The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Trade] Canucks trade Bo Horvat to Islanders for Anthony Beauvillier, Aatu Raty, 2023 1st-round draft pick

4 minutes ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

I don't think I have to say it, but we've just traded the best trading chip we've had in arguably decades for, yet again, two forwards and a pick - no defencemen. This management seem to not care at all about fixing the holes on this D and it is the reason we're bombing out of the playoffs.

Value-wise, we get a mid-round first which is probably the key here (and difference compared to other teams' packages I'm assuming), Raty who's a big, strong but relatively unproven center (0.5 PPG in the AHL as a 20 year old), and a pretty average 25 year old winger in Beauvillier who's on a 4.1M cap hit for two years (must have been almost a cap dump by NYI, masked as a hockey trade).

In my books Allvin got fleeced here, this is basically Raty + 1st + bit of a cap dump (almost like sending something between Garland and Pearson the other way) for a 60 goal scoring top center.

My judgement is made up about this management, they've failed us. They may be able to turn around and flip Boeser or Garland for a defenceman but I just don't see it happening.

You can only make those statements if you have a crystal ball and know what the market actually was for Horvat. 

My guess is there were only actually 3 teams in on Horvat. After the Isles made their best offer, Allvin checked in with the other 2 teams and both confirmed they would not match and didn't have an equal offer that included a D.

If that's the case, what would you expect management to do? Do nothing and you run the risk of Horvat getting injured or the Isles pulling their offer after the rumour mill starts swirling again.

The trade isn't bad all factors considered and taking your emotions out of it .

Needed a centre prospect. 

Needed a first

Needed a roster player

Sure a D would have been nice, but CDC always overvalues our players.

This is what an expiring UFA is worth in a cap strapped league 

Now they can look at Schenn, Boes, Garland , Demko(I hope not) to try and improve D

• Like 1

Honestly, I don't get how we get fleeced so often in trades whereas other teams apparently strike gold effortlessly with players who aren't worth half their salt. Nils Lundkvist getting a 1st rounder all by himself? And here we have an over PPG player in his prime on pace for 50 goals who can't even get a non-protected first rounder? That just reeks of a steaming pile of rancid horse sh**. And we didn't even address our biggest need, defence, with our biggest chip. Now I'm not entirely sure what the 2024 draft holds so maybe management is using their foresight (for once).

• RoughGame 1

For the people saying this is underwhelming. I say wait a bit, in a scope…. I’d say the value coming back is actually close to what is expected of a player like Horvat. Beauvillier has tons of speed, tenacity, and defensive chops. Will be a fan fave. Don’t know a crazy amount about Raty…

The thing is we were all expecting a D man to come back, so that is a bit of a shock to me. But there must be more trades on the horizon, our management all have good track records and know what they are doing. They know defence is the biggest issue. I think this will be a good trade, as long as I see some better moves to shore up the D. 

just sucks so much to see our captain and beauty Scorevat leave. I wish him all the best!! 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Westcoastcanucks777 said:

Find another team …it’s like trading some fans away win win 

Chances are I've invested more time and money than you with this team over the years. I've got the right to be disenchanted with a team that has become a rudderless ship. Internally as an organization I've worked with them in marketing with some of my clients only to watch their best people run screaming from the building to be replaced by inexperienced incompetents. The problem is organizational wide and for the first time I have little to no confidence in the potential to right the ship.

So, I would appreciate you stay off your high judgmental pedestal with that sort of comment. A bandwagon fan deserves it. I don't.

Cheers

Hope I'm wrong. 

• RoughGame 1

3 minutes ago, Darius said:

If Lou is out of the playoffs come trade deadline, and he doesnt think he can sign Bo watch them Flip Bo to get a first rounder back.

That first would be from a contender... not even close to the same value

1 minute ago, mpass1 said:

Regroup and try to re-sign him in the offseason (unless some team offers him something ridiculous

You think he'd even entertain coming back after being treated as he has this year?  No way unless you way overpaid.

While he scores goals and wins faceoffs, he's not great defensively and doesnt fit a 3rd C role.  They have to hope Miller is a C or they better have a way to trade wingers for a C or get someone in free agency that can fill 2C/3C role.

Brothers/Sisters. 

This is why you don’t buy Sweaters for a team. 

Buy the sweaters for Legends. 

The owners nowadays don’t care about about their players. 

They don’t care about keeping players around unless if means they can make money off of them. 

This is not the the ‘hockey’ that we remember. 

It’s just a free for all. 

There’s no loyalty left. 

What a sad ‘new world’ we all live in. 

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, naslund.is.king said:

He had to he traded

Guaranteed this was the best offer available and to risk waiting till the last second for something better is suicide 

It's a good deal Raty is a unfamiliar name but he is actually a stud. Ready for a chance in the nhl and dropped in the draft

Beau needed a new scene and is 25.

Huge price for a rental.

This is a win homers

I'd love to know what the other deals out there were, I'm sure teams were low-balling Allvin.

If they knew they couldn't re-sign him, they should have let other teams talk contract terms with him over the All Star break at the very least. We could have gotten a lot more value for him then. I get why they didn't with Miller - they wanted to still negotiate terms with him, but if we were never going to bring Bo back, why not let other teams talk to his agent? If they had a trade and sign deal in place we could have got a lot more.

Beauvillier is pretty useless, a 35 point pace 3rd line winger on a 4.1M cap hit. He is really a cap dump to get Bo to fit in there, so they have to give us more value.

Raty is brilliant, an A-grade prospect, but to be fair he is still very unproven at the NHL level.

The 1st is golden considering where NYI are in the standings, a 15th overall pick could be a future top young player.

This isn't a retool trade, this is a rebuild trade. Fair play to management for fooling FA of the sort.

Great value, sure, but we haven't addressed our main need which is defence. I may come around to this trade if they use the pick to draft a defenceman (and we use our top-10 pick to draft a center) but I'm yet to see this management focus on defence.

If the Canucks come out of the Draft with Pelikka and one of Bedard/Fantilli/Smith/Michkov/Dvorsky/Sale + Raty thats a good step in the right direction. 

They can reshape the d core this off season with some cap flexibility. I do see more moves coming though.

• Cheers 1

Just now, Iron Man said:

Honestly, I don't get how we get fleeced so often in trades whereas other teams apparently strike gold effortlessly with players who aren't worth half their salt. Nils Lundkvist getting a 1st rounder all by himself? And here we have an over PPG player in his prime on pace for 50 goals who can't even get a non-protected first rounder? That just reeks of a steaming pile of rancid horse sh**. And we didn't even address our biggest need, defence, with our biggest chip. Now I'm not entirely sure what the 2024 draft holds so maybe management is using their foresight (for once).

Its because this management backed themselves into a corner.

They put themselves in a position whereby they HAD to move someone... and every GM in the league knew they were vulnerable.

• Cheers 1