duchene trade so great.

Of all the teams that would likely be bad next season it would be the Isles. Just need them to fall into the bottom 12 now.

• Like 1

Possibly the saddest thing here is that Horvat is the last Canucks player in the roster that had a direct connection with the Sedins (not counting Demko's 1 game in their final year)

Ok there also Boeser but still 

Edited by iinatcc
  • Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1

1 minute ago, SKCanuck28 said:

Say the Isles conditional draft pick sticks with Vancouver for 2023 and the Canucks finish right near the bottom and gain a top 3 to 5 pick. 

Does the team who ends up with the 1st overall in 2023 (say it’s not Vancouver) entertain offers? Or is drafting Bedard too good to pass up?

Vancouver could package their pick with the Isles pick, plus assets, and make a run at the 1st overall? What else would it take?

As a Canucks fan would you go all in for Bedard, or keep the 2 draft picks with it being a deep draft and build for the future??

I don’t think Canucks could get the #1 pick unless they traded Pettersson Hughes and both their first round picks. His value at this draft is what mcdavids was at his draft. 

5 minutes ago, RolexSub said:

I was hoping we get more in return instead of Anthony Beauvillier 25yr old who is only an average of 15 goals and 35 point per season and Aatu Raty whom was picked 2nd overall 52nd that has only 7 goals in 2yrs with Islander's farm team!!! Only thing good is a first rounder coming back but what is protected mean? 

Not very happy with this trade for sure!! With so many teams interested I can't believe we couldn't get a better deal in return!!! 

This is roughly what i expected. 1st rounder is likely in the 15-20, and we should be able to get a good player there in this deep draft. 

Raty is young and may be able to develop into something. 

Beauvillier is a middle six winger. Maybe a good glue guy that gels players together. We have this season and next to see what he can bring. 

It’s not a home run trade by any means but it’s roughly the right value for a pending UFA. 

The only down side is not getting a defense prospect. 

• Vintage 1

2 minutes ago, elvis15 said:

Alright, had some time with this now and like Raty (got a centre back at least!) but will see how he is with a better viewing. The first is good, but not great since it's protected. With Horvat needing to be re-signed still, I can see why the Isles would want that. Beauvillier is an extra, maybe a value version of Pearson but I don't know.

We don't replace Horvat's faceoffs, and what he brings on that end of things. It's going to be a sore spot when we didn't strengthen our defence with this trade and we haven't been great this year. And since we didn't add defence but rather another winger, we're probably keeping Miller at centre for now, and we might have more trades in the works (or hopefully at least inquiring about) for improving our back end.

That closes the door with Horvat the way this went down. I don't think the hopeful here will see him asking us what we'd offer come free agency. I haven't been the most impressed with management so far, even with things like the Kuzmenko deal. They have a chance now to make some changes so I hope to see progress. We have to do something other than stay where we've been while we have players like Pettersson and Hughes.

I have no problem with it being protected this year, if it slips to 2024, it becomes unprotected and the Islanders just sacrificed depth for the now. There's a good chance if they falter, we could get better position next season. Look what happened to Ottawa a few years ago.

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

8 minutes ago, CanuckRookieFan said:

Yep..a proven 18 goal scorer and an elite Finish prospect.. + 1st rounder in an incredible 2023 year.. WHY would LOU pull the trigger? 

This gives Canucks a huge boost in youth and assets,  its the best possible scenario. 

AB is 25, fair to say he's past "prospect" phase.  34 points past year, on pace for about the same this year.

2 minutes ago, R3aL said:

I dont think anyone is trading a top 5 pick.

IF we pick 1-8 we are drafting that pick and we have 13-18 we are taking that pick Im pretty confident. We need more prospects.

Hopefully will be a C and a D Man

what, 

you don't think we trade that 13-18 for a 6-7 defenseman with potential to play top 2 in Van?

2 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Maybe this move motivates the Devils and Rangers to make a move.

Could we play these teams against each other still?

Miller or Boeser to New Jersey??

They are going HARD after meier. He's good buddies with hischier soo I think it's safe to say they are going that route haha 

2 minutes ago, SKCanuck28 said:

Say the Isles conditional draft pick sticks with Vancouver for 2023 and the Canucks finish right near the bottom and gain a top 3 to 5 pick. 

Does the team who ends up with the 1st overall in 2023 (say it’s not Vancouver) entertain offers? Or is drafting Bedard too good to pass up?

Vancouver could package their pick with the Isles pick, plus assets, and make a run at the 1st overall? What else would it take?

As a Canucks fan would you go all in for Bedard, or keep the 2 draft picks with it being a deep draft and build for the future??

Ask the Habs if they'd trade Bedard for pick 6 and 13.  Then lemme know how being laughed at sounds in 2 different languages

• Haha 3

Just now, MaxVerstappen33 said:

Not interested in Bo for anything more than 6.5. Nugent Hopkins wanted to be an Oiler and signed for 5.1 million. horvat could have signed for 6.5 if he wanted to be a Canuck

I agree.  You take the outlier career season out of the equation and the 6.5x8 deal is a fair offer to BO.  He didn't want it, so good for him.  Maybe he will get more from Lou or another GM in the summer...

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

1 minute ago, gottalovethosenucks said:

Boeser please 

Any way we can add Schenn to Boeser to get another 1st? Then suddenly we're cooking.

Boeser is surely worth a high 2nd, Schenn worth a mid to late 2nd. Do two 2nds make a late 1st (on a good team?). NJD probably don't need Schenn but Boeser + Schenn + 2nd for Dumba + 1st makes a lot of sense (if Dumba's mainly a cap dump).